Why do my Heresys sound better than my LaScalas?

Old78s

Actually the composite horns are better in that the composite material reduces ringing. But then so does screwing the horn tight to the motroboard. I have HII's and La Scala's and I do not notice your phenoenon so I have a tough time imagining it. As for the bass response in the La Scala if one can't hear bass either one of two things are likely the cause. The woofer or its associated network circuitry are damged/worn out or the linstener is deaf. LS produce a very solid bass within their range.

• Moderators

We have never owned LaScalas, but we did "babysit" a pair for Colter for awhile until pick up could be arranged.

I can tell you...the LaScalas we had here did not sound "cold", nor did they have a "shrill edge" at higher frequencies. I was impressed...and they were ugly Industrial LaScalas...I almost kept them[;)], but I really like Colter....so what does that tell you coming from a woman. [;)]

As far as advice on how to fix the problem you are having....I will leave that to those with more experience on this forum.

Ugly industrial LaScalas? I've never thought of them as being ugly. Infact I think they are quite pretty.

They were so "ugly" I wanted to keep them....compared to the LaScala IIs I saw in Hope those Industrial LaScalas weren't that "pretty", but....I'll say this again....Michael's lucky...cuz I almost kept them.[;)]

I installed a set of Bob Crites AA crossovers last night, and it made all the difference in the world! Now I would say my LaScalas unambiguously surpass the Heresys.

I did an A/B test with the old AL crossovers versus the new AA crossovers, and the new Crites crossovers definitely clean up the sound. A certain muddiness has been removed from the mid-range, and harshness in the high range is now gone. The sound is very sweet and is perfect for my tube amp and old records.

The main advantage of the LaScalas over the Heresys, in my opinion, is the "room-filling" quality of the music, even at lower volumes. For whatever reason, it is much easier to get a dimensional quality to the sound throughout most of the room with the LaScalas than with the Heresys. The LaScalas look great too - mine have dark wood grain with grills.

Thanks all for your opinions and advice.

Bob

I installed a set of Bob Crites AA crossovers last night, and it made all the difference in the world! Now I would say my LaScalas unambiguously surpass the Heresys.

The main advantage of the LaScalas over the Heresys, in my opinion, is the "room-filling" quality of the music, even at lower volumes. For whatever reason, it is much easier to get a dimensional quality to the sound throughout most of the room with the LaScalas than with the Heresys. The LaScalas look great too - mine have dark wood grain with grills.

You need big speakers to get big sound. Glad to hear your Scalas are making you happy.

My shoe is on the other foot. I just added a pair of Heresy IIs to my Scalas. The pair of Heresies have a much bigger sound than the two pairs of Paradigm Atoms they replaced, as well as matching up much better with the Scalas, both in sound and sensitivity.

Good to see you back, Peter! How's the weather in Rimouski? That was a 7.1 system in the living room, with those little Paradigms for surround and rear surround. Yesterday I disconnected them and hooked up the Heresy IIs, so now it's a 5.1 system.

It's funny that it's easiest to describe some Klipsch speakers' sizes in terms of home appliances. The Scalas are the size of washing machines and the Heresies are as big and heavy as medium-sized microwave ovens. Luckily my neighbour was available to help me hoist them into position (one Heresy is on top of the bookcase).

I'm just heading out to rent (again) House of Flying Daggers to check out the surround effect with the new speakers. Have you seen that movie? It involves a blind girl swordfighter, so the sound is really emphasized, including spears that whiz past your head. The Echo Game scene in the movie was written up in either Stereophile or TAS for its surround effect.

you can't tell someone what they are suppose to hear

I disagree. You can't tell someone their opinion, but ear training is most certainly a part of this hobby.

Yea but with some folks its nearly impossible to train them past the spec sheets [;)]