New Klipsch Surround setup -advice,opinions please !!?

jdbrown82

hey everyone , new guy here.

I am planning on purchasing a new Klipsch setup and i thought who better to ask then you guys; right !

so here is the story. we are going to make our purchase in july. we are going to get a new 60' pioneer plasma. but ill probably wait till august or so when they new models come out. i went to best buy to check out the klipsch speakers and tell them my plains..get their -quote 'advice' . the salesman showed me the synergy series. if i purchase the synergy series im thinking 4- F-2 floorstands, 1- C-2 center , and 1- 10' synergy sub. since looking at them i have been trying to find the reference series. they do not sale them at my local best buy (which is a two hour drive away mind you). using the dealer locator i found a dealer close by that is suppost to have the reference series.

that said, if i get the following what reciever and dvd player should i go with ?

4- RF-52 floorstand speakers, 1 -RC-52 center speaker, and 1- RW-10 subwoofer. and 1- Pioneer 60' plasma. im going to be watching dvds and playing xbox360 on the tv. the guy at best buy said to get the yamaha htr-6090, and the samsung blue ray/hd dvd player that is coming out. i did want to stick with the same brand. i been thinking of just buying a higher end elite model pioneer reciever and dvd player. what do you guys think ? and what do you think of the reference series that i named. is it worth the price/trouble or should i just go ahead and get the synergy series ? ?

any help would be much appreciated -

-jessie

The Synergy line isnt a bad speaker by any means, but the Reference speaker is clearly a better built speaker and worth the effort to locate. In fact, the reference speaker doesn't cost significantly more than it's cheaper Synergy counterpart. The Synergy line is a low cost 'High Markup' item sold by the Big box chains.

The 6090 is a good HT receiver, but I prefer the 'non-Best Buy' Yamaha models. (The Yamaha RX-V line) They are very similar except for some features, so either is a good choice. You're definitely looking along the right path, although I would personally steer clear of the Best Buy version of klipsch. You'll probably be more than satisfied with the Synergy speakers, but you should take that extra step and "step up" to the Reference speaker.

i finally got it to log in, about time ! yesterday i logged in , made this topic then i went to the forum and it keep giving a white page that said "oop something went wrong, or somethign about me maybe being blocked, or the site being down.." i dont know what the heck happen.

that said...yesterday i used the dealer locator and i found a local dealer with the reference series. i talked to them for about 20-30 min. they also sell the higher end RX-V yamaha receivers. im definitely going to go and check them out when i get the chance. thanks for the advice.

any suggestions on the dvd player. should i go ahead and upgrade to blue-ray or hd dvd... ? if so which one ? and again is yamaha even a good brand to go with . im pretty tech savvy myself and i do already know the answer to that i guess. yamaha has always been good. i just want some opinions/exeperience about it. i have never owned klipsch floorstand speakers or a yamaha receiver/dvd player so.... i do like/ or ill at least say liked pioneer recievers and dvd players. but im not to familiar with their newer models. are they any good or no ?

any suggestions on the dvd player. should
i go ahead and upgrade to blue-ray or hd dvd... ? if so which one ? and
again is yamaha even a good brand to go with . im pretty tech savvy
myself and i do already know the answer to that i guess. yamaha has
always been good. i just want some opinions/exeperience about it. i
have never owned klipsch floorstand speakers or a yamaha receiver/dvd
player so.... i do like/ or ill at least say liked pioneer recievers
and dvd players. but im not to familiar with their newer models. are
they any good or no ?

What kind of TV have you got, or
planning to get? If you have an extensive DVD library already, you may
want to take a look at Oppo DVD players, they've gotten lots of
favorable mentions, and the price is right. I'm personally waiting for
the HD disc "war" to flame out before buying into it.

I agree, that is exactly what i been TRYING to do. we are upgrading the surround sound so i just figured i might as well get a hd or blue ray player instead of just dvd. we have over 300 DVDs in our collection.

the tv we are planning on buying is the Pioneer 60' inch plasma.

