OT - Backyard project!

skonopa

lisa,

my 21 year old nephew (little danny) and i built it.

we have never built anything like this before.

everyone asks about the plan and i tell them we wrote it on a piece of toilet paper and we needed that for an emergency.

the only reason i didn't get a permit was because i knew somebody would want to see a plan and there was not one.

i knew for my size lot the building had to be less than 400 sq feet and 5 feet off the property.

when we staked it out, we put the first stake 8 feet off the property line and went from there.

when i first thought about it i was thinking 16x16, but after looking at it staked out, i decided to make it 16x24.

i also knew i wanted 2 small garage doors and an entry door. while we were getting the rough opening for the entry door i saw windows and decided to put in a couple of windows. after building the opening for the first garage door i decided to go from 5 windows to 3 windows because it was taking so long to put up the framing with the openings. i took a couple of days off from work, but most of this was done on weekends. we started the first of april and finished about 3 weeks ago. i couldn't get the garage doors (roll up doors) locally and ordered them off the internet. the 2 door's are suppose to be delivered tomorrow by fedex.

found out about "scissor trusses" and now i have 9 ft ceilings in the shed. never heard about these until it was time to put the roof on. they were delivered by a 18 wheeler and i was thinking oh my gawd what have i gotten myself into.

when it was time for shingles all i knew was i wanted 30 year shingles and i didn't want black. i ended up getting grey architectural shingles. i had never put on shingles before, but i remembered watching something on diy network about putting the first course on upside down and never have seams. so far no leaks.

the siding is hardy board. i figured i needed about 45 boards to complete the shed. ended up needing 105 boards. i cannot tell you how many trips to lowes i made.

when we first started my nephew said we need to get a compressor and a framing nailer. i said we were going to nail it by hand. he finally wore me down and i ended up getting the compressor and nail gun. the only box of 3 inch nails i could find had a count of 4k nails. i was going what am i going to do with 4k freaking nails. well we went through that box.i went back to lowes and bought another box of 4k 3 inch nails and 4k 2 inch nails. i told him i never wanted to buy nails again. i told him when i die i wanted him to build my coffin and use the gawd darn nails.

when it cools down in a couple weeks i have to dig a trench from the house to the shed so i can run power. it will have a 100 amp breaker box out there. i will then paint it and start moving my "stuff" out of the closets in my music room. once everything is moved out i will knock out the 2 closets. i will then have 2 corners for my khorns on the short wall. next spring i will tear out all the paneling, the 2nd front door and all the carpet. i am then going to learn how to sheetrock, put in hardwood floors and i am sure make many trips to lowes.

i have no idea how much this has cost. someday i will total it up, but my nephews big joke he tells everyone is that i spent $6k to move my speakers 3 feet.

another reason i did this project was that my nephew was spending too much time with strippers and drugs. he got in some major trouble and asked if he could come to bham and stay with me. he moved in last october. this was a project that we both could do. i don't really care how much it cost because he has been clean now 10 months and is going back to college in the winter. he moved back home a couple weeks ago but i am hoping this is something he remembers for the rest of his life because i know i will.

sorry this is so long. i am waiting for "somebody" at juicy music to call me about a new preamp.

the attached picture is of little danny and myself taken on mothers day 2007.

later,

danny

post-2247-13819339954002_thumb.jpg

Great project Danny, took a lot of guts to tackle something like that yourself. Major kudos for helping little Danny and way to go on 10 months dude. I love the story about the estimating misfortunes and the nails. Sounds like you two had yourselves a blast this summer. Nice finished work- something you can be proud of and you'll remember the times you had building it for a long time to come.

Michael

Hey db: You suck! LOL [;)] That's the nicest looking "shed" I've ever seen! Outstanding job!

Steve: I like the clean design of your new shed. That thing look like it should last for 50 years! Is it all blow-molded plastic?

Man, did you have any trouble getting the doors to line up? I just built the same thing and they say to shim the back corners on the high side but it ain't gettin there. Everything snapped and fit just right, my platform is level, but the dayum doors ain't fitting very well. Any suggestions?

In my case, the doors did not line up exactly. However, if I recall, you first placed a shim on the front corner with the low side of the door. If that did not work, then you place another shim under the back corner on the high side of the door. If not, then add another shim under the front corner and then back. If if took more than four shims on each corner, than there is a bigger issue. It ultimately took two shims on the front corner and one on the back corner on mine until I got the doors to line up somewhat decently (although still not "perfect", but "good-enough" for me! Hey, they open and close without binding, and the latches lined up).

Hey db: You suck! LOL [;)] That's the nicest looking "shed" I've ever seen! Outstanding job!

I agree! That is a nice job there. A bit more ambitious than what I needed (I just wanted something to replace the old one and to store my two lawn mowers (riding and walk-behind) and such in).

Steve: I like the clean design of your new shed. That thing look like it should last for 50 years! Is it all blow-molded plastic?

The directions pretty much said "this is most likely the last shed you'll ever need to build!". It is steel-reinforced plastic panels. Supposed to be all UV and weather resistant. The think looked flimsy when I first saw one, but believe me that, thing is pretty darn solid and so far, as withstood some pretty dozy of storms so far this summer (had one with 60-mph winds with 90-mph gusts come through here a couple weeks ago - knocked power out of nearly the entire area! [st]).

However, I cannot say so much about my old shed.... [:o]

DSC05746Medium.jpg

another reason i did this project was that my nephew was spending too much time with strippers and drugs. he got in some major trouble and asked if he could come to bham and stay with me. he moved in last october. this was a project that we both could do. i don't really care how much it cost because he has been clean now 10 months and is going back to college in the winter. he moved back home a couple weeks ago but i am hoping this is something he remembers for the rest of his life because i know i will.

"You can spend too much on them???", asked Charlie Sheen... Seriously, you're doing a really good thing, plus you have to respect your nephew for motivating himself to straighten out. Best of luck to both of you.