new to turntables - Linn Axis

wpines

I'm considering buying a combo that's currently listed on Audiogon for a Linn Axis turntable and Benz Micro Ace cartridge for $800, maybe a little less. I didn't want to start out with a starter like a Music Hall MMF-2 or a Pro-Ject Debut III so I was looking around for something a little further up the quality line, used for $750 or so. It's like $200 more than a KAB Technics SL1200 and seems to be much more for the money.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1184551187

Your opinions, as always, will guide my choice. Thanks.

The Axis with the Ace is a sweet setup--go for it--I think your going dig it. Then, take it to a good shop and pay to have them set it up right. Ask them if you can watch so you can learn how to do it yourself. When you get it home you will need to isolate it from vibration. A wallmount stand is inexpensive but effective way to go.

That's a great deal and a very nice setup. I say go for it also. Is it local?

One thing to keep in mind, particularly since you're a TT newbie, is the Axis is one of the more difficult tables to dial in. Lots of tweaking is necessary for optimum performance from what I'm told. Find someone nearby to help you get it set up properly and show you all you need to know (preferably the seller if it's local). If you do find a shop that will help, pay them extra to come to your home. JMHO.

Good luck!

Edit: Nevermind. I see that the seller is in Canada. There are plenty of TT gurus out there and plenty here for on-line advice if needed.

I'm not an experienced tweaker. Are there some minimum tools/instruments I would need ? I have no vibration isolation devices at this point. Other than a wall mount, what are other effective, inexpensive, isolation methods. Is this too "tweaky" and "sensitive" a combo for a newbie to tables or is the learning curve easily climbed?

I don't think the Linn Axis is all that hard to set up. It was a more basic version of Linn LP12. I think it had a more solid, rubber suspension, not adjustable like the LP12.

In fact other than setting up the tonearm, I don't think there is any further tweakery needed. Allan used to have one, if he sees this I'm sure he'll post more definitive answer.

Edit: I was right. Here's a review....

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/oldeworldehtml/linnaxistt.html

I don't think the Linn Axis is all that hard to set up. It was a more basic version of Linn LP12. I think it had a more solid, rubber suspension, not adjustable like the LP12.

In fact other than setting up the tonearm, I don't think there is any further tweakery needed. Allan used to have one, if he sees this I'm sure he'll post more definitive answer.

Edit: I was right. Here's a review....

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/oldeworldehtml/linnaxistt.html

SORRY! I was thinking of the LP12. My bad!.[:$] The Axis is supposed to be a cinch to set up and dial in.

I thought that was an amazing deal.

You won't get anything as good new in that price range.  Buy used.

Can you go a little higher?  $1,000 - $1,500 will get you something really nice.  You won't regret the extra expenditure down the road.

What do you recomend in this price range?

Just to be clear, please specify new or used.

Thanks,

Stephen

I haven't heard back from thwe Axis seller so I guess my question is even more relevant.

My question was targeted at new turntable and cartridge combos, because being new to turntables, buying used could be a can of worms. Based on the advice to increase my budget, let me rephrase the question to "new table and cartridge for $1,500 or less". If there is a particular used table/cartridge in that price range that would be a good bet used, let me know that also. Thanks folks.

I like the sound of the Pro-Ject tables: RM-5, $650 (More detail and better bass than my older Rega P3), RM-6.1 SB, $900 (I have not heard), and RM-9.1, $1500. Cartridges: Sumiko Blue Point No.2, $300, Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III (I have not heard), $400, Benz Micro Ace $550, and Sumiko Blackbird $800. The Blue Point 2 is a good cartridge that is musically satisfying and not relatively expensive. Going to the Benz ACE will give you 10-20% more clarity and detail. The Blackbird gives you another 10-20% increase in performance.

Rega also has a new P3-24 which I have not heard, but I'm sure sounds good and will probably run about $700-$800. I believe the RM-5 and the Benz Ace will rival or surpass the Axis / Ace combo. In my experience, the RM-5 seems to have the same good "pace" as the Axis with a slightly better delineation of instruments, and more bass. Looking at the specs, the RM-6.1 SB seems like it could be a worthwhile up grade. Or, you can be really nice to yourself and get the RM-9.1 along with the Blue Point 2 and then get a better cartridge down the road. Enjoy!

New for $1100 with a Goldring High output MC give the Music Hall MMF-7 a look see. All setup and ready to roll. I've been using one for 4 years and for the money it's a great table. I wore out the goldring and now use a Benz Silver. One of these days I'm going to move up the Benz ladder to an ACE.

Keep an eye out on A'gon for a used VPI Scout w/cart or any Basis that's in the price range. If you can snag a Basis 2001 w/out a cart it would be in your best long term interest to use a cheap Shure or Grado with it until you can afford to buy something better. You should be able to find a Basis 1400 in that range with a cart. I can't give you a cart recommendation until I know what table you get. Usually with a package deal, the cart is a pretty good match anyway.

I like the Basis tables. Many folks here love the VPIs. Just stay away from the HW19 series.

I'm gonna buy new. Your guidance here has convinced me to up my budget and go new. I'm going to up the budget to $1,500 to 2,000. The pro-ject RM9.1 with the blackbird is $1900 but I prefer the old regtangular styling with the dust cover so I guess I'd have to look at the proj-ect perspective which is $1,700 with the blackbird. The VPI SCOUT W/ JMW 9 TONEARM & DYNAVECTOR 10X5 CARTRIDGE is $1,899. Do you have any thoughts or experiences on buying from a local shop compared to buying on the internet (needledoctor,elisive disc, etc.) ? A local shop could do setup for me, and since I'm new to this, that would be a comforting factor. I'm still listening and learning from you folks so any feedback is sure appreciated.

Take your time and look around for pricing. I just priced a VPI Scout with JMW 9 arm for $1350.00 NEW. At that price you can just about get the dust cover included for the price you were quoted.

Jeff

Your's might not have included a cartridge? His quote included a $400 Dynavector.