Here's something you don't see every day . . .

In a word Allan, don't.

The giveaway is that it was cleaned.

Let me step back a bit an explain. I recently bought two albums off of ebay from two different vendors with excellent feedback. I wasn't concerned with the label nor the covers just the shape of the viynl which was described as "very,very good" and "VG+++" whatever that means. They showed up looking very shiny. In strong sunlight on one of them though you could see a large number of scratches. In playback they were both noisy, somewhat detailed but muted. You guessed it they were either worn out, had the life scrubbed out of them or both. My guess is excess amounts of alcohol resulted in that scratch paper surface noise, and excessive zeal had stripped out all the good stuff hidden deep in the grooves.

Don't get me wrong they are playable and approximate the original sound but at $15 versus a $1 garage find, I'm much more disappointed in the end result.

My conclusion from the whole episode is I will never buy vinyl of ebay again. The bulk of wax sold is by dealers. They all own machines, probably brew their own cleaners to save a buck. Ebay, of course, scumbags that they are, are loath to set even minimal standards for rating records. They reap millions of off vinyl sales with far less in the way of ethical business standards than a used car salesman. Screw them. It's way too much of a crap shoot as currently setup.

If you are collecting cover art, fine. If you are up for music, fergetaboudit.

Sorry for the hijack but I was meaning to write this up anyways. With bidding over a grand and reserve not met, I though a cautionary tale was in order.

I've known the brothers who own Atomic Records for about 15 years. I have SEEN this copy in person (they've had it for months in the back room and actually put it up on ebay about 3-4 months ago and it did not meet their reserve price) and it as close to perfect as a record can be and NOT be sealed and mint. It's that nice. But too expensive for me.

I actually run into these guys at clubs and swap meets too--they're honest but not ALWAYS the best graders--they have crap equipment and are NOT hifi guys in any way. But they'll take any record back no questions asked.

Allan, help me out here.

I looked at the other listings from Atomic, and I see Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section @275.00, but + 11 is a no bid @5.00. I would love to get a copy of + 11, but I don't know if it would be better to get a reissue or an original pressing (I run a Basis 1400 with a modified RB300 arm and a Grado Sonata reference cart). I have been following Gary's new 124 set-up for his mono collection. I don't have the luxury of two set-ups.

Would this Contemporary pressing of + 11 be a waste on me?

Thanks in advance - Chuck

Allan, help me out here.

I looked at the other listings from Atomic, and I see Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section @275.00, but + 11 is a no bid @5.00. I would love to get a copy of + 11, but I don't know if it would be better to get a reissue or an original pressing (I run a Basis 1400 with a modified RB300 arm and a Grado Sonata reference cart). I have been following Gary's new 124 set-up for his mono collection. I don't have the luxury of two set-ups.

I sold Gary an Analogue Production reissue I picked up at Atomic for $15 used--I didn't even listen to it before I sent it to him. My mistake--it's freaking AWESOME. I think they're still in print for $30. But that one!!!

Allan, help me out here.

I sold Gary an Analogue Production reissue I picked up at Atomic for $15 used--I didn't even listen to it before I sent it to him. My mistake--it's freaking AWESOME. I think they're still in print for $30. But that one!!!

Allan - That was my "plastic" turntable as much as the album ;) Seriously though, you can still get the Analogue Productions + Eleven and Meets The Rhythm Section for $25 at Elusive Disc or Acoustic Sounds and they are AWESOME! Actually, any jazz LP done by AP is great. I'm not as crazy about their rock reissues though.

I listened to my early Analogue Productions (then known as Alto ZYX Records) reisssue of Quiet Kenny this weekend. VERY nice record! I'm guessing it sounds every bit as good (probably better) as the original and I paid $15 for it!

Chuck - The Analogue Productions reissues blow away the originals IMO. Don't waste the money unless it's for investment purposes. Don't laugh. Some of the originals I bought a few years ago have crushed the stock market! Also, don't buy the OJC copies for $10-$15 when you can get the AP copies for just a little more.

Allen I stand corrected good buddy. Of course if anybody around here would be savvy about this it would be you.

However, as a cautionary tale, I do feel my comments may be of some use, especially to those just getting into lp collecting.