I need more outlets!!

33klfan

I have used a regular GE surge protector for the past 5 years. I haven't had any problems with it. I do need more outlets now since my audio/video collection seems to keep growing. I don't want to spend over $200 which seems low budget, but at this time that's the most because i can't figure out if it's worth it spending a lot or not. I'm just looking for good protection, no spikes, and at least 10 outlets. I have a problem now with when i turn on a light on the same circuit it will flicker the tv signal. Also, when i turn the receiver on, it makes the cable look really bad like wavy lines, so there's some interference there. I don't know if a power conditioner would help that or not. I want something where it will be able to handle all the power of the equipment without any power drawing from another component like i read how a sub can do that. Would a computer surge protector with battery backup work or is it better to get a regular power conditioner like furman or something.

To see if any interference clears up, try moving your cables and separating power cables from coaxial, interconnects and speaker cables.

How many outlets do you have available? Are you able to split your components over 2 different wall outlets?

To answer a question with a question (I know, its taboo), are you running all of your goodies from a single 15 or 20 amp circuit?

If your looking for protection with 10 or more outlets, it sounds like its time to get a local electrician in and pull a dedicated circuit for all of your goodies,

and at the same time filter it for you.

Noise is noise, be it emi, rfi, but, sounds like a pretty good load you plan on putting there.

I have all 8 outlets filled on surge protector and that is plugged into a 15amp receptacle, but it is shared with other outlets on the same circuit. I could run a separate breaker myself but i don't know anything about the filter ordeal. I wonder how much that would cost. I still need another surge protector. O, and to answer my question, if it's filtered then is it ok to just buy a regular surge protector. If i leave it the way it is now, should i just buy another cheap surge protector or something else.

My signature shows what i have in my system.

If it were just the Pioneer and Scott, the 15 amp would do it, but when things like the pond pump come on (I know, just kidding) or anything inductive they tend to lick up some power on start up, which effects other components on that circuit.

I would at a minimum get a 20 amp source in the room (# 12 romex) for all of you "favorite" pieces and filter them. APC makes some very good "terminal strip" protectors, if you need to go that route, and a company called Sola makes some pretty descent commercial passive line filters, and active, for a higher price. There are a few companies who make full line filters (20 + amp capable) for single as well as 3 phase power, and can be found at mouser electronics, digi-key, newark, and various other distributors.

In this day and age,in existing homes, people tend to get caught up in the adding of gigets, and gadgets, and rarely consider
"power" (other than the kid at best buy trying to make a buck by selling th Monster bar) until a breker trips or something pukes.