Members Weekly Music Recommendations-April 17

thebes

So I drop my tax return into the hopper on Saturday and here it is Monday morning and already the Treasury Dicks are here. They've disallowed my deduction for all my stereo gear as an "Entertainment" expense and they got blood in their eyes.

Those federal flatfoots are as dumb as they look. Convinced them my Realistic receiver is the most expensive part of my system so as I type the crumbumbs are hauling it away for some future tax auction.

I'm sure they'll never catch on.

Dusty Springfield, "Dusty in Memphis, pop, cd

Not exactly hardcore music but for some reason I really like Dusty, despite the fact that most of her songs are over-produced pop forcing her to sing just a smidge faster then she should have to. Love her voice though. Unique. Well worth a listen and well recorded.

So what do you have to share this week?

Give FUGAZI a listen!

13songs.jpg

I found this CD in my collection and was very excited as I thought it had been lost. It is not often I get into full out guitar romping bands but these guys are great. I find it hard to classify Fugazi but if I had to I would call them post punk hardcore indie with a dash of dub/ska.The hardcore genre carries negative connotations which need not apply to this band. The songs are inventive and hard.

Perhaps just as well known as Fugazi's music is their ethical stance and manner of business practice. They stand as a rare example of a band that have achieved a level of mainstream success while remaining loyal to independent recording and distribution values, following through in the spirit of the original "DIY punk ethic". They have rarely charged more than $5$10 admission to their live shows, insist that their performances be open to persons of all ages (MacKaye in particular remembers the sting of being kept out of clubs during his teen years, which is why he is now vicariously tied to the double-ex's put on the hands of those under 18 at venues that serve alcohol), have kept their album prices at about $10, and do not sell merchandise such as t-shirts or posters. In addition, the band has claimed that they will not conduct interviews with magazines featuring alcohol and nicotine advertisements.

Check out the sample tracks at amazon especially Waiting Room. 

http://www.amazon.com/13-Songs-Fugazi/dp/B000000JO0

Fugazi Live Waiting Room in St.Louis. I actually saw them on this tour in Little Rock. This is exactly what allot of late 80's post punk shows were like. 

Ooops, runnin' alittle behind this week.....Will do a couple of quick overviews on CD's I have just gotten...........

WEATHER REPORT : HEAVY WEATHER.........Thought I would give something new to me a try.......Talented group of musicians, that Jaco Pastorius is one talented young man, damn he can play the old 4-string, and the rest of the guys are good, but I was sorta' disappointed. Now, I've only listened a couple of times, and I do key in on Jaco, I will give it more time, and maybe I will grow to like it. NO GUITAR, well 1 track, that's where my real problem is, No 6-string, but I need to get over that, and I will. I will try and open up, and give this recording more time.......Good Sounding Disc...Real Good Sound.....

WELCOME : SANTANA..........Well, here's another one that I had to have, and again, I'm alittle disappointed. It was a follow-up to Caravanserai , and that's a tough act to follow. Caravanserai is my favorite Santana album, and I find Welcome falls alittle short. It's another album that I'll give it more time, and I might like it better. There are moments of sheer brilliance here, and there are some lapses, which might be because of the new band line-up not being use to each other.............another Good sounding disc

CONEY ISLAND BABY : LOU REED.............Yeah, Lou Reed, and this is his finest album. This album has it's own unique sound, great stuff, really,good song writing, great production. I'm a Lou Reed fan, and I know Lou can put out sheer JUNK, and then he can turn around and do an album like this. He's a strange man, but a talented man, and this guy just say's New York City. Where else could he be from? If you like Lou Reed, and don't own this album, you should..............I haven't heard this album since I sold my vinyl, way too long ago........Good sounding disc