reduce midrange horn on the LaScal***

biglaz

Carl...There are those that cannot take constructive help...But take it as criticism and too thin skinned to try good approaches to the problem....and keep dogging the obvious. Carl yes the tube unit in the mid band is quite sweet & will try another on the tweets. Is Dave going to use the 8b in his alternate C40 as center channel? or is all on the back burner.

I have a Stereo 70 for your tweets at a reasonable price if you aren't insisting on SET for that role. [*-)]

Carl.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carl...I had a Dynaco St 70 for many years. I later sent it to Audio Research for there upgrade...It lasted for a few more years...Sounded great....It finally lost its output tranny. then gave it away for parts. When I went triamp....I purchased several Marantz Mod 15 amps....Used them for quite awhile....Sold them to a guy.. Engineer at NBC TV station in Springfield Mo. Thats when all these Esotec MA-5 amps came onto the market...I bought a "bunch" as you know. The only thing that beats these SS mono blocks is the new Marantz MA-9....Hell I cant afford those at $7000. each. Yes I dabble in vintage circuit tubes, but get tired of dipping the grids & peaking the plates....I liked the old Dynaco III monoblocks. As you know my interest in mid driver design go deeper than what they sound like ....But how they are internally designed,,Phase plug v diaphram design,,,some are pretty simple like Atlas & EV single & double slot phase plug & phenaulic or metal diaphrams....the Western Electric & JBL 375 are the same heritage..It wasnt till later when JBL redesigned the phase plug...Coherent wave phase plug plus the diamond surround on the diaphram that i took interest again...TAD then came out with there copy of the 375 TD4001 but with Be diaphrams plus going one better,, with a 5 slit phase plug ...TAD then redesigned a new version,,, 4003 a completely different phase plug still beryllium diaphrams...Last year JBL introduced the Everest II with its new 476 mid driver with beryllium phrams and coherent phase plug design based on the 2450SL mid driver....Some at the introduction of the Everest II claim it sounds like a electroststic phram but with better dynamics...I havent heard it yet...But the diaphrems will fit in my drivers if i want to try them & phrams are $530 each.... So what im i waiting for?

Sorry for causing a raucus. I want to upgrade components. With the exception of AK crossovers, I am not knowledgeable of different mid drivers/horns and tweeter nor were to obtain these components. Please, point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

biglaz

BEC (Bob Crites) sells the CT125 tweeters that will fit your speakers and very noticeably improve the sound. Musical notes decay more naturally, the speakers can reach higher frequencies, and the output from one tweeter to another is much closer than with the standard K-77s, which can vary quite a bit from one to the next.

He also sells capacitor kits, which are easy to install, and which are a really good idea for any speakers over 15 years old.

He's on this forum, and he has ads on EBay.

Sorry for causing a raucus. I want to upgrade components. With the exception of AK crossovers, I am not knowledgeable of different mid drivers/horns and tweeter nor were to obtain these components. Please, point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

biglaz

No need to be sorry - the forum has been kinda slow lately anyway [:)]

If you wanna stay with Klipsch components, then Roy Delgado is the man you want to talk to: roy.delgado@klipsch.com

Ask him about updating your lascala top-end and tell him the crazies on the forum sent you. A drop-in replacement (cosmetically) would be a K510, but the cats meow would be a K402. Both would require new crossovers, which it sounds like you need anyway.

I'm sure you might be interested in some pics, so I'll go hunt down a few threads hopefully by sometime tomorrow.

biglaz....Yes there are lot of companys with good mid drivers to choose from...The B&C that Klipsch is useing. Fostex. BMS. JBL. all have there followers. They open up the understanding on what is going on in the most importent part of the mid bandwith.....Dont be intimidated by our rantings but is done in good faith...Alot is learned on this site as well as the Lansing Heritage.org site The CT125 tweeter is very good and will improve the top end,, its inexpensive for a pair & a good start.

'cept Klipsch is putting them fancy phase plugs on the B&C drivers...

I honestly don't think swapping the tweeter will be the best avenue of approach since most of the harshness problems stem around the K400 and it's crazy HF response. Over time, the low-end extension of compression drivers tends to become less due to the stiffening of the suspension through work hardening of the surrounds. This also causes the HF resonance problems to worsen and then there's the original "9kHz glitch" or whatever that shows up from time to time. Basically there's a lot going on with the squawker that needs fixing. And that's not to say that stock is awful, but that any amount of network or tweeter tweaking isn't going to fix the fundamental problems. I'm sure there are lots of band-aids that yield improvements, but I wouldn't exactly want a doctor to tell me that my broken arm will still work if it heals crooked...

Are there any other known problems with the K77 other than sometimes it's a bit weak and doesn't extend very high over time?

Btw, this recent thread gets talking about some of the squawker problems too:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/1/908962/ShowThread.aspx

And if it only happens to be a 9kHz glitch bothering you, then there is always the option of a p-trap to knock it out.

