sub placement / performance

myatt

Hello again,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Ive been reading some of the threads regarding sub placement and just had a few questions I was hoping someone could answer.

I have the Synergy sub-10 with the Quintet III package. The sub is placed on the same wall with the front 3 speakers (and TV of course). Because of the layout of the room, the sub is not in a corner, it just sits next to my entertainment center about 5 inches from the back wall. My main listening position is the couch which sits about 10 feet in front of the TV (and speakers). Im pretty pleased with the sound (the Quintets sound great anywhere in the room) from that position, but from my other seats (one which is only 4 or so feet from the sub) the bass doesnt sound as crisp.

Does it make that much of a difference to be just a few feet further away from the sub to get better sound? Also, I have a corner placement I might try, but it is a good 5 feet or so from the main L and R speakers. Im concerned this might be too far from the action, but I may try this to get a better bass response.

Just curious what you folks have for suggestions.

Thanks again,

Try this. It's how I got my sub to sound the best it could. (if possible) Put the sub where you sit. Literally, right in your listening position. Then walk around the room, and where ever the sub sounds the best is where you should place it. Obviously, this isn't always possible to do though. If nothing else, try to get it out of the corner. Believe it or not, despite popular belief usually subs don't sound the best in corners. Try to call on "The Ear" for more help here. He's a subwoofer guru.

I appreciate the feedback.

Funny you mentioned the corner placement. I bought a 12 foot cable to test out some areas in the room and the first was the corner on the same wall as the TV etc. I thought it sounded way too 'boomy' and not near as good as the other spot I had it (not in a corner). I guess I always thought corners were the best, but in this case it might not be. I'd like to be able to place it anywhere in the room based on where it sounds best, but because of furniture (and the .mrs not liking non too much) I just have a few spots to choose from. I think the spot near the front L & R not in the corner works for me. It doesn't sound great when sitting close to the sub. But from the couch in front of the TV (which is the main listening area) the bass is pretty tight and crisp.

Thanks for the feeback.

The sub will often not sound great from all points in the room. If it sounds good at your listening position, good enough!

With my previous layout, I had a strong bass reinforcement spot about 3 feet to one side of the nearest chair, but no-one sat there, so it didn't matter. When the music was loud, it was odd to go through that little bass-heavy zone, only a couple of feet in diameter.

Somewhere between the front speakers often gives the most realistic bass, with music in particular.

I've read on lots of sites that you should put the sub in a corner. I guess you would do that so that the reflections in the corner amplify the bass output. Of course I would think that could make it boomy and smear it a bit.

The thing I always wanted to ask was if you have a bass trap in a corner, would the subwoofer be best placed near the trap?

Try this. It's how I got my sub to sound the best it could. (if possible) Put the sub where you sit. Literally, right in your listening position. Then walk around the room, and where ever the sub sounds the best is where you should place it. Obviously, this isn't always possible to do though. If nothing else, try to get it out of the corner. Believe it or not, despite popular belief usually subs don't sound the best in corners. Try to call on "The Ear" for more help here. He's a subwoofer guru.

definitely try what he ^^^ suggested. this is my procedure as well. Also i have gotten some good results from putting it beside a couch or recliner facing sideways; vs the usual facing forward. the best spot is in the floor a couple inches in front of the tv In my opinion. then thats if your willing to rip up the floor. no biggy , lol !

Had my sub in a corner location, mid bass was way too boomy for me, theEAR suggested getting it out of the corner, moved it out, boomy-ness gone, sounds much better...............Tommyboy is right about theEAR........Mr. Sub Woofer..........indeed................

What you're experiencing is probably dominated by the presense of room modes. The distribution of peaks and nulls of the standing waves in your room is going to cause very different frequency responses at all positions in your room. Sometimes moving your head only a few inches can dramatically change the frequency response.

I came across this article searching for something to help portray the point:

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/Room_acoustics.html

While I don't agree with everything mentioned, it should give you a good idea on the issues at play. If you want to go a bit more technical, this article is infinitely better:

http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/multsubs.pdf

Set the levels to the sub while it is in your sweet spot. The one thing I would suggest differntly that what has been said so far...Move the seating to place the sub.....Get down on your knees after you place the sub in the sweet spot. This will keep your head about the same hight as when seated. Bass will change as you stand up as well as when you move around. Not just with a sub but with any speaker that can reproduce lower freqs......Play some some music with nice bass content you are used to, stereo. Wonder around the room, usually when you find a spot where the bass sounded like ity did when at your sweet spot you can place the sub there, probably more than one spot will result about the same.

What you're experiencing is probably dominated by the presense of room modes.... Sometimes moving your head only a few inches can dramatically change the frequency response.

Yessiree!!! When you play something too loud and your wife comes in and slaps you upside the head, your head will (a) move a few inches, and (B) dramatically change your frequency response. Dramatically = the "drama" when she wops you; and frequency = well, your "get lucky" frequency could change.....[6] We won't go for the "peaks" and nulls... It's just too painfull to think about.... [:P]

• 2 weeks later...

I have 3,a left and right sub, and the most "fun" sub I have is a third one placed with the dirver facing the sectional sofa!

Wife hates it so I know it's a success!

Screw the WAF....It's all about the WHIF "Wife hates it factor"

Now I understand why you wanted to see pictures of my wife.

What you're experiencing is probably dominated by the presense of room modes. The distribution of peaks and nulls of the standing waves in your room is going to cause very different frequency responses at all positions in your room. Sometimes moving your head only a few inches can dramatically change the frequency response.

I came across this article searching for something to help portray the point:

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/Room_acoustics.html

While I don't agree with everything mentioned, it should give you a good idea on the issues at play. If you want to go a bit more technical, this article is infinitely better:

http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/multsubs.pdf

Right on the money Doctor.

What you're experiencing is probably dominated by the presense of room modes.... Sometimes moving your head only a few inches can dramatically change the frequency response.

Yessiree!!! When you play something too loud and your wife comes in and slaps you upside the head, your head will (a) move a few inches, and (B) dramatically change your frequency response. Dramatically = the "drama" when she wops you; and frequency = well, your "get lucky" frequency could change.....[6] We won't go for the "peaks" and nulls... It's just too painfull to think about.... [:P]

That's what happens when you marry someone who is an ex-boxer.