Is there any reason in particular that you're going with 4x floorstanders and such a small sub to go with them? I would recommend something like bookshelves or surround speakers for the surrounds and then putting the extra funds towards better subwoofage.

And if you're looking into a bluray player, then you might want to look into the PS3 - especially if you're a gamer.

to answer dr.who's questions. it has nothing to do with funds. im going with the smaller 10' sub because i want to. the 10 inch will provide smaller puncher bass which is just what i want. also i listen to rock/heavy metal music so im not to much into bass, but i do like it. i did consider buying a ps3 after my first 360 broke but in the end i got another 360. i may still buy a ps3 later i dunno. thanks for the advice though.

today i went and checked out the klipsch reference series speakers. i went to the dealer i was talking about a couple posts up. let me tell, they where way nicer than the synergy series. definitely worth the price difference. they sounded great. i watch a little bit of Star Wars Episode One with them in a sound proof room. im even more excited about purchasing them now!

here is the setup i have so far...what do you guys think ?

4 Klipsch RF-52 floorstands -

1 Klipsch RC-10 Center -

1 Klipsch RW-10d

Yamaha RX-V1700 Reciever

Yamaha DVD-C950 5 disc dvd changer

Panmax M5100-EX surge protector

the tv we are still not sure on. we did see a 70' sony lcd project tv. man was that huge. but i am still looking at the Pioneer Elite 60' plasma. i do like how there was no glair from the lcd televisions though. what do you guys think about the tv type ? i want the best if you know what i mean. 1080 resolution, HDMI,you name it .....

also i have been klipsch and pioneer fan for years. i have been looking at the pioneer elite recievers and dvd changers too. so the question is "Pioneer or Yamaha ?

The notion that a smaller sub delivers more "punch" or "faster bass" or whatever you wanna call it is completely the opposite from reality. By all means do whatever you want, but if you're into metal/rock (like I am) you're going to need cleaner subwoofage - which can only be obtained with larger more capable units. I know I'm not providing the confirmation you seek, but it's the best advice I can give. If you want the poorer performance, then by all means knock yourself out.

i am going to a different store this week to check out some Denon and Pioneer Elite Recievers. Along with the Advice from those here whom have offered it; I have been putting alot of thought into this investment. that said i am now considering opting for the RF-62 models or RF-82.(maybe bigger)..that AND the 12' sub. Go big or go home..right !! :P

H,i what part of MO you from? Accent sound in leawood still has some RB35s that you could use for surrond .I got a pair for my son and they hold thier own against K-Horns.Doesnt look like your hurting on the budget so go for the goosd stuff..lol...Rick

jdbrown,

Now you're talkin about steppin up to 62's and 82's. That's great. Depending on how serious you are about going with a long term investment on your speakers, I'd recommend for you to get RF-63's or RF-83's and hold off 6 months or a year and get more stuff, then 6 months later get the rest of it. Its not as dificult as one might think waiting a year to finalize a system when you have nice fronts with some placeholder rears from your last system.

You sound more interested in theatre than stereo music here, that's why I'm recommending high line reference series and not cornwalls.

jdbrown,

Now you're talkin about steppin up to 62's and 82's. That's great. Depending on how serious you are about going with a long term investment on your speakers, I'd recommend for you to get RF-63's or RF-83's and hold off 6 months or a year and get more stuff, then 6 months later get the rest of it. Its not as dificult as one might think waiting a year to finalize a system when you have nice fronts with some placeholder rears from your last system.

You sound more interested in theatre than stereo music here, that's why I'm recommending high line reference series and not cornwalls.

your exactly right. i want great surround sound, and long lasting. its not the budget im worried about (been saving a long time). i just figured i would get the smaller models. but i DO want them to last and sound great so ill probably just go ahead and opt for the higher end models.

i listen to music in my car, and on my pc mostly. i also play electric guitar so i record with the pc as well.

I live in what they call the Bootheel of Missouri.

