http://cgi.ebay.com/KLIPSCH-KPT-904-SPEAKERS

Bill H.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

before i test these out....need some bass bins that are already in the house and WAF accepted.

My 2004 LaScala's have k-45's in them.

On the left is a k-33, the right the k-45

The 904 bass bins are going into storage for another forum member, so I won't be using them.

post-22082-1381933404114_thumb.jpg

So the top sections are temp installed on the 2004 LaScala's.

For test purposes, I disconnected the LaScala mid horns and tweeters. Basicllay running the LaScala bass bins from the xovers in the top sections.

no one is home so the music is cranked up loud enough to be heard across the street. Even with the K-45's in the bass bins cranking out chest thumping bass, the top sections are still crystal clear.

post-22082-1381933404655_thumb.jpg

Crazy set up.

I'm surprised you didn't at least try the top section without changing the drivers -- since it came with a passive designed to work with that configuration. You're running the 1132's with the filter section engineered for the K-69-A/K-510, and the K-69-A on the filter section engineered for the K-70-G/K-703. FR will be highly irregular to say the least, and attenuation should be a mess considering that the K-1132 is 111dB, the K-69-A is 108dB, and the K-70-G is 105dB. I bet it sounds better across the street.:)

DeanG

Thats perfect....I was after jucing up the mid range....I'm glad I guessed thru this correctly...any idea how many db's the k-45's in the LaScala's are....you left that out.

I was going to use a K-4M adapter which would have tied up 4 pairs of k-55's. That would have gotten me to 115 db. But using a k-1132 was a cheaper alternative. I wanted to try the 3 inch diaprhagm in the k-1132. I could not beat the price i got them for (300/pr, list is over 500 each). I can sell the 4 pairs of k-55's and the k-4 adapter i was going to use.

The config i am using is the k-45 woofer, k-1132 as the mid, and k-70-g as the tweeter. Your right about being able to use the k-69-a as a tweeter, but I actaully pulled it out and am not using it. I guess if i need more HF, I could get an adapter and mount the k-69-a to the k-703, but i was thinking the smaller diaphragm of the k-70-g would be a better choice as a HF driver. 1.75 vs 2.75.

I did try one of the top sections as is and did not like it. After hearing Cyotte's Jub's I asked Roy what 3-way options exist with this stuff that was low profile and one of the combo's was the k-510 with a k-1132 as the mid driver.

The config in the phtoto puts out good bass with the k-45 in the bass bin. But i need to take this rig outside one day and crank it up to block party level to see if i need a second bass bin or use some of the tweeter attentuators that i have been buying up. Options on the second bass bin are a second LaScala type bass bin or a DIY KPT-480 which uses a k-47 driver. I have a set of k-47's waiting for a home.

this will eventually be my new block party rig. I need to transfer everything to another set of cabs i have. The k-703 and the k-510 actually fits in the LaScala horn section. I have some empty LaScala cabs that i will modify to accept the k-510 and k-703 and mount them in horn face plate.

I am still ill.... I agree with Dean why did you not keep them as designed, and run the Bass section off of the network. Personally, I feel this was a big mistake...the x overs were designed for specific drivers... Not everything is plug n play, even if I am still jealous I did not get this myself...hehehehehehe.

PS... if you ever want to re sell if at a slight profit as it was bought.. let me know!!

"I am still ill.... I agree with Dean why did you not keep them as designed"

I understand the concern, but this k-1132, k-70-g, config has been in my planning for quite awhile. I was going to order this arrangement from klipsch and have a price quote for it. But I came across a pair of 1132's, then later came across a set of k-70-g's. I bought the 1132's but held off on the k-70-g's long enough to buy this entire assembly on ebay.

i have heard the k-69-a in a jub setup and left one of the top sections intact to compare, but decided to go thru with the conversion. There are 4 bolts that hold the driver in place. it wasn't a complicated swap out.

I was intrested in a 3-way version from the start. In examining the character of both the k-69-a and the k-70-g, they appear to be simular in frequency response. For a behind the screen install, having 2 tweeters might be a requirement. I'm not putting these behind a screen, so I rather a true mid range driver. The k-1132 is a mid range driver.

I have a few sets of AL's attenuators ( they step at -3, -5, -7, -9 )and even if I set back the level , the k-1132 has a mid range presence that i prefer. The 3 inch diaphragm in the k-1132 sound better to me than the 2.75 inch diaphragm in the k-69-a.

Crazy set up.

I'm surprised you didn't at least try the top section without changing the drivers -- since it came with a passive designed to work with that configuration. You're running the 1132's with the filter section engineered for the K-69-A/K-510, and the K-69-A on the filter section engineered for the K-70-G/K-703. FR will be highly irregular to say the least, and attenuation should be a mess considering that the K-1132 is 111dB, the K-69-A is 108dB, and the K-70-G is 105dB. I bet it sounds better across the street.:)

agreed.

ok, for the faint hearted..please take some pep-to before before reading.

We pulled the race car into the pit stop and the mechanics hot swapped the standard xovers.....basically disconnecting them altogether.

post-22082-13819334076482_thumb.jpg

ok, the mechanic's now want to lower the K-1132 mid driver from 800hz to some where in the 500hz range.

they decided to install a plug and play board left over from a past Klipschhorn project.

the ak-4 xovers shares alot of the circut design as the AL-4 xover, so the mechanics remove all the bi-amp jumpers and route the k-1132 and k-70-g thru the HF section of the AK-4 and route the k-45 in the bass bin thru the LF section in the AL-4.

end result, a clear shift in the k-1132 crossover frequency to a lower point, assumed to be 500hz, some mild atthenuetation of both the k-1132 and the k-70-g while keeping the mid range emphasis originally sought. The Bass bin remains thunderous.

post-22082-13819334083156_thumb.jpg

SpeakerFritz....... You do realize a lot of people who might want what you bought just drool over those with the right subs as designed... I am not saying they might not sound good as to what you have done.. They were just were not designed for that in that way is all. To a purist.... this hurts....

• 10 months later...

Just curious if these are JubScala's.

They have k-510's and K-1132's

If I down grade them to 2 way and just use a K-510/k-69 would they then be JubScala's?

Since there are 3-way Jub's out there was wondering if these are 3-way JubScala's?

post-22082-13819367614156_thumb.jpg

You should watch more TV and give all of that stuff to someone who actually knows what to do with it!

I'm working a a utube video you will enjoy. I just need to round up a few more pieces of klipsch gear. I'm certain you will enjoy my video more than anything I can watch on TV.

• 10 months later...

bump for me, I'm playing with some of those drivers. Got K69A's on my JBL large format horns now (thanks SF), thinking of 1132's possibly, and just bought a K70 from eBay for $1.29!

play time.

hey SF, got a couple 1132's for cheap? I need to take them outdoors to a festival and dont' want to blow up my K69A tweeter drivers. Looking for power handling and reasonable top end to augment my MSM boxes.

Michael