Members Weekly Music Recommendations-April 3

thebes

Sorry I'm late again I was traveling yesterday.

I try not to be totally stuck in the past with my music but sometimes the oldies are the goodies especially when they come up with something new.

Bob Dylan, "Modern Times", cd (2006)

Dylan's latest release is a relaxed affair. The band he's assembled in recent years is tight and comfortable. His lyrics on this one are not as biting and passionate but if you pay close attention you will hear the musings of a true poet. If you don't derive any pleasure out of t is one you either hate Dylan or are brain dead. Wonderfully recorded and some of the best stuff he's ever done. Highly recommended.

So what do you have to share this week?

Guess I'm brain dead Thebes..................A few cells burnt maybe, but not brain dead........Yet!!!!!!!!!......Although, I do sometimes wonder......

HENDRIX : BAND OF GYPSYS..................CD.................1970............

Well, here's another album I've owned for years, and now, playing through the Scott, it sounds different to me. The bottom end is soo much cleaner, and the boominess is gone.........Billy Cox sounds good, but I would have liked to hear Jimi with a real good Bassist, Jaco maybe, and Buddy Miles on Drums, the Big man can pound those skins, and sings real well, too, and of course,"The Man on the Guitar" Jimi Hendrix, this is a fine TRIO, in every sense of the word. What a three man line-up, and they don't disappoint, not one note.;

1. Who Knows

2. Machine Gun

3. Changes

4. Power To Love

5. Message Of Love

6. We Gotta Live Together

Recorded LIVE, New Years Eve 69-70, Fillmore East, New York City.........Would have liked to have been there, what a show, just to be in the same room with Jimi, would have been a thrill. Well anyway, I find the first 2 cuts to be more for Jimi, a chance to play alittle guitar, and do alittle jamming, good stuff here, but my favorite material is from track 3 to the finish. The Band of Gypsys takes over, real good stuff here,Changes, an old Buddy Miles favorite done Jimi style, but not taking the song over. Power to, and Message, a couple of Jimi songs pounded home by Buddy, and Billy just playin' his Bass while Jimi takes his Strat for a ride, and finally, We Gotta, another Buddy miles song. I think Buddy Miles was a gifted Vocalist that could hammer a drum set, and would have liked to seen this groups progress as the years passed, but it was not to be. What a shame, what a pity such talent, for whatever reasons, leaves us so soon. I will DIE a Hendrix fan, that will not change, and to be truthful, I am still a Buddy Miles fan, but the Band of Gypsys will never be again, and for that I am sorry.

I'm trying to pic music from different genres to pic faves. This week it is Oslo-Pop. The bands I have picked so far Hoppy Kamiyama - psychedelic improv space jazz and Raymond Scott - big band swingy excentric jazz.

ANJA GARBAREK

anja_garbarek_273741y.jpg

A friend left a couple of her cds at the house and they were better than expected. She is from Oslo and is the daughter of a jazz musician. I really like a couple songs off of each album. She has a great voice and the music is modern pop but not what you would here on the radio. I was suprised I liked it as modern pop music usually makes me crazy.

There are a couple samples here.

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=22809

http://www.amazon.com/Smiling-Waving-Anja-Garbarek/dp/B000059H3F

Bio

http://ectoguide.org/artists/garbarek.anja

Breaking in a new Dynavector DV10-Xs on the Sota

All on vinyl
Lucinda Williams~ West
Earth Wind and Fire~Thats the way of the world
Sam Cooke~ At The Copa
U2~ Thw Joshua Tree
Muddy Mississippi Waters Live
Ray Charles and Betty Carter

For all of you Twangaphiles have you heard the latest Carrie Rodriguez disc? Seven angels on a bicycle.  Great disc from start to finish