DrWho said "And if it only happens to be a 9kHz glitch bothering you, then there is always the option of a p-trap to knock it out."

Do your research first then recommend a fix.  Since BigLaz has AL-3 crossovers, he would then have K-55M midrange drivers.  The P-trap for 9 khz would be totally inappropriate for that driver.

Bob Crites

Guest " "

DrWho

"Do your research first then recommend a fix. Since BigLaz has AL-3 crossovers, he would then have K-55M midrange drivers. The P-trap for 9 khz would be totally inappropriate for that driver."

Wow, DrWho, twice in one thread...time to get some hand's on

Right, like I'm going to "do the research" or memorize obnoxious random facts for other people when it's all just guesswork at best. [|-)]

I don't need to know everthing about the K55 and every version of it mated to every version of the K400 to know that there are far superior solutions available....that don't include swapping out the tweeter. If one was really a golden ear, he would be using proper engineering practices track down and fix the problems. You know - a logical series of steps to achieve the sound one desires. Not buying into the latest fad on the forum.

And what's even more crazy is you both missed the very important "IF" in my statement. Nobody here has any clue about what this guy is hearing other than things don't sound tonally balanced. Instead, it's a pissing match about who knows the most random facts! Yay, what a solution!

Good job [Y]

DrWho said "using proper engineering practices track down and fix the problems"

That is good.  But might require doing the research and even "memorizing obnoxious random facts" when it comes to matching up problems with workable solutions.  I think you are saying that you know enough all ready and can't be bothered with additional knowledge.

Bob Crites

I think you are saying that you know enough all ready and can't be bothered with additional knowledge.

You think wrong.

And since when did "facts" equate to "knowledge"?

I read it in the dictionary.  Look around, there should be one at your school.

Fact
n.
1. Knowledge or information based on real occurrences: an account based on fact; a blur of fact and fancy.
a. Something demonstrated to exist or known to have existed: Genetic engineering is now a fact. That Chaucer was a real person is an undisputed fact.
b. A real occurrence; an event: had to prove the facts of the case.
c. Something believed to be true or real: a document laced with mistaken facts.
3. A thing that has been done, especially a crime: an accessory before the fact.
4. Law The aspect of a case at law comprising events determined by evidence: The jury made a finding of fact.

This is hilarous.

As usual we have a 'problem'. Oh, its a BIG problem too! No we are not sure exactly what the problem is, but its a BIG serious problem.

Various solutions have been suggested for this big serious problem, ranging from new amps, new interconnects, new drivers, new crossovers, and a myriad modifications to each, to stuffing a sock in it. But don't anyone dare to ask for clarification as to what exactly this big serious problem is! Nope!

For if you ask this you inadvertently challenge everyone's proposed solution! For you see, they all have proposals as to how to solve this big serious problem.

And this big serious problem is harsh, rough, elusive, exotic, cold, blue, nasal...you pick the technical description! After all, its subjective, so it can be any term of which you like the sound to describe the sound that you do not like!

But then someone comes along and suggests that someone actually make efforts to objectively identify the problem, to attempt to qualify the behavior with the sound that one does not like, in order that one be able to find a solution that addresses the real problem and not simply the emotional dysfunction behind it, and would thus allow one to determine if in fact, the problem has been addressed, and this makes him the problem.

But of course, as an emotional conundrum is always far too complex for silly old physics to explain. We need Metaphysics! And perhaps some incense and chanting.

You know, my favorite aspect of such a subjective emotional problem is that I don't have to decipher the voices that occur in someone else's head. It is indeed YOUR problem. And my suggestion is to simply make room for that extra voice. As I suspect it will be too busy with the subsequent 'meet and greet' with all of the other assorted issue-oriented voices to have the time or inclination to attempt to correlate it to an objective source.

And besides, that would take all of the fun out of it anyway. As then there would emerge various objective means of defining both the BIG serious problem and a solution that actually addresses the BIG serious problem. And as we all know, that is not what audio is about.

Heavens no! For you see, audio is much more kompleekated and sophisticated than that!

How many pages and we still don't know exactly what the BIG serious response problem is...aside from the emotional nature of the responses themselves! Gotta love this forum!

And the really nice thing about the BIG serious problem? Its YOUR problem!

And I suspect that the real solution lies not in the realm of electronics, acoustics or physics, nor in the latest tool of choice, a dictionary. Nope, you don't need measurement equipment. You folks need a good psychologist.

I read it in the dictionary. Look around, there should be one at your school.

Wow, great reading comprehension! I'm glad you discovered a dictionary where the word was used in the definition - that so totally proves equality! Way to miss the point yet again.

Three thumbs up for you! [Y][Y][Y]

"Wow, great reading comprehension! I'm glad you discovered a dictionary where the word was used in the definition - that so totally proves equality!"

I will just take this part and say "Your Welcome!!!

You can keep the three thumbs you gave me.  You may need them.

Bob