Name That Concept Car?

Gilbert

Wuzzer is a Winner!! I like that sound of that [;)] Bimmer's CS, and there will be a M version too.

It's Bimmer's response to the successful Mercedes CLS's mixture of coupe, and the upcoming Aston Martin (forget their Concept Name) coupe concept too. This Bimmer is huge, it's a hair over 200inches long and 78 inches wide. But very low slung to the ground. Currently meassures just bit larger than the current 7 series. Now, if I could only find a big bag of cash to put down for a deposit.

I think Chrysler will take the new BMW styling as a compliment. To me it looks like BMW is trying to make it look like a Dodge.

Can't say I agree with the Chrysler styling ques because I don't, but I will say that it is a semi-departure from the shitty Chris Bangle designs. Chris was okay with coupes and crayons, but he basterdized the rest of the line.

Anyway.... HERE's ANOTHER CONCEPT DUE AS A 2009..... but this one's fairly easy to determine.

post-12381-13819333910866_thumb.jpg

Gilbert,

Yeh, it may show my lack of aesthetics that I think I see a resemblance to Dodge. Chris Bangle is a new one for me, I did a little reading on him and he's an interesting type. Kind of unlikely to end up as design chief for BMW. To my eyes, though, he has picked up on something in Dodge's trend making grills bigger, more aggressive and masculine looking. In the case of Dodge recent styling, I haven't acquired a taste for it yet. Anyway, here's a couple examples of what came to mind when I saw the bmw.

post-11993-13819333913166_thumb.jpg

Gilbert,

Yeh, it may show my lack of aesthetics that I think I see a resemblance to Dodge. Chris Bangle is a new one for me, I did a little reading on him and he's an interesting type. Kind of unlikely to end up as design chief for BMW. To my eyes, though, he has picked up on something in Dodge's trend making grills bigger, more aggressive and masculine looking. In the case of Dodge recent styling, I haven't acquired a taste for it yet. Anyway, here's a couple examples of what came to mind when I saw the bmw.

I would never call it a lack of aesthetics; simply because whether an automotive body style is pretty or ugly, is a purely subjective thing. Gawd, just think how boring it would be if all cars looked just 1 way. Chris has balls, no doubt, I just don't care for his designs, or most of Chrysler's for that matter. I do like the 300C, I think the look is flatering for that specific car, but to stick that fuggly grill on the born again Charger was a mortal sin. Now Chevy is doing the same with the born again Camaro.

For what it's worth, a fellow by the name of Adrian Van Hooydunk, or something like that, is responsible for BMW's CS concept. And, actually, on the subject of copy-cat designs, it is Chris Bangle IMHO (who was BMW's Chief Design Engineer) who is being copied by Dodge/Chrystler, and many others. I say this simply because it was Chris that is responsible for introducing that (IMHO again) Gawd awful angular look, which several other manufacturers are copying today. Chrystler just took it to another extreme in some of their designs. And for the most part, it works for them, but not for BMW.... JMHO.

Chris is still with BMW, and last I heard, he is rumored to be promoted and taken out (partially) from the design team. And I believe that has already happened, recently too. Chris's big claim to fame/shame was the Z3 Roadster, back in 96 or 97. That car brought BMW much $ucce$$, and because of that, and the fact that he kissed the right people in the right spot, he made it to the top of the design team. Yes, Chris was in fact Chief Designer at BMW.

But it was when he introduced the BUTT ugly (literally) designs of the 5, 6 and 7 series, that too many die-hard, hardcore beemer enthusist complained, so BMW didn't let him touch or runaway with the 3 series. That would be too risky, because the 3 series is and has been BMW's "Bread & Butter" car.

I'll give the BIG grill look to Dodge, because Chris's, although bigger than traditional for BMW, were never as big as the Dodges.

Take care, and see ya!!