Today I went to the other buisness i mentioned above to check out some of the klipsch reference models and various recievers. first off i must say when i enter they only had one pair of bookshelf reference models. they just now started carring klipsch. they did on the other hand have a big selection of B&W (bowers and wilkins). i must admit they looked and sounded awesome. they had some of their higher end 800 models as well. they sell for $11k a pair. Wow i was thinking. but when its all said and done, what kind of klipsch fan would i be if i went those right?!...besides, they are hideous looking.

below is my updated list at about 90% final. I may get a smaller or bigger reciever, or tv. im not sure on those yet as the new pioneer plasmas are suppost to be out around august.

Television- Pioneer Elite Pro1540HD -60' Plasma

Reciever- Denon AVR-4306

DVD player- Denon DVD 1930ci

Floorstand(s)- x4 Klipsch RF-62

Center- Klipsch Rc-62

Subwoofer- Klipsch RW-12

Anyone who has any experience or knowledge about/with the above items please post. i would love to hear from you, this is a big investment im making.

-jdbrown_82

I have RF62 as mains, RC62center,RSX5 for surround and no sub..... only becuase money is an issue. I build as I can afford. I have no regrets with the '62s, the sound is like....wow. But if money was no issue, I would buy the RF63's, RC64, and what ever surround sound that match them and a kick *** sub.But I have that need for the best sound I can get. And my need might never be satisfied. But these good people on this forum know there speakers and won't steer you wrong. Good luck my friend

I just got a Pioneer Elite receiver and plasma. They both are absolutely top notch. You pay a premium for the Elite, but I saved money for so long that it was worth it. I don't think there is a better plasma out there. The receiver is so crystal clear and perfect I could not recommend it enough; however, the setup was not very user friendly, but once done, fantastic.

thanks alot guys. right now im pretty well set on getting a pioneer receiver and dvd player. im going back and forth alot doing research on both. features for the money, you know the game. i want as much as i can get. for example the denon reciever vs the pioneer reciever $1,500-$2,000 price range.... the pioneer is 140 watts x7, the denon is 130x7, the pioneer has 4 hmi inputs, the denon only has 3. same as the dvd players, check both to see what they upscale too, etc.

the place im going to buy my stuff from sales denon more, and they are a little biased towards it. i have never owned a denon though but i do know they are nice. they also sale B&W speakers as well and they are trying to talk me into them...(not to bad or i would shop elsewhere, you know.:D)

here is my FINAL list of compontents that im going to purchase. man did it take me forever to deside or what. alot of money being spend though, i dont want sh*% !

*TV- Pioneer Elite Pro-1540 60' plasma

*Reciever- Pioneer Elite VSX-84TSXi

*DVD Player- Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1 Blue Ray DVD player

*Floorstand(s)- Klipsch RF-62 -x4 in quanity

*Center- Klipsch RC-62

*Subwoofer- Klipsch RSW-10d

*Remote- MX650 OR MX850 (you can see the remotes at www.universalremote.com, look under professional)

*Surge Pro- Monster Home Theater HTS 2600 MK2

what do you guys think of the list ? im excited as H*el

-jessie

Jessie,

I have two proposed improvement paths:

At least go to the RF-82 for the fronts. Just going to 82s up front would be $200. An improvent in midrange freq response that would be well worth it. If you're set on getting the same 4 all around, then it would be $400 more for four RF-82's. For just that $400 bucks, I think you've improved alot on your proposed system.

For this level of effort you're undertaking, I think you're serious enough to get 83's or 63's up front. Going from your proposed system to the following would cost $1450 more, but would be more of a system you could breath easy with for the performance and long term usage factor. That is to upgrade the fronts to RF-63s and the center to the RC-64. For the cash you're laying out, another $1450 clearly puts you into a new league of sound. I'd consider the RF-63's and RC-64, a very bullet proof front end for theatre. I've demo'd my 63's on Saving Private Ryan at extreme levels and there was absolutely no weakness at the peaks. I can't say the same for the demo of the 62's I got at my dealer. Sorry if you're past input, but for $1450 more I think you go from a nice system to an awesome system that will scare you as well as your guests. Do you want them to get goose bumps or do you want them to wet their pants?

Kimball