System is singing now....FINALLY

Seems I've found the secret key to getting my system sounding good (despite being SS)[:#][:D]

Here is a pic of my EQ curve from my outboard Soundcraftsman 10-band..........curious if anyone else is running a similar curve! Yes, I know each system requires different settings, but just another conversation piece. Unfortunately since the Cornwall network updates, and w/horns so bright now, the internal parametric EQ just wasn't cutting it, so I had to resort to using another device. Note the >500hz adjustments!

post-24109-13819329830014_thumb.jpg

Sometimes you gotta' do what you gotta' do and if it works then enjoy! An old reel to reel, my brother told me about those years ago when he was in the military. Said you could listen to music for hours at a time.

I wonder if the sound quality from that machine would be closer to a Cassette, Album or CD?

Before you pass judgement on components that you "think" add noise or distortion with probably no real world experience with any of them I suggest you keep your opinion/comments (wuzzer) to yourself.

I use a DBX "Digital Series" array 400XG, 120X-DS, 3BX-DS and a 14/10 and I challenge you to come over and point out any noise or distortion to me. Should be real easy since all but two of my speakers are 104db efficient. While its main function is to improve audio signals from my Sat Dish receiver when not in "digital" mode the difference they make is quite impressive.

Here is a photo of my DBX 14/10 14 Band Computerized Equalizer/Analyzer/RTA/SPL Meter. Just a crude noise maker to you I suppose but it's capabilities are incredible. At $1300 (1988 dolloars) new out of alot of folks reach and even at 20 years old they still command over $650 on eBay, not bad for junk.

That Teac is probably the best piece of analog tape playback equipment I have EVER owned. Extremely clean and really provides a full range sound w/o distortion.

And yes, around 60w and UP, it can rock the trailer, but getting back to the DBX. The DBX in IMHO is NOT a device that is required in all instances; however, does provide compression/expansion on certain sources/recordings. The EQ is constant, but the DBX is used discretionally. In fact, I have the DBX brochure that explains the entire process in detail, and it is quite fascinating. I ASSUME these devices were primarily for analog playback (tape), and not necessarily for the digital era. However, they do still serve a purpose on vintage equipment.

FYI........ .1% THD @ 1khz which isn't great by todays standards, but not an obvious flaw. The EQ is rated @ .01% THD @ 2V

Combined, they provide a full and more dynamic response in situations that warrant them. As said before, we must do what we must do to obtain our own expectations.

The reason for bumps in the lower band are due to the fact that BEC's upgraded caps have improved the horn/tweeter output and they IMO, are now brighter than they should. Not unusual for HLCD's, and just needed a little tweaking. That, and moving the CW's closer to the wall.

Before you pass judgement on components that you "think" add noise or distortion with probably no real world experience with any of them I suggest you keep your opinion/comments (wuzzer) to yourself.

I use a DBX "Digital Series" array 400XG, 120X-DS, 3BX-DS and a 14/10 and I challenge you to come over and point out any noise or distortion to me. Should be real easy since all but two of my speakers are 104db efficient. While its main function is to improve audio signals from my Sat Dish receiver when not in "digital" mode the difference they make is quite impressive.

Here is a photo of my DBX 14/10 14 Band Computerized Equalizer/Analyzer/RTA/SPL Meter. Just a crude noise maker to you I suppose but it's capabilities are incredible. At $1300 (1988 dolloars) new out of alot of folks reach and even at 20 years old they still command over $650 on eBay, not bad for junk.

Nice piece, as I am now toying w/the idea of a Soundcraftsmen #TG3044-R 1/3 octave EQ, or the DBX 20/20 EQ/analyzer to replace the SE450