Wanto crank it up a bit more

As far as the selection of Klipsch spkrs, I have NO experiences with any other klipsch than the ones i own. Im starting to realize these may not be for me , as far as what im wanting to do .These speakers sound super but, I want to be able to crank it really good and not have to be scared something is about to give. I know what your going to say everything has a limit. This i know and understand, as far as my CF3s 250 watts rms and 1000 watt peak . Im having my doubts , in real world conditions . Im only using my phase linear 200 w/ch @ 8ohm . About noon is the limit ill take it to on the volume . What im asking is , which of the Klipsch spkrs is the best when it comes to power handling and sound quality or cant you have both? Maybe its a issue that i dont know about such as the pl, my 2 spec 2s are being worked on as we speak so until i can hook them up this is all i have . Is it my power im running to them ? Are the older Klipsch the very large ones with the angeled back something i should look into. I havent decided yet but have thought about this , maybe somone out there is wanting what i have (the cf3s) and they have something i want (some other klipsch spkrs)? Thanks for any help Chris[*-)]

post-26411-13819334061238_thumb.jpg

Welcome.

The CF3's are nice speakers. You're running nice equipment all around. I'm familiar with your equipment very well. Without being in front of your system I'm gonna bet the distortion levels are peaking causing your speakers "to work against themselves". IMHO you're gonna have to upgrade to much cleaner power to raise the levels you're searching for. There's very few units available you're gonna be able to "floor the gas" on

As far as the angle back Klipsch go(KHorns) you won't find many speakers better but the output levels you're reaching for should probably be gotten by a different power source.

HarryO

Im not sure what your trying to do but your ears might go before those speakers go....I got K-Horns,,,LaScalas....Heresys powered with 24 watts a channel and could run you out of the room at 11 o-clock on the volume dial. I cant imagine your speakers not giving you what you want with 200 watts feeding them.Rick

"Im not sure what your trying to do but your ears might go before those speakers go....I got K-Horns,,,LaScalas....Heresys powered with 24 watts a channel and could run you out of the room at 11 o-clock on the volume dial. I cant imagine your speakers not giving you what you want with 200 watts feeding them.Rick "

La Scalas w/home built ALKs and grippers,HeresyII,HeresyI,1972 K-Horns with CT125 tweeters and 4500HZ A-type crossovers and new cast frame woofers from BEC,HK430,HK730,B&O 1700,Yamaha 1040,Akai Gx-F71

Rick, I couldn't help but notice you have an HK430. I just picked one up for $10.00 today and am listening to it now through some KG4.2's. This is a pretty good little receiver. I need to clean the control pots and replace a bulb at the high end of the tuning display, but other than that this little thing rocks pretty good. One heck of a buy!

Tom

I cant imagine your speakers not giving you what you want with 200 watts feeding them.Rick

It's more about how the 200watts are designed. I've had 200 watters that sounded so shrill with no bass on horns. Would drive you out of the room before you could hit 50 of the 200 watts.

cam,

How big is the room that your system resides in?

Do you have an SPL Meter and if so, what are you getting on it? If not, you need to get one (IMO)

I like to rock the house now and then; SPL readings running 106db and peaking at 116db.

I was getting this with a 105 watt MC2100 and a 120 watt Yamaha RXV running RF-63's and RF-3's.

Then I doubled the McIntosh power by going twin mono @ 210 watts per channel and the whole system sounds MUCH better but no louder.

All my speakers were at around the maximum SPL achievable, but now with cleaner power, it's stunning.

I really think you need an SPL meter...

~Noah

The CF-3's are pretty nice speakers. I'm surprised you want more oompf from them though....

What kind of music are you listening to? And what do you mean when you say you won't go past noon? Like what are the audible artifacts that make you think it can't go louder?

Is Boody, IL out near Decatur? I'm over in Champaign and if you ever make it by this way I could give you a demo of some Chorus II's to see if they go loud enough for ya. The 1000W peak on them certainly isn't exagerated [H]

I almost have to wonder if there's not an impedance mismatch between your pre and amp. I've seen a few other situations where Phase Linear amps have sounded bad resulting from crazy impedance matching...almost like they deviate a bit from the norm. If you wanted, we could get together and do some amp swapping too.

