5.2 Replacements

diroddi

I've had and loved a pair of 5.2's since '92 and one of the horns just went bad. I havnt been able to find any parts so I think it's time for a new set.

Question is what do I get that will live up to the 5.2.

I am using an Adcom GFA-545II and GTP-500II, both of which are also from '92.

Thanks

Well, if you liked the sound of the 5.2 speakers you'll want to probably look for another 2-way system, either ported or with a passive woofer like your 5.2s have.

Do you want something brand new? Do you mind getting something used? For brand new, the Reference Series RF-52 is a 2-way system with a rear bass port for MSRP $598/pair. It has the same 96dB sensitivity rating as your 5.2s had.

If you don't mind buying used speakers, I've seen the KG series of speakers show up on eBay and AudioGon pretty often. Who knows, you might even be able to find another pair of 5.2s!

I defintley got my moneys worth out of the 5.2's, so I'd rather buy new a new set. I wouldnt mind spending a little more money either. Would the RF-62 or RF-82 be a better choice? What about running these from my Adcom?

Thanks again for your help. I've been out the sterophile market for a long time so any and all advice on my setup is appreciated.

I defintley got my moneys worth out of the 5.2's, so I'd rather buy new a new set. I wouldnt mind spending a little more money either. Would the RF-62 or RF-82 be a better choice? What about running these from my Adcom?

Thanks again for your help. I've been out the sterophile market for a long time so any and all advice on my setup is appreciated.

Well, the 82 would have larger woofers than the 62 so it should have both deeper and more pronounced bass. I belive its sensitivity rating is higher as well. Many folks have paired Klipsch with Adcom with good results.

All that tweeter needs is a replacement diaphram that should be available from Klipsch parts, a mere phone call away. If they do not have it contact Bob Crites here on the forum and he can try to help you.

While the 62's and 82's are nice so are the 5.2's and certainly worth keeping. Unless you buy the top of the line Reference speakers you are getting vinyl and plastic not hardwood veneer like that on your 5.2's. Your call though!