New to Klipsch and HAPPY!

Tim.B

I recently "lost" one of my (Front) Celestion 7000's (Hybrid Ribbon/Cone) speakers. I think I bought them in 1989. I really enjoyed the sound for the last decade and a half, but life moves on.

I narrowed down my choices to B&W 804s and the Klipsch RF-83's. The B&W's were VERY smooth but seemed restrained to me. Long story short, I bought the RF-83's!

I have them in a 5.0 configuration with the RC-10 as center (obvious mismatch but space in cabinet drove the decision) driven by a Sony 7100ES integrated amp. I have a Velodyne ULD-18 but do not run it in the apartment setting that I'm currently in. <?xml:namespace prefix = o />

My music tastes in 2-Channel are Jazz, Blues, Female vocals, Classic Rock, Musical Theater and some Classical. My HT tastes run to BIG action/adventure and quality drama with some live music concert material. All this is about 60/40% 2-Channel Music to HT.

I had the RF-83's about 7" from the wall but found the bass too prominent. I've moved them to 11" and the mix is much nicer. Having a cathedral ceiling in my upstairs apartment seems to provide good sound even with the large size of the 83's given my small space.

I'm really enjoying the 'forward' sound of the 83's and the highs are just brilliant! The sound stage is massive and depth extends nicely from in front of the speaker line to the wall and beyond it seems. I'm actually surprised that the 83's produce such nice bass for my HT viewing without any need for the Velodyne, although I am considerate of my downstairs neighbors. String bass for acoustic jazz is terrific with cymbal imaging just great!

I have to say that I'm very pleased with my first exposure to Klipsch.

Tim

Tim, welcome to the forum, lots of info here from folks with years of experience. My first Klipsch purchase was the RF-35 and associated surround hardware, one generation earlier than your RF-83s. From your description you are happy with your choice.

Klipsch is hosting a get together at their corporate headquarters in Indianapolis in a couple weeks and if you could make it I'm sure you will have a great time and meet many of the forum members. This gathering has been alternating between the Indy site (engineering and corporate) and the Hope Arkansas site (fabrication of the speakers made in USA) for several years, and this year it's in Indy. Affectionately refered to as "the Pilgrimmage" in posts here on the forum. Dates are Friday and Saturday, June 22 and 23, with a mixer on Friday night then tours at the Klipsch facility on Saturday. Check the posts and if you're interested I'm sure you would enjoy!

Cool! About a month or two ago I got to audition the 83's for about half an hour. It's a shame I didn't have room for them. I loved the way they sounded with movies but the material that really blew me away was when they played some material from The Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD. The hairs on my arm actually stood up.

Um this may sound stupid but how is the RC 10? I need a Center Channel and that is the only one I have room for.

Also I noticed you listen to Jazz. My wife loves Nora Jones sound and I want to find her something in that style but I have no idea what to look for.

Hi EM3.

re: RC10 - I too have a size restriction. I actually find it quite respectable with the 83's. It does the job with the dialog, which for me is its main role. It's not noticable when playing, which tells me the "voicing" works with the 83's. Would I have chosen a larger model if given the chance? Sure, but it works fine.

re: NorahJ - I MAY have to blame you now, as I'm probably gonna go buy one of her CDs and get hooked. I know her reputation and she might be an artist for me to explore.

I've been a traditional fan of Dinah, Ella, Sarah, Etta, Carmen, Billie, etc. The following links are fun sites to see associated/influences/like artists. They kind of indicate that Diana Krall would be close for a taste.

http://www.musicplasma.com/

http://www.music-map.com/norah+jones.html

Regard,

Tim

Written while jammin' to Susannah McCorkle's 'from broken hearts to blue skies'