Wish more record companies would do this.

joshnich

Just bought the new Wilco record on Vinyl ( blue sky blue) and along with the two records came a CD. Nice touch to get the CD along with the record! Wish more companies would do that. Nice record BTW. INCREDIBLE guitar work by Nels Cline who joined them for this recording and he really adds another dimension.

Josh

Josh,

I have the CD as well and can't get enough Wilco. The guitar on 'Impossible Germany' with Jeff Tweedy and Nels Cline is nothing short of awesome. Great song and great disc/album. I also have alot of obscure Wilco stuff if you're interested.

Very cool to include the CD with the vinyl.

Scott,

Funny that you mentioned that as I felt the same way. It has definitely grown on me. I would, without hesitation, consider it a great Wilco album. Not sure if you are Uncle Tupelo or SonVolt fan, but the new Son Volt is their best in years (since 'Trace').

Enjoy.

I really like Uncle Tupelo but, I got there moving backwards from Wilco. Summerteeth was when I really started listening to Wilco. WIth all the delays with their followup YHF, I had plenty of time to go backwards and learn the older stuff.

I've been holding off on this release (money issues), waiting for opinions because I can't get them all. Since my Wilco collection so far is on vinyl I'd like to go the vinyl route, but if they are the same I may save my pennies and get the CD only.

Since they are both digitally mastered, how does the vinyl compare?

Or should I hold off even longer in case they release an analog only version later? [*-)]

I've been holding off on this release (money issues), waiting for opinions because I can't get them all. Since my Wilco collection so far is on vinyl I'd like to go the vinyl route, but if they are the same I may save my pennies and get the CD only.

Since they are both digitally mastered, how does the vinyl compare?

Or should I hold off even longer in case they release an analog only version later? [*-)]

How do you know the vinyl is digitally remastered? I've read in the past that Jeff Tweedy is a tape fanatic. Doesn't like recording digital. The album only says Half-Speed Matered for Vinyl by Stan Ricker. I know nothing about the engineering and mastering of recordings which is why I ask.

By the way, the album is growing like a weed. Typical of other Wilco albums, about the time I start to wonder if I like it, I all of sudden can't get enough of it.

Scott,

I dont know anything about mastering either, but I am pretty sure you are correct. I recall a WSJ article on Jeff Tweety and his obsession with tape and how he was buying up all the stock he could find. I also agree that like all Wilco LPs it is growing on me as well!

Josh

If you want the CD, why not just buy the CD

I want the record but occasionally I find that having the CD is good. You know for things like playing it in my car and putting it on shuffle in my cd player stuff like that. So rather than pay extra for music I have already paid for I think its nice to get it included.

Josh

See this thread for details about the mastering. It sounds like it was recorded on analog tape then run through a ADC for mastering for both the CD and the LP. I didn't notice any mention of what bit rate the LP was cut from but if it's 24/192 or 32 float it should still sound better than the CD.

Also see Steve Hoffman's comment in this thread about the LP being "Mastered from Bob Ludwig's mastering."

Given Wilco's history of analog releases I wonder if there will be a subsequent LP release.