Btw, what does the rest of the room look like? Often times room acoustics can make things sound like they're straining - especially at louder volumes where you're overloading the room.

My system isn't as polished/attractive as yours, but like some of the other posters have noted, it will flat chase you out of the room if you turn it up too loud. Using the ear protection that I normally use at the pistol range and a SPL meter bought at Radio Shack, my son and I cranked up the system until the meter "pegged." The meter was placed roughly four feet from my left LaScala. I tried the right speaker with the same result. The volume control still had some room to go!

My son and I then opened the door to the house, walked across the yard and crossed the street. Roughly 80 feet from the front door, the sound quality was crystal clear with no distortion at all. I was worried about the subwoofer, so we put our hearing protection back on and turned the volume down. Several neighbors commented later that Dire Straits had never sounded so good.

As I read on the forum long ago, you know its too loud when your ears start to bleed and your vision starts to blur....

Enjoy your hearing while you got it!

Dave in Nashville

I'm not familiar with your CF3's and don't think I've ever even seen a pair. So, with that said, seems to me your basic answer is bigger is better? I can get my speakers to play god awful loud. As loud as it clearly is, it's more "BIG" sounding. I think that's what the bigger speakers do for you, just make it bigger. (like my technical jargon? [:P])

If you are serious about maybe getting something different (bigger?) perhaps a trip to Indy in a couple weeks would be good for you? Give you a chance to meet some of the nuts that are going to be there as well as hear some of the larger speaker offerings Klipsch has. Then you can make up your own mind?

I for one, say start big if the room and budget allow. You can always turn it down! I don't personally agree with the logic of "try something larger (say LaScalas) and then later on, you can upgrade to Khorns" My feeling is, if you have the room, have the budget, then start at the top and work your way down, until you find the right size for your fit.

You did ask a specific question "What im asking is , which of the Klipsch spkrs is the best when it comes to power handling and sound quality or cant you have both?"

My answer, much to the suprise of others here, will be the Jubilees of course. I have owned LaScalas for something like 28 years, I've owned Khorns also (the angled back speakers you refer to above). "in my room, with my electronics", neither one of those will carry the sound quality at volume like the Jubilees do. You can read on this very forum lots of comments about the midrange horn on the Khorn/LaScala "pinching the sound", "getting congested" or other comments about the K400 being a weak point... those problems are either fixed or greatly reduced with the (admittedly massive) K402 horn on the Jubilee. If you prefer a more modest horn, I've never heard the K510 horn on the Jubilee but I'd bet 10 cents it is better too (than the horn on Khorn/LaScala).

Thanks Mike ,yes im only 7 miles south of Decatur. Small world huh . Anyway im heading over gto champaign today to just go look at gvibes and also ive been told about another true High End place , i want to say Poure or (Poor) is the name of the store . I will ask around when i get there. Sure would like to listen to your set up sometime that sounds great, and in turn your more than welcome to come and take a listen at mine . You could probably give me a lot of insight . Im deffinatley still learning about how to set this gear up. I will be heading over there about 10 or so this morning , great day for a bike ride .[:D] I will pm you with my # ttyl Chris

Thanks Coytee, i agree withe the bigger the better then work your way down. I would have bought the Cf4s which have 12" woofers but at the time i got a good deal on these CF3s. I want some Imfo on this Indy deal. Ive never been to a audio deal such as that. Whats the name and how do i go about getting the Imfo . That would help me out alot as far as choices go . Thanks for the reply

In the interests of stiring things up a bit more. [:^)]

The position of the volume knob is no measurement of sonic output. And since volume controls are usually logarithmic, just past half way is usually the peak of undistorted output anyway, depending on other factors of course.

I think we need to know how loud you are actually listening before making suggestions. For example, if you are only getting 80dbs peaks at half throttle then there is a problem either with the amp, pre, room size, power to the amp, blah blah blah.

Also, loudness is relative. One man's loud is another man's quiet. I listen around 80dbs (peak). Rocking out to me is 90dbs for a couple of songs, maybe 95dbs for one song. Others are just getting started at 90dbs. You may be someone that likes to listen real loud, 105+. But we don't know.