Bye Bye Paradigm, Hello "Fire Breathing Monsters"

Beesley

Good morning,

I recently went to buy a sub for my paradigm HT (studio 20v.3 studio adp-470v.3) and although I am picking up the rw-10d subwoofer tomorrow, a pair of rf-83 are coming home with them. I'll probably experiment with the x-over setting but would you think the rw-10d could "co-exist" with the rf-83? Also do you feel rb-35s (already have) would work fine as surrounds? I'm a bit excited as these are the first speakers I am purchasing NIB, authorized dealer.

I'd think minimum you'd want the RW-12d and more likely the RSW-10d. Really though for the best match on the RF-83 the RT-12d is the ticket. YOu could probably get a better Velodyne or SVS sub however for significantly less money.

depends, svs are large, velodyne for alot more money.... The RT-12d is probably the best option to match, though it also depends on your stance of what you like.

Congrats on moving to Klipsch. Paradigm's are good just different. I have a good buddy who wishes he had put Klipsch in his theater instead after hearing mine. That's part of the problem, hard to find a place to listen to the damn things.

I'm a sucker for "one time deals", the rw-10d was the only sub on sale. the speakers and sub would be less than ebay before shipping.

You need to realize that the RW-10d is pretty low on the Klipsch sub totem pole.

You're talking about pairing a $499 retail low-end sub with a pair of $2498 retail top of the line Klipsch towers. [:o] I think you called them "Fire Breathing Monsters".

Specs?

RW-10d = 28-120Hz +/-3dB

RF-83s = 29Hz-21kHz +/-3dB

I'd forego the sub unless you have to buy it to get the better deal. Frankly, you'll never even notice it's there with those towers. [:|]

Are you going to use a Klipsch center, too? Maybe you should buy it instead of the sub.

BTW, the RB-35s will work great as surrounds.

I'd forego the sub unless you have to buy it to get the better deal. Frankly, you'll never even notice it's there with those towers. [:|]

Good point. Also, don't try using a Paradigm center with Klipsch mains. Your head will explode. I have Studio 20 v.4's and I cringe to think what would happen if I tried using a klipsch center with it. The two sounds just wouldn't go together. I love Klipsch and Paradigm both, but not together.

I concur, although my head hasn't exploded yet. My Paradigm CC-370 v4 center sounded great with my old main speakers, less so with the La Scalas, and with the new Yamaha MX-D1 amp for the Scalas, the Paradigm now sounds kinda low-budget (limited depth and presence), so I only use it for movies.

Saving up for a Scala or Belle center...

Let's be real, your set up certainly doesn't induce an image of power let alone fire breathing monsters!! SVS subs in your price range would get semi-close to power without quite obtaining the ultimate. Ticket is to start with the best that you can afford and not skimp on such important elements of a HT.

Let's be real, your set up certainly doesn't induce an image of power let alone fire breathing monsters!!

Aw, don't burst his bubble! I'm not certain what his receiver/amplifier is, but I would imagine the RF-83s are pretty sensitive and probably have some prodigious output. He's comparing their output to his much smaller Paradigm bookshelves.

I'm a sucker for "one time deals", the rw-10d was the only sub on sale. the speakers and sub would be less than ebay before shipping.

You need to realize that the RW-10d is pretty low on the Klipsch sub totem pole.

You're talking about pairing a $499 retail low-end sub with a pair of $2498 retail top of the line Klipsch towers. [:o] I think you called them "Fire Breathing Monsters".

Specs?

RW-10d = 28-120Hz +/-3dB

RF-83s = 29Hz-21kHz +/-3dB

Are you going to use a Klipsch center, too? Maybe you should buy it instead of the sub.

BTW, the RB-35s will work great as surrounds.

I do agree with that statment " you 'll never even notice........? May be you should buy it instead of the Sub"

First, you need to ask yourself what you are going to use the system for?

Then decide what's important to you. The RF 83's do a really good job, if set right, at handling bass.

But if you need a sub to go with your system, I suggest you get a minimum of a 12 inch, such as RSW 12 or SVS. The RW 10 might fall a little short.

If money is not a issue then the options are limitless but I'm guessing this is not case here since you are looking at the RW 10 because of a deal.