Pending Outlaw Amp purchase

dachuckster

Yes, I am on 120 volts. And I am narrowed down to 3 amps. In order of current preference;

1-Outlaw 7700 (7 x 200 WPC) 1800 watts max

2-NAD T973 (140 x 7 WPC) No wattage spec given

3-Outlaw 7 x 125 (127 x 7 WPC) 1440 watts needed

So, lets go on the high side and use 1800 watts for an Amp, 350 for the TV, 250 watts for my Def Tech sub, thats 2400 watts, not includign the Denon 3803 as a pre-pro, DVD player, PS2 or Wii....

Am I getting too high for a 20 amp circuit? It will sure be tough to add another circuit.... :(

PS I do plan on adding a set of CDT5800s for my rear surrounds when I add the amp.

Well, 2400W=20A@120V, so yes, you're bumping up against the upper limit. However, keep in mind that most amps are rated at their max, and I doubt that you'll be driving them that hard. Equipment like TVs, CD players, and such are more likely to use their rated power.

You could buy a meter and check, to see where you're really at. Here's a review of one that looks pretty nice: http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/kill_a_watt_electric_usage_monitor_review

But another circuit would be a fine idea anyway.

Generally speaking, you always want to run all of your audio/video equipment on the same circuit so as to avoid extra potential for ground loops and EMI. I really don't think power consumption is going to be an issue at all - and really, running everything full kilt to see if the breaker trips isn't that bad of a test. So in the case that you find that you're tripping the breaker (again, very unlikely), then an easier solution would be to run a new set of power lines to your outlet and increasing the amperage on your breaker for that circuit. This is generally very easy to do because you can use the existing wire to pull the new larger wire (provided the conduit can support the larger wire).

As always, contact your local electrician if you don't know what you're doing. I'd hate to see someone get electrocuted by incorrectly boosting the amperage on their circuit [:o]

Anyways 20A should be more than enough to supply your needs. At work we'll throw two amplifiers that draw 22 amps each onto the same wall outlet that breaks at 20A. You can just barely run both amps into clipping before the wall breaker will flip (The QSC amps each do 2kW bridged mono into 4 ohms and we run 4 of em in our portable rack) [H] There is no way in heck you're going to be driving your system that loud...if you are, then perhaps flipping the breakers is a good thing...

Anyone know if there are any Outlaw offerings that allow hookup of a tube preamp?   I imagine if I buy Outlaw separates - yes?  But anyone know about the Single units?  A pre-in or something?

All the Outlaws I've seen have a by-pass feature. I set up my brother-in-law's system and he usually by-passes the HT and listens to his 2-channel system (with tube amps and preamp). When he watches a movie, the Outlaw's processor feeds the signal to his tube amps and main speakers. He just replaced his 1050 receiver with a 950 processor and digital amps and he can still utilize the by-pass feature. 

I have an old 1050 and it works fine for my purposes. I'm waiting for the HT designers and manufacturers to decide on a standard before I buy another processor/amp and that could take some time yet. Outlaw does not have HDMI connections and said they won't use them until they are sure that they won't become obsolete for a few years. Most of the other companies have adopted the newer HDMI format to satisfy the market even though there isn't a set standard in sight. Luckily, the other connections on the processor/amps should cover the HT needs so the equipment won't become completely obsolete before the dust settles. Have fun -Bryan

As far as video is concenred, HDMI and DVI connectors are identical and can be used interchangeably with little adapters. The only difference is that HDMI can send a digital audio signal, which doesn't need to be sent to your TV when the receiver is handling all of the audio (with a separate digital audio cable).

I would still wait for the dust to settle though - I have a feeling some new technologies will come out in the next year that will totally swamp both formats - which will be kinda sad really because it's going to hurt the movie industry that needs to purchase the high-dollar equipment to create product in these mediums. I think everyone is shooting themselves in the foot, but hey...it's all about short-term profit, right? Sorry, I'll get off me soapbox.

I think I have decided on the Outlaw 7700 (200 wpc x 7).

My next minor concer is having the CDT 5800-C for use as rear surrounds; Power rating is 50 watts conitinuous, 200 max. I know the saying "more power is better" cuz its cleaner. But man, this would be quite a lot of power, even though I can turn the gain down a tad using my Denon......

Thoughts?

Chuck: I think your rear surrounds will be fine. You asked for thoughts here's mine:

Buy the 7500 & a QSC plx pro amp. Your 7's will love the extra 100 to 200 watts & you'll love the sound.

The 7500 is only a 5 channel. Did you mean the 7700 or 7200 (both are 7 x 200 wpc). I see you have the 7500 with the RF7s, and I assume you really like it?

QSC for your front rf-7's. 7500 for the other 5 channels. The 7500 is very good the QSC is better. Have you read all the QSC threads? Pick up a new 7500 & used QSC for the price of the 7700. Carl (cjgeraci) on the board will sell or trade one I think. Speedball just bought an extra he had & loves it. I bought mine new at musiciansfriend for $650. Read some old rf-7 threads from 2005 & early 2006 where people went from 100-150 watt amps to 400ish. Sounds like overkill but the 7's really open.