Khorn Void

greg928gts

Check this out. I uncovered quite a large void in the plywood of one of the Khorns I'm restoring. I found a couple of other similar voids too. This is why I always check all the surfaces carefully before applying new veneer. This speaker has been this way since it was built in 1974. I wonder if it had any affect on the sound quality. It's right in front of the woofer.

Greg

post-11090-13819329620164_thumb.jpg

Oh boy!! That's a "doozy"

No pictures, but on a pair I'm working on, after removing the old veneer, the plywood had knothole voids all over the place. I'm not sure if the sound is/was affected. But just to make sure... I used a router and a circle jig and just cleaned them all up. Cut some circular pieces/ disks the same size as the new "holes", glued them in, etc. On your's you might try a router and cut a "strip" of plywood to match the new "slot". IMHO, an open "void" is an "accident place" for veneer just looking to cause problems later.

1974, I think think that would have been considered defective marine grade plywood. Are those FR KHorns? I'm not sure the Fir plywood was represented as void-free.

Anybody know what year was the last for lumber core plywood? That might turn out to be a watershed moment for Klipsch cabinet quality. My '60s are lumber core. I thought lumber core was used throughout the Seventies at least.

BTW, I worked making plywood for many years in Oregon and Washington. Any veneer core plywood (probably 99.9999% of all plywood ever made) can have voids like that, very difficult to find unless it's in the core layer directly beneath the face or back or goes all the way to the edge.