Ideal receiver setup for RF-83 system OR Ideal setup going separates...

White_Hawk

Currently all I have are the RF-83s, but I am eventually going to get the whole system. I was hoping I could get some advice on an ideal receiver for it - or at least what to look for specifically in a receiver, OR for those of you who have gone separates, what I should be looking for along that route.

I am completely new to all of this, I only know I made the right choice in speakers. As far as receivers and amps go, I'm pretty much in the dark beyond knowing that Denon is a good brand to look at with klipsch speakers. I don't know what I need in a receiver or amp, so all good advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

we've had klipsch for quite a while. we built a theater around the RF7 line of speakers, which we first used in only 2-channel stereo. We liked them so much that we got the RF83s, which we now use as dedicated stereo. I've used all kinds of equipment to power these speakers, and although it doesnt take a lot of power, i've seen a lot of differences between the equipment. My recommendation to you would be to go with separates. To us, it was night and day. if you really want the most out of your 83s, go with separates. These speakers are very sensitive, to lead you to believe that you dont need a very powerful amplilfier to power it, but klipsch's claim that these are 8 ohm speakers are misleading, because as I and many others here will attest to, they do dip down low, quite a bit lower in resistance when playing, so you need a robust amp to really let the speakers shine. I didnt believe how dramatic this difference could be till last week, when I upgraded to separates, from a reciever.

I've used onkyo and denon recievers to power the klipsch. They both do a good job, the onkyo moreso than the denon (3803), to me anyway. right now, my hands down favorite is Rotel. You could scroll down and see the thread I started about the rotel and these speakers, and see how I came to the decision to get it and how it sounds, etc. If you go the receivers route, you wont be disappointed in the least... as long as you dont listen to these speakers on separate components first. it really comes down to your budget. I would say for receivers, you should at least look to find some that put out 100 watts rms @ 8 ohms per channel and go with a reputable brand. If you go separates, you dont really need more than 200 watts rms per channel. Separates wont have the same features as a receiver. Separates usually concentrate more on the audio quality than features, like room correction and dvi/hdmi inputs/etc. so you should talk about what your budget is, what you're looking to run through your system, what you use it for, etc for more help.

I agree with Out8thisSn, it is a matter of how much you want to spend.

I had mine hooked up to a Yamaha and a Denon and they both did a good job, I know run a HK 645 with them.
Besides the reliability issues, the Hk had the clearest sound  out of the three and the one I liked the most. I had the chance to hear them hooked up to a high end Marantz receiver and they sounded outsanding but there was a $ 3,000 difference in price tag between mine and that receiver.
Going separate seems to be a good way to go but the price goes up  even higher. Check emotiva and outlaw processors/amps, a lot of people have been very happy with them.

Ou8thisSN, which one do like the best, the rf 7 or the 83's? And why?
I have been happy witgh the RF 83 but I'm  wondering if I'm missing out on something by not having the RF 7.

If I could find a receiver that would allow them to sound amazing, I would go that route for the sake of simplicity (and budget).

I'll believe that I will be using them for HT about 30% and 70% for music. What I want more than anything is for the sound to be amazing, so what I'm gathering is that separates are the way to go. What should I start looking at and where should I look? =)

If I could find a receiver that would allow them to sound amazing, I would go that route for the sake of simplicity (and budget).

I'll believe that I will be using them for HT about 30% and 70% for music. What I want more than anything is for the sound to be amazing, so what I'm gathering is that separates are the way to go. What should I start looking at and where should I look? =)

I have my 83's system matched up with an Outlaw 950 and 750, this combination sounds great. I had it hooked up with an older Sony, about 6 years old, big difference.

What kind of budget are you thinking about? Do you have any problems with buying used gear?

James

If you want the most future proof reciever with HDMI switch and pass through and all that jazz I highly recommend the Denon 2807. You can get it for about 900 shipped from oncallcell.com which is an authorized reseller but you need to call and ASK for that price. Its not listed at that price. www.jr.com will also sell for 900 shipped for that price IF YOU ASK them to. Tell them you were referred. Both are authorized online retailed for denon and the warranty will be honored.

If you go to the AVS forums you can read 1,000,000 pages of praise for this reciever. I own it and love it. I think its 7 channel with A B so 9 speakers with HDMI pass through/switching and 125 watts/chan.

Ou8thisSN, which one do like the best, the rf 7 or the 83's? And why?
I have been happy witgh the RF 83 but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something by not having the RF 7.

Its not a question of which I like best. They do different things. The RF7s we use only for the theater, and the 83s are primarily used only for 2-channel music. The 7s are a bit louder, because they are a bit more sensitive, but the 83s are definitely smoother than the 7s, definitely more 'musical' and for that, we couldn't be happier with it. in our budget, its the best speaker set we could get. the 83s are just a bit more refined and tamer than the RF7s. which really works well for music.

I was looking to spend anywhere up to 2-3k, but I may start smaller and upgrade in a few years after talking to my fiance =D That denon receiver may be the way to go for now, but I'm still very much open to ideas - if not for now then at least for the future! And I have no problem buying used gear - so if anyone is selling - I'm looking :D

Thanks!

you could always get a receiver now and a separate amp later, and then use the receiver just as a pre/pro. A lot of people do that, but i kinda think thats a waste, but it works for a lot of people. but for 2-3k for just audio equipment, you could get a very nice pre/pro and amp by itself, if you get a good deal. If you dont need HDMI, definitely consider Rotel. I'm going to swear by them from now on...

You are of course free to do as you choose, but to spend more that a grand on a receiver with the rapidly changing protocols and interfaces is, IMO, foolish. But I am sure that you will receive no shortage of recommendations for a 2-3K receiver here!

In fact, I think a good case could be made for spending no more than about $750 on a Harmon Karden, Denon, or Yamaha receiver..

And if you "don't need HDMI" you are obviously not intending on using it for HD recorded playback, as it is a requirement. And HDMI will soon be supplanted by DisplayPort, the new interface standard. Why anyone would spend that much money simply to watch standard DVDs confounds the heck out of me. But hey, I realize that that is my issue.

With that money, you could buy a high end receiver now and still have enough saved to replace it with a unit compatible for the new formats in 2-3 years!