W T B stereo cartridge lomc anyone have one ??????????????

Joe, I have a Spectral "MCR-Signature II" that I'd almost forgotten about. I think I set it aside because its output was too low for my equipment.

And, that's the potential problem -- a rated output of only 0.2 millivolts! This would require a PHONO-stage gain of at least 60 db, and preferably 65-74 db, on top of the customary 10-26 db linestage gain.

This brings up the point that you'll need to get the appropriate phono gain to go with a given LOMC cart. If the phono gain is too low, you'll get noise, and often a weak, pale kind of sound. Moreover, the Spectral's 0.2 mv is unusually low. My Transfiguration, for example, has 0.5 mv output, which is at least 7 or 8 db higher output than the Spectral. Even the Transfig needs 61 db to work well. It did not work well with my earlier CAT preamp's 46 db phono gain.

So, you'll need to solve how to get the kind of gain you need as well as locate the right kind of cartridge. I don't recall what preamp you have, but Mark Deneen could solve this with the right Cream transformer option in one of his Blueberrys.

Also, I have no idea what condition this old Spectral is in.

Larry

grado does make lomc but the sonata isnt one of them i do appreciate the replys though

Joe

The Sonata is available in both 4.8mv output as well a "Statement" version that is .5mv output. You are right in that is not a typical MC cart.

Josh

oops you are right i totally forgot about the statement version, is that the cart you have i would be very interested in giving that a whirl.........................i had a grado sonata high output a couple years ago and was mightily impressed with it (in my limited set up at the time), grado is a long time company that has many fine products, kinda like klipsch in that respect, anyway if you do find it and it is the low output version i would definately be interested

Joe

Hi Larry,

I don't really know the current value but it's a very sought after cartridge especially if it has low hours. I think that the retail was around $1500. I've seen lightly used vintage Supex 900 cartridges sell for way over what they were sold new so I can't really estimate the price.

I have sold a lightly used, vintage, Koetsu Black cartridge for a little over 1/3 of the $1500 retail and I've seen similar cartridges sell for much more. My guess that a fair price would be anything between $500 to $750.

Best regards,

Guy

larry that is a deal, if you could let me know how you wish to be paid, and or if needed an address to send money to, i can do pay-pal, check or money order what ever you prefer, i will respond to your email with the info needed with my address for shipping

thanks Joe