crappy receiver = crappy sound?

Here is a idea, why can't you get your friend to come over with his receiver and hook it up to your speakers?

At leats you will know if it is your problem or not, for that matter get him to come over with his player too.
That way you can go by process of elimination, that is the cheapest way to do it, isn't it?

He has offered to bring his receiver to my house, but I've got to wait until he gets out of college, so I believe I'd have to wait around 'til May 18th or so. By the general consensus though, I should buy a new receiver anyway, and so far, no one has bashed the AVR-1906.

The cabinets are somewhat efficient and I don't believe the impedance

is very low. Therefore changing the amp will make some difference but

it will not go from "crappy" to superb (unless the receiver was

marginal to begin with). Perhaps your definition of "crappy" and mine

are different. What exactly is the problem?

First off, my receiver is very marginal. I am currently using a Philips FR994, which came with a complete 5.1 system for $200. I'm pretty sure that would be considered about as "marginal" as you can get. As for how my speakers sounded "crappy" - when I listen to my music (keeping in mind that I'm only sitting two or three feet from these speakers), the tweeter seems to sound a tad fuzzy, if not crackly at times. Most of this occurs on music that's pretty hard stuff (melodic death metal), so I've taken into account that the music isn't meant to be recorded for it's clarity...but I still get some fuzz/crackles on classical or acoustic songs.

Another "crappy" thing was when I moved in really close and put my ear within a few inches of the eight inch drivers - they sounded extremely muddy. Now, I know there's a good chance you're all sitting back and laughing at me because I'm just sitting too damn close to the speakers (as the manual said 6 to 15 feet away), but again, I'm probably just caring too much about my purchase. Hopefully when I buy the Denon and set my speakers up properly, I won't have any more problems.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all no one is laughing at you, may be a little smile and just because most of us remenber the questions we asked when we started.

Second that's why the forum is there for, to help each other out, we just want you to be happy with your speakers. Klipsch makes good speakers.
Third, back to your problem, is the crackling/ fuzzy sound on both speakers ?
If not you might swap the wires from one speaker to the other one, and see what happen.

Ya know....if you're listening to "melodic death metal", then I think you're gonna be much much better off with an HK. The Denon's tend towards the dry side and it's really gonna bring out any hashy annoyingness on them hornloaded tweeters. The HK's are much warmer which will tend towards less fatigue - especially if you wanna rock out. I'm a Denon fan myself, but I think HK would be the way to go in your situation. Something like this outta do good:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HARMAN-KARDON-AVR-335-7-1-HOME-THEATER-RECEIVER_W0QQitemZ280103196509QQihZ018QQcategoryZ39794QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.harmankardon.com/specifications.aspx?cat=REC&ser=∏=AVR%20335&sType=H

Btw, what particular bands are you listening to?

Third, back to your problem, is the crackling/ fuzzy sound on both speakers ?

If not you might swap the wires from one speaker to the other one, and see what happen.

The noise was in both RF-35s, and just to check out whether or not it was those speakers, I swapped out one of my RF-35s for my RC-7 temporarily, and the fuzziness in the tweeter and the muddiness of the eights was still apparent. With that, I've come to the conclusion that it's got to be something other than my speakers that's causing the issue.

Ya know....if you're listening to "melodic death metal", then I think you're gonna be much much better off with an HK. The Denon's tend towards the dry side and it's really gonna bring out any hashy annoyingness on them hornloaded tweeters. The HK's are much warmer which will tend towards less fatigue - especially if you wanna rock out. I'm a Denon fan myself, but I think HK would be the way to go in your situation.

Btw, what particular bands are you listening to?

I know that you're trying to help, so I don't want to come off like I know more than speakers or HT in any way, but when I went to my friend's place and listened to any type of music, ranging from melodic death metal to Beethoven, it sounded fine to me. He was running RF-15s and KG-1s off of his Denon AVR-1906, which is what made me decide that the AVR-1906 is fine. He has since sold his RF-15s, KG-1s, and RC-3 to buy RF-7s, and, when I asked him about this fuzziness problem last night, he played the same songs as I had on my computer and said his RF-7s played them just fine. He also listens to his share of death metal, too, so I'm thinking Denon would be fine, although that HK you showed me was fifty bucks cheaper, so I'll look into it.

Oh, and as for the (melodic) death metal bands - In Flames, Children of Bodom, Kalmah, All That Remains, Lamb of God, and Trivium are the main contenders for that. Don't think I only listen to that, though...right now I'm enjoying a nice cello sonata. Again, thanks for all of your reccommendations and help.

Hey drummer - I live in O'Fallon and will be home for awhile late morning on Tuesday. If you want to come over and listen to my system you are welcome.

Denon AVR 1804
RF-35s
RC-35
R5800s in walls

Might give you another data point on what you're hearing.

I've got a set of RS-35s but they're still in the box, wife issues..........

Well hey, if you're more comfortable with the Denon, by all means go that route. Just trying to provide a few alternatives is all. From your descriptions, it sounds like any good entry level reciever is gonna blow you away [;)]

After looking at it all, and hearing

beastmasterxela: do it
beastmasterxela: who is the shit
beastmasterxela: he knows
beastmasterxela: he does have 9000 posts

from my friend in reference to whether I should go with the Denon or Harman Kardon, I think I'll save the money and go with the HK. I'm sure any receiver would do a better job than the piece of crap I have running these beasts now. Thanks for the ebay link on that HK, by the way.

Ya know...you might try taking a trip to the local audio dealer (not Best Buy) and see if they don't have anything in your price range. Perhaps an open-box or floor model item? They usually come with the full warranty and all that shnazz. While you're there, be sure to make it known that you plan to expand on the system in the future - they'll usually give you a good deal in hopes of getting you to come back.

I went to go buy that HK on ebay, but someone got it a little before I could put down the order. I decided to go with my second choice of the Denon AVR-1906. Hopefully I'll be satisfied with it when it gets sent here.

Hope it works out great for you!