how well would the Rotel RB-1080/RSP-1068 go with the RF83s?

Ou8thisSN

So, i think its finally time to upgrade the amp section driving the RF83s. We've had an Onkyo reciever for about 10 years now (one of the ones with the original thx certification), but i think its dying on me. It keeps making these loud hums and stuff. Anyway, the dealer from who we bought the RF83s is also a dealer of Rotel and I took the product catalog from them when we were getting the 83s. Since I am upgrading, i thought about going the separates route with the 200wpc RB-1080 amp and the RSP-1068 processor. I guess i'm hoping that someone here will chime in and talk about this combination and how it will work with the 83s. I noticed that the RB-1080 has XLR balanced inputs but the RSP-1068 doesnt have XLR balanced outputs. thats my only concern. Afaik, XLR is the best connection type for separates, so i'm confused as to why their amps have the connection but the processor doesnt? This will only be used as a two channel mode, as we have a dedicated theater room, and the reason I want the processor is becuase it can handle the video switching out to the tv. anyway, what do you guys think?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OU8this, I am envious, a dealer that sells both. No such luck around here. I owned the combo (1068-1080) together, for quite some time, driving my 7's, and the 1080 did a wonderful job with them. It is still my favorite ss amp to date (long since gone to tubes).

The 1068 doesn't have balanced outputs as its claim to fame is its surround processing.

It dooes have analog bypass, for a very good 2 channel, but, their dedicated RC-1090, or RC-1070 (2 channel pre's) may be a better option, with a video switcher on the side to cover your application.

One thing to note, is that every new Rotel piece I had owned, sounded "sterile", a little stiff out of the box, BUT, after some run time they blossom into something very sweet.

I would assume your dealer has a 7-10 day return policy, no questions asked, or at a minimum could grab one for you for an in store demo.

Good luck, and post back on what you come up with.

Bob

how important are balanced inputs? i mean if i'm making the jump to separates, i doubt i'll be changing components for a while, a long while. i dont get upgraditis like a lot of people here, its only because my equipment now is dying that i'm thinking about doing this. I obviously dont need or will ever use the surround sound processing of the 1068, so should i look at another processor perhaps? if you click the picture in my signature, you can see the cabinet where I want to house all this stuff and space is at a premium in there, so ideally i'd like to get 2 components, the amp and the processor and not have to worry about getting anything else. so again the rotel seems like a good product and a lot of people seem to be pairing klipsch with it, so really do i need the XLR inputs?

1)how important are balanced inputs? 2) I obviously dont need or will ever use the surround sound processing of the 1068, so should i look at another processor perhaps? 3) so really do i need the XLR inputs?

Their not at this level.

Nope.

Nope.

It is a sweet pairing, and I would bet you will be very happy.

Again, good luck and enjoy.............................

well, thanks for the direct answer, although i was hoping for a bit more. I see that you use Tubes with your fronts. Do those have/use XLR connections? what kind of speakers benifit from those connections? the heritage line or something from wilson audio? i guess i'm wondering where i can find a technical explanation for why they are different and its appropriate application

well, thanks for the direct answer, although i was hoping for a bit more. I see that you use Tubes with your fronts. Do those have/use XLR connections? what kind of speakers benifit from those connections? the heritage line or something from wilson audio? i guess i'm wondering where i can find a technical explanation for why they are different and its appropriate application

I don't use balanced interconnects, just good quality silver rca's. My beleif being they were conceived from long cable runs, low level signals, such as pro michrophones and the likes. Probably noise immunity as well as signal level loss is what they initially addressed. Most p/a heads have them for mic inputs, where as most guitar inputs are 1/4" (unbalanced). I am sure there are some musicians or studio techs that could give a more detailed take on them. I have a friend who has a very spendy sytem and won't buy a piece of gear with out them, swears he hears a big difference. If you are in a position to listen to the combos listed in your fisrt post, do yourself a favor and do so. To get back on track, Rotel makes some very good sounding, no frills, audio-(video) equipment, for a good price. And it resides in a good place in "the market" as it won't break the bank, and holds its value for quite some time.

Ou8thisSN,

Don't discount a pre-processor. It can be a good investment though initially it may seem like an overkill. I have an Anthem AVM-30 just in case though it is being used in a stereo system. Found out that it gave me a ton of connection options along with a built in upgrade for possible use down the road.

All I will use this for is 2 channel. Like I said, we have a dedicated theater room upstairs. And we dont want or need 2 surround sound systems in our house. So if I'm going to upgrade to separates, I would like to consider a processor that will give me the option of using balanced/xlr connections, even if I dont use them with these Klipsch, or with something else later on. I guess I dont understand why Rotel doesnt offer this, while B&K does on its Ref 50.

Rotel does offer balanced i/o on their targeted 2 channel gear. The RB 1080, RB 1090, and RC 1090 all have the capability, (you may want to check the RSP 1098 for pre-pro with both as well, I don't know).

I would guess their "balanced design concept" is just that.

If you want bang for the buck, they probably feel they can accomplish the best of both, audio-video, without balanced i/o.

For those who needit, they provide it in their strictly 2 channel rigs.

I can only guess, but having had been a long time Rotel customer, think they put the design money where it needed to be, in the sonics, circuit, and total package design vs throwing a bunch of candy on the component to sell to people who may or may not notice a difference to begin with, but paying for the candy.

They may not feel the need to compete with those who market the 5-10K pre-pro's as that would take away from their bang for the buck philosiphy.

Keep this updated if you would as I pop in from time to time to see what you have been able to demo together, and see what your'e hearing.

i guess i never really thought of it that way. but your logic makes sense. I mean, yeah there is quite a bit of hype thats more superfluous than reality. Such as speaker cables... i could never tell a difference. Nor could I really tell much of a difference between 1080p and 1080i on a 1080p screen. I think you're right that with these speakers, which arent shabby in the least, but also arent the exotic high-end kind either, I wouldnt really see anything more with XLR vs RCA connectors. And we dont really plan on upgrading these speakers, ever really. Now once i get out of school and live on my own and build an audiophile system, i'm sure I'll get a new package anyway, and I cant beat this rotel stuff at their price point. I have the money for it, but I'm wondering when the best time will be to buy. When I got the speakers from this dealer, they had some promotion where they were selling things at 10% above cost, i dont remember if it was everything in the store or not but I did get a fantastic deal on these speakers. Little did I know that my reciever would start to fail where I would need to get an upgrade, or I would have gotten all the equipment right then and there. So either I wait till October and try to get that same type of deal again (i think it was their anniversary special), or I go in now, with cash, and ask for that type of deal now. I also need to get a subwoofer, perhaps the Rt-12D, so maybe they may be inclined to move inventory and cut a return customer a good deal... who knows, we'll see and i'll keep this thread updated.

well, i went and pulled the trigger on it. seemed like i got a good deal, i think anyway. So far so good. Although the setup is a bit confusing. out of the box, i dont think its sending all the bass to the RF83s, i'm wondering if i have to go into the setup and tell it to set my speakers to large, and that i have no sub. whatever, i'm playing around with it...

edit: WHOA... incredible sound! i'm very impressed right now. I dont know how the settings work but so far its really showing another side to these speakers i never imagined before. there are some quirks to the system, hopefully i can get it sorted out, but very pleased so far.

Seems I'm a bit late, but there's absolutely no difference in sound between unbalanced (RCA) and balanced lines (XLR). The only advantage to balanced lines is that they are better at rejecting external noise. So if you don't hear noise with unbalanced, then there is no advantage to the XLR.