Vincent Audio SA-31 Hybrid Tube Pre-amp,,,,,

SWL

I seen this pre-amp on Audio Advisor for only $500.00. Seems like a good price but I'm asking the pros here to steer me in the right direction. I'm looking for a tube pre-amp to use with Crown XLS-802's and RF-7's. Thanks in advance, Scott.

But the Merlin won't work well with it.

You will need a box/buffer, of some kind to go between the Merlin and the Crown. The input impedance on most SS power amps is too low for the high output impedance of the Merlin (or most tube line stages). I believe Mark says the Merlin needs to see at least 20K to mate well. You only get 10k unbalanced on the Crowns. Tube power amps have a much higher input impedance.

You will lose a lot of bass (happened with me feeding into an Alesis SS amp.

Bruce

Thanks for the info guys. If I had to get the box/buffer of some kind would that be so bad? Or is there some other tube pre-amp under 1k that works well with the Crowns? Right now I'm using a Denon 3805 with Crown XLS-802'S and RF-7's. With the BFD and room treatments it sounds so good. I guess I'm waiting for someone to tell me that a tube pre won't be much of an improvement towards that warm tube sound? All the posts that I read describing it is right up my alley......hmmmm.

Using the box would be ok. I had priced some Jensen transformers at one point, but they would have run about $150, and still need to be put into a box with connectors. The advantage of the transformers would be no added noise, as they are passive. I have wanted to find a simple tube buffer design that I could build, maybe with a 12AT7, to get a lower output impedance. Similar to what Mark does in his phono stage, to be able to feed the line stage properly in the BBX.

Bruce