Members Weekly Music Recommendations-May 22

thebes

Late again. Getting to be a habit, especially this time of the year when I'm working hard and drag my poor butt home. I'll try to do better and hope you'll keep stopping by.

So this week I going a bit out on a limb and recommending Sarah Brightman, "La Luna," cd, crossover.

This is Andrew Lyodd Weber's former squeeze who has a classically trained voice and had a fairly active New York stage career. She's has considerable success and this is one of here better known albums. It's her operetta type stuff "Figlio Perduto" that really appeals to me but pop efforts like "Scarborough Fair" and "A Whiter Shade of Pale" reveal that her voice is ptiched to high to sustain these songs.

So it's a mixed bag recommendation, but I must say the recording and arrangements are first class. Can you imagine how the original version of Whiter Shade of Pale would sound like with a full orchestra, like she employs on that song.

So what do you have to share this week?

ERIC BURDON DECLARES WAR...........What a great album Eric did here, backed by the band War. Hard to describe what kind of music it is, other than GOOD. Not your Animals here, but a Funky, Jazzy, down to mother earth type band. The Tribute to Roland Kirk is excellent, and of course the ever popular "Spill the Wine" always makes one smile. This is a must for any Eric Burdon fan, but I guess if your a true Eric fan, you already own this album, if not, go get it. I rank this as some of Eric's best work, he has never came close since this recording. Take a trip down "Tobacco Road", Eric will show you the way.......................

While not in MINT condition, I can still appreciate the 1971 pressing of YES "The Yes Album".....good engineering and no mistaking any members of the band. Bill Bruford, Chris Squire, Tony Kaye, and Jon Anderson MINUS Rick Wakeman.

Still a classic in todays' world and Now this week's notable acquisitions(sealed LP's):

Robin Trower "In City Dreams" 1977

Robin Trower "Caravan to Midnight" 1978

Jefferson Starship "Knee Deep in Hoopla" 1985

Poco "Legend"

Art Pepper "Meets the Rhythm Section" 180gm

Phil Collins "No Jacket Required"

UFO -- Strangers in the Night -- Amazing this live album didn't make UFO more of a household name--its so good. Michael Schencker riffs and solos with power throughout-- Phil Moog has the perfect voice for this tough jock rock--

If you like classic rock and haven't heard this, I can't recommend it enough.

B000005BBL.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

"A landmark batch of music -- not only for the original late 60s grooves
that make up the core body of work here, but also for the wonderful
compilation efforts by the label -- who with this one
collection in the mid 90s, helped kick off years of beat-digging into
funky European soundtracks! The grooves here are totally great -- made
up of funky jazz with plenty of late 60s hipster touches that include
fuzzy guitars, electric sitar, trippy production, and lots more great
bits -- all swirling in one of the sexiest collections ever offered up
on CD! This 2006 repackaging of the original compilation features even
better remastering than the first one, plus some bonus tracks as well
-- and the CD features 17 tracks that include "Shindai Lovers",
"Kamasutra", "Necromania", "Lions & The Cucumber", Ghost Or Good
& Bad Onions", "The Message", "Countdown To Nowhere", "People's
Playground Version B", and "The Ballad Of A Fair Singer"."<---I agree completely!

"A landmark batch of music -- not only for the original late 60s grooves that make up the core body of work here, but also for the wonderful compilation efforts by the label -- who with this one collection in the mid 90s, helped kick off years of beat-digging into funky European soundtracks! The grooves here are totally great -- made up of funky jazz with plenty of late 60s hipster touches that include fuzzy guitars, electric sitar, trippy production, and lots more great bits -- all swirling in one of the sexiest collections ever offered up on CD! This 2006 repackaging of the original compilation features even better remastering than the first one, plus some bonus tracks as well -- and the CD features 17 tracks that include "Shindai Lovers", "Kamasutra", "Necromania", "Lions & The Cucumber", Ghost Or Good & Bad Onions", "The Message", "Countdown To Nowhere", "People's Playground Version B", and "The Ballad Of A Fair Singer"."<---I agree completely!

I bought this one solely based on the album cover as I buy anything with naked women on the cover LOL. That purchase philosophy introduced me to Fela Kuti : )

Ok summer is here and that puts me in the mood for island music and funk. George Clinton with the passing of James Brown is the grandmaster of Funk. If you don't like Parliament Funkadelic you could have a cracker tumor. I can't even really recommend a particular record because they are all so good especially Chocolate City and Mothership Connection. If I had a time machine I would travel back and follow the Mothership Connection tour....zowee big old saucer landing on stage out walks GC fek yeah!

s14338.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliament-Funkadelic

Samples here http://www.answers.com/topic/mothership-connection

If you are a fan then you will want to order the PBS special called One Nation Under A Groove http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/parliamentfunkadelic/music.html

I don't know. Same planet, slightly different beat, but my main man is the Godfather of Go Go Chuck Brown. Wouldn't passs up a chance to see either.

Hey, OB just filled out my War collection thanks to you. First albums I ever bought off Ebay. Eric Burdon Declares War and Eric Burdon Black Man's Burdon. Love War even though they kicked Eric out of the band over his H use. He's clean and travels at least once a year with a tribute band. Still has the voice and moves.

I don't know. Same planet, slightly different beat, but my main man is the Godfather of Go Go Chuck Brown.  Wouldn't passs up a chance to see either.

Hey, OB just filled out my War collection thanks to you.  First albums I ever bought off Ebay.  Eric Burdon Declares War and Eric Burdon Black Man's Burdon.  Love War even though they kicked Eric out of the band over his H use. He's clean and travels at least once a year with a tribute band. Still has the voice and moves.

Dam saw George Clinton and Pfunk tonight. The show was great but people kept asking me for drugs LOL. I must have been the most sober person there. His band is absolutley amazing go see them if you have the chance.

"A landmark batch of music -- not only for the original late 60s grooves that make up the core body of work here, but also for the wonderful compilation efforts by the label -- who with this one collection in the mid 90s, helped kick off years of beat-digging into funky European soundtracks! The grooves here are totally great -- made up of funky jazz with plenty of late 60s hipster touches that include fuzzy guitars, electric sitar, trippy production, and lots more great bits -- all swirling in one of the sexiest collections ever offered up on CD! This 2006 repackaging of the original compilation features even better remastering than the first one, plus some bonus tracks as well -- and the CD features 17 tracks that include "Shindai Lovers", "Kamasutra", "Necromania", "Lions & The Cucumber", Ghost Or Good & Bad Onions", "The Message", "Countdown To Nowhere", "People's Playground Version B", and "The Ballad Of A Fair Singer"."<---I agree completely!

I bought this one solely based on the album cover as I buy anything with naked women on the cover LOL. That purchase philosophy introduced me to Fela Kuti : )

Email me for a version of "water get no enemy" that you've never heard ...