Sunny day projects

colterphoto1

• Moderators

Glad to hear so many of you are enjoying warm sunny weather, its been windy here in Flagstaff for the last 3 weeks, today the max average was 35 mph with gusts of 45 mph [:(] and I have been outside trying to finish my outside Koi pond and laying flagstone the last 3 weeks. my poor weather station tower has been taking a beating (Anyone who might be interested, I have a community service weather station at www.doneyparkweather.net )

Community service, that site has more info than NOAA !

I love Koi, we have had some for about 13 years. We also grow tropical water lilies, both were a Hobie we started when I gave up reef aquariums. We sold Koi for a few years and now just keep them as pets, but the water lilies we are turning into a business. we have put in 10 ponds in the yard

We have planted 4 of them so far and are almost ready to plant the rest. There will be only one color Lillie in each pond, the 10 ponds are about 15' by 40' with sand bottoms for propagation. We were growing them in pots but couldn't grow enough to keep up with the demand, so trying something else.

We started in the landscaping business about 13 years ago by building garden ponds and water falls, we don't do ponds any more unless someone really wants one. The pond we have in our garden needs to be redone it's about 8 years old and needs some work, just been putting it off.

There's the top header pool, initial drop, then rolls down stream to bottom bump out to final drop in pond.

The cool thing here is that I created it to be able to tune the sound of the water. :) I can make the final drop do a sheet of water effect to cleanly enter the pond for a lower softer tone, or - I can pull out those rock shards below the top to have the water hit them here & there to create splash for a higher splashy tinkley sound.

(Signed.... control freek)

There's the top header pool, initial drop, then rolls down stream to bottom bump out to final drop in pond.

The cool thing here is that I created it to be able to tune the sound of the water. :) I can make the final drop do a sheet of water effect to cleanly enter the pond for a lower softer tone, or - I can pull out those rock shards below the top to have the water hit them here & there to create splash for a higher splashy tinkley sound.

(Signed.... control freek)

Yup, yer an audiophile all righty. Who else would 'tune' a waterfall? LOL

That is absolutely stunning. Wish I could do something like that on my property [sigh]

Do those hostas do ok in the sun? Or maybe they just get light part of the day? Nice layout, maybe I know some landscapers who could help me with some planning (Dtels!)

Lets see:

Tony got a pair of perfectly good VIFA 8 inch woofers to replace the perfectly good woofers I already had (Spicom - chinese apparently and this bothered Tony). Holes didn't line up properly - had to drill a new set with 6 holes in these as opposed to 4 on the old ones. These are lighter so I guess the magnet isnt as strong but they work fine - hardly a night and day difference.

Then SWMBO wanted her car fixing. There is a problem with the back window on the cabrio - she said. Well problem about covers it - the window is hanging off and the car is open to the elements even when it is closed. Half raised the roof - supported it with a 2 by 4 and glued the whole thing down. Waited 2 hours - lowered the roof - glue gave up the ghost just as I was fixing to finish. Cleaned off all the glue (nail varnish remover - gotta love it) - got another 2 part glue this time - threatened the car with duct tape. Fixed the whole thing good and proper - waited 4 hours - lowered the roof - holds kindof - broke out the duct tape - holds good now but doesn't look all that great - will have another run at it next weekend.

In the meantime (during the waiting period) planted couple of dozen shrubs in various pots SWMBO chose - spent a happy 2 hours moving each 3 inches to the left and then back again with the ocasional swap till it looked just as she wanted it - which was it is was originally but what do I know? Daughter helped by emptying 10 pound bag of manure on the patio. I shouted, she ran into the house, having, of course, trod massively in it. Spent happy hour cleaning carpets and then went to buy her ice-cream. Got back - wife had re-re-arranged shrubs. Gave daughter ice-cream, walked dogs, washed my car, washed her car - tape and glue held (yippee!!) watered plants missed the football match I had wanted to see on TV - watched a "romantic" movie instead with SWMBO - got rewarded, fell asleep.

Woken at 4 am by sobbing daughter. "What's wrong?" "Sorry I trod poo-poo into the house Daddy." "S'ok - go back to sleep." She did. I didn't. Left for work at 6:30.

• Moderators

That is beautiful, Lisa!

My sunny day project? Pulling out about 300 dandelions from my yard. It really didn't look like I had very many, until I started! Dern things were hiding everywhere. Everytime I closed my eyes to go to sleep last night, I kept seeing dandelions...

Dtel, Do you have the means to ship the Lillies? Leslie and I were out on the web yesterday looking for someplace to buy some. Our local nursery won't have any for a few more weeks. Let me know

Meagain, Absolutely beautiful! I wish I had the greenery, but I am out here in high desert horse country. Aything thing I want to grow has to be in my greenhouse. It is just way to dry here, along with the wind, plants don't have a chance. Even the weeds struggle

I'll post a picture, I am not yet done. In fact I have to drive out to Ashfork today for another pallet of Flagstone (worth a 50 mile one way drive, I go directly to the mine and get it for .05 a pound). Because of the single digit temps we have in the winter, the pond is 12' long 7' wide and 5.5' deep. Our frost line here is 32 inches. I have 3 Koi, they started as little 3" fish and are now 26" in a 125 tank, I have a couple other "goldfish" that are 10 to 12" long as well. The next 1.5 ton of flagstone will go to doing a walkway to the other french doors and another couple more layers around the pond edge as we have critters here (racoons, skunks etc) that I am sure would love to have my koi for dinner. The flagstone "patio" if you will has a secondary purpose. In the summer we have monsoons and we can get several inches in a matter of hours. the mud is terrible, hopefully the stone and sand will help this year.

Excuse the poor photography, and all the junk laying around, like I said I am not yet completed.

A note on the weather station. It was a project in itself. All based on the Dallas semiconductor 1 wire technology and the lessons i learned just how strong the wind can be and what it can do to a 26' tower. I still have some calibrations to do to the solar sensor. I have been experimenting with different means of shading the the sensor s the UV is very high. I have it interfaced with my home automation system, giving me verbal weather reports every hour and updated reports on the systems Beta Brite LED sign every 12 minutes

post-21475-13819330490416_thumb.jpg

some of my pond.  Obviously 'still' not done.   Dang header pool is tricky as heck for me, and I need to soften that bump-out style waterfallI - cuz it looks like a pimple.   need to give away some koi.

Nice what kind of water filtration pump do you have? How many gallons is that pond? My GF laughs at me when I tell her I am going to put a pond in big enough to waller in when its hot or drink to much rum and chase the koi :)  

• Moderators

Jackpod what about a dark purple (Tina) , a pink (Madamme Ganna Walska) and a light blue (Blue Dauben) ? It looks like your pond may hold 3, you cant put them to close to that splashing water, they don't like it.

Or would you rather all purple or whatever, post what you would want, or if you just want one or two ? I don't know how much water you want to see ? I will send you bare root plants with instructions on how to pot, and what to do. Post here if you have any questions ?

Email me or my wife with your address .