La Scala for Sale Chicago Area $650

dkalsi

Hi Everyone! I went to check out these speakers. (Sorry the link doesn't work anymore.) The serial numbers are not consecutive: 9R406, 9R433 but are both from 1977 according to another thread. The gentleman selling them had them hooked up in his garage for me and they really sounded great.

Here is my question: The crossovers, which are Klipsch AA have a little attachment on each one that has a knob for tweeter and a knob for mid. I'm assuming these were not originally part of the crossovers.

Has anyone ever heard of this before? Do you think it would be possible to remove such attenuators?

The reason these are no longer listed on craigslist is because I put money down. I'm coming back with a minivan to pick them up...couldn't say no to the price for my first Klipsch La Scalas!

those knobs are either L-pads, or maybe even fuse holders (fuse holders look like knobs).

I heard of adding fuse holders.

In any event, they will be easy to remove.

The reason these are no longer listed on craigslist is because I put money down. I'm coming back with a minivan to pick them up...couldn't say no to the price for my first Klipsch La Scalas!

Congrats and happy listening!

1. Great score! Many folks have looked for years to find some intact LaScalas in that price range--and nearly all of them are still looking.

2. Please post some photos for us all to see since the listing is gone.

3. LaScalas are truly great speakers--identical midrange and tweeter to the Klipschorn.

4. The conventional wisdom is to just listen to them as they are and then you can start playing from there. A cool feature of the Heritage crossovers is that they are like a breadboard--easy to modify, easy to return to stock.

5. The non-consecutive numbers are of no consequence for birch speakers since the veneers are not matched in pairs on those cabinets--only the cabinets with fancy veneers like walnut, oak, etc. The only thing that is relevant is that the numbers are close, which they are--so you know the drivers are all of the same generation.

6. Have fun and welcome to the looney bin!

Best in horns,

Triceratops