My first veneering job.

arfz28

Well I am finished with a veneering job on a set of homade speakers for a friend of mine. The veneer is sapele and is stained in minwax natural stain and then 4 coats of hand sanded minwax semi-gloss polurathane has been added for the top coat.I learned quite a few things about veneering and these practice speakers turned out perty nice for a beginer, I just hope they hold up. I will see if I can get a few pictures of them posted, up next will be a set of heresys in the future.

post-8918-13819334074892_thumb.jpg

Daddy Dee, The speakers were made out of MDF, the ribbon striped sapele veneer is plain wood no paper backing on it, its 1/42 of an inch in thickness. I used weldwood contact cement the flamable type.

Oldbuckster as far as I know sapele wood is actually africian mahogany at least that is the info I read somewhere on the internet. I love the looks of it and think a set of k-horn would look awsome reveneered with it. My next project I would like to do is a set of heresys in sapele veneer I also just landed some rosewood veneer off of ebay what I will do with it I aint got a clue but some project I am sure will come along.

rcarlton, the edges turned out very nice I sanded down all my edges with a block sander and 220 grit sandpaper. As for bubbles go yes I had a few and this is what happend. I had both speakers veneered and setting in my basement the weather had been at about 85 degrees for a few days and then the third day it started raining and it rained for 4 days on and off we got seveal inches of rain and the humidity went nuts. I had the air off in the house because the tumperatures were in the low 70s and even in the 60s for highs. I had the windows open one night and that is when I seen about 6 bubbles on one of the speakers and 2 or 3 on the other, I was mad as heck and really didnt know what to do so I read on the internet to heat the bubbles up with a hair dryer to reactivate the contact cement and flatten the bubbles back out. I used a peace of wood about 2 inches wide by 10 iches long and 1/2 thick as my tool to put the veneer on and used it to flatten out the bubbles it worked great. I thought how long tell some more bubbles show up but according to the weldwood contact cement can it says that full drying time is 7 days so I let the speakers set for about 10 to 11 days before I put a finish on them letting the contact cement fully cure, I never had anymore bubbles appear. I really think that if the rain and humidity wouldnt have gone nuts I might never would have had any bubbles at all. Now I guess time will tell how the veneering will hold up so I am sure if more bubbles apear my friend will tell me.

rcarlton, the edges turned out very nice I sanded down all my edges with a block sander and 220 grit sandpaper. As for bubbles go yes I had a few and this is what happened. I had both speakers veneered and setting in my basement the weather had been at about 85 degrees for a few days and then the third day it started raining and it rained for 4 days on and off we got several inches of rain and the humidity went nuts. I had the air off in the house because the temperatures were in the low 70s and even in the 60s for highs. I had the windows open one night and that is when I seen about 6 bubbles on one of the speakers and 2 or 3 on the other, I was mad as heck and really didn't know what to do so I read on the internet to heat the bubbles up with a hair dryer to reactivate the contact cement and flatten the bubbles back out. I used a peace of wood about 2 inches wide by 10 inches long and 1/2 thick as my tool to put the veneer on and used it to flatten out the bubbles it worked great. I thought how long tell some more bubbles show up but according to the weldwood contact cement can it says that full drying time is 7 days so I let the speakers set for about 10 to 11 days before I put a finish on them letting the contact cement fully cure, I never had anymore bubbles appear. I really think that if the rain and humidity wouldn't have gone nuts I might never would have had any bubbles at all. Now I guess time will tell how the veneering will hold up so I am sure if more bubbles appear my friend will tell me.

Bubbles are a concern of mine. Have had occasional bubbles in my Bubinga Heresy's. The hairdryer trick really works!