trend audio 10.1a setup

hi all,

i read so much discussion about the trend 10.1 that i felt like i needed to try it. i've ordered a pair of them with the vague notion of hooking one up to each klipschorn. however i would enjoy hearing the group's opinion of the best way to use these things. i currently use an nad c320bee ss amplifier, toshiba dvd/sacd/cd player, proton tuner, nad phono preamp and techniques sl-1350 turntable with the grado red cartridge.

thanks a lot for your suggestions on this admittedly low cost setup.

pete (the poor boy)

Plug the cd player directly into the 10.1a inputs. Connect the speakers to the 10.1a outputs (observe 10.1a speaker terminal channel ID and polarity). For phono, use the NAD's tape outputs. If you must include the NAD for other (line level) sources, use the NAD's tape outputs also.

All of the above minimizes influence of the NAD on the sound (esp the first example, which doesn't use the NAD at all.

That way, if there is a difference between the NAD and 10.1a, you will be able to hear it.

Leo

hello there,

thankyou for your reply. i've never tried to either bridge or bi-amp a system so any advice would be great. i initially thought it would be fun to hook an amp to each speaker but then i got to thinking it would maybe suffice to have each amp run a different component, i.e. one for the disc player and one for the turntable. i simply don't know enough about things to make a very intelligent decision and would appreciate some advice.

thanks again for your help!

pete

hello there,

thankyou for your reply. i've never tried to either bridge or bi-amp a system so any advice would be great. i initially thought it would be fun to hook an amp to each speaker but then i got to thinking it would maybe suffice to have each amp run a different component, i.e. one for the disc player and one for the turntable. i simply don't know enough about things to make a very intelligent decision and would appreciate some advice.

thanks again for your help!

pete

I'd buy only 1 amp if I were you.

Heck, If I were me I'd only buy 1 amp also.

Hey! - That's what I did! - I bought 1 amp!

hi all,

thankyou for all your suggestions. i wonder tho why the council not to use both these amps with the set of klipschorns. would i be in danger of damaging the speakers? my hope was to have one amp connected to each speaker, effectively giving both full amp power to each and to have an inherent balance control. not wise or practical? if not why or if it is practical how best to do it?

alternately i wonder if there would be any problem with running parallel speaker wires from each amp, the speakers hooked to a different component (provided ofcourse i didn't try to play more than one component at a time). say i want to listen to cd...i power one amp and play the cd. then i want to listen to phono...turn on the other amp and play the lp. i still have wires from the other amps but they aren't powered on or playing anything. is their any conceivable problem with that scenario?

if you had two of these amps and wanted to use them both, how would you go about it? thankyou again for your advice!

pete

hi all,

thankyou for all your suggestions. i wonder tho why the council not to use both these amps with the set of klipschorns. would i be in danger of damaging the speakers? my hope was to have one amp connected to each speaker, effectively giving both full amp power to each and to have an inherent balance control. not wise or practical? if not why or if it is practical how best to do it?

alternately i wonder if there would be any problem with running parallel speaker wires from each amp, the speakers hooked to a different component (provided ofcourse i didn't try to play more than one component at a time). say i want to listen to cd...i power one amp and play the cd. then i want to listen to phono...turn on the other amp and play the lp. i still have wires from the other amps but they aren't powered on or playing anything. is their any conceivable problem with that scenario?

if you had two of these amps and wanted to use them both, how would you go about it? thankyou again for your advice!

pete

You cannot run each of these amps to separate speakers, because they do not run in "mono" mode, like mono blocks. If you want to use both you have to bi-amp them. Use one amp for the woofers and one amp for the Midrange and tweeters. You would have to hook them both up to both speakers. How you would go about this would depend on the crossovers you are using.

Personally, I'd sell of the amps. Give someone here a $15 discount on a new in box amp and it will be 'out of your hair' in a few days.

Actually, the Trends CAN be configured for MONO!. But this is not
the same as bridging, which cannot be done with this amp. The guys over
at the DIYaudio.com discovered that there is an undocumented jumper
setting on J2 that will make the Trends a mono amp so that the left and
right channels may be used to drive the high and low connections to the
speaker. But, you can't use a normal jumper to make the connection
because the pins are too far apart - most doing this are using a large
staple as this jumper.

So, if you have two Trends and want to
bi-amp this procedure allows each speaker to receive two mono amp
outputs. Since the drivers don't use the same power this does not
double the output but it does make independent full output
available to each driver section (high/low). This is the vertical
bi-amping. It is equivalent to having a pair of mono amps on each
channel for each speaker.

If you find that the high/low balance is not satisfactory, the
bi-amping may be done horizontally by keeping the Trends amps as stereo
and splitting and feeding the two left and right signals from the
preamp to each of the amps' channels: for example; split the left from
the pre and connect to the left and right channels of amp#1 - use this
amp to drive the left and right LOW inputs on the speakers. Split the
right outs from the pre and connect to the two channels of the amp#2 -
use this to drive the HIGH inputs on the speakers. Make sure the
geometry is correct (each speakers' high input and low input correspond
to the same labeled left/right channel of both amps) and use the volume
controls to balance the high and low. If your preamp has two pairs of
outputs (like mine) you don't need to split the signal, just be careful
that the connection topology is correct for left right high and low...

The
2024 inverts the signal polarity. Some think it makes a difference. The
output connectors on the Trends are color coded red and blue. If you
unscrew them enough they will come off and you can reverse the colors
so as to maintain a consistent color code thoughout the path of the
connections and avoid the confusion of having to remember that you
reversed the speaker polarity. But you can always tell by examination
if in doubt because the inputs are also color coded.