I LOVE MY KLIPSCH SW12 II SUB!! Newer ones are...

Bob Probert

not as well built in my opinion. Where should the phase be set on this sub? It doesn't seem to make any difference? I run a Parasound Pre/Pro AVC2500 with speaker settings on Small/THX. What Low Pass frequency should I set the sub at? Thanks guys. Wish I could find reason to upgrade that SW12 II...but alas, I cannot!!

i've heard like 80% (me included) can't hear any difference in phase at 0 or 180. if it doesn't sound tighter/fuller w/ your mains at either, I'd leave it at 0.

i guess that sub has no auto turn on/off, so I'd turn it off if you're not going to use it again for a few hours or so.

if it ain't broke, rock on smile.gif

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

The sub has three position power switch. On, Off and Auto. The Auto mode will turn the sub on and off based on the presense of audio signal. There is a delay built in so the sub doesn't turn off between songs or during quiet passages. Auto mode draws a small amount of energy, but not enough to notice and is a good way to go. If you leave home for a week or more, or will not be using the system for that amount of time, feel free to turn it off to avoid the trickle of energy consumed.

You should be able to tell a difference between 0 and 180 on phase. When it is set properly for your system, you should get bass with more leading edge impact and a bit firmer sounding. Can't hear it? Don't sweat it.

boa12,

well Bob said it didn't seem to make any difference to him.Back in '95 when I bought my SW12II I experimented with the phase switch and the only difference I could

tell, on music, was at 180 the bass (for lack

of a better way to explain) seemed to arrive

late or maybe you could say maybe not as "fast"? Anyway left the switch at 180 and

several days later, after having forgot to change setting back to 0,listened to music for a while and got the impression that the sound was somewhat confusing or maybe slightly dizzing sounding or like I had a hangover or something.Hard to explain.Anyway

changed switch back to 0 and gave up drinking

and haven't changed it since.WARNING: This is

not SCIENTIFIC evidence.Hope this helps answer your question boa.Oh yea,kidding about

the drinking part.

Keith

yea keith, i think it's what sounds best to the LISTENER - some say put it where the bass is tighter & others where there's more bass.

those are two different things.

w/ most it seems to be a real minute adjustment. some subs even have a variable phase dial. maybe that would be better. i thought u were just saying everybody should put it on 0. it bothers me that I have to invert my waves to 180 (which I know is silly), but I do get some more bass w/ a lil better edge to it. wish i could test it w/ my avia disk, but it doesn't work w/ my set-up. so i'd say put it where it seems to blend best w/ the mains for the LISTENER.

rock on! p.s., I'm really limited on my sub placement - that's my big problem frown.gif

------------------

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

rock on!

Boa12,

after re-reading my post i've decided that what I should have said is simply about the same thing you said.The SW12II does have the variable phase switch and it is difficult

to hear a sonic difference with a slight adjustment.I tried the major adjustment (0-180) and could hear a difference.That difference being, in my set-up, tight bass at

0 and el cheapo boomy bass at 180.I also hope

Bob Probert decides to upgrade his sub and sends me a private message offering to sell me his SW12II at a very reasonable price.

Whattaya think Bob?

Keith

Oh talktoKeith if only I could...I would. I just love her sooooo much!!! I really appreciate your help guys. She seems to sound a titch better at 0 Phase. Got the low pass set to 80 and that seems about right. Just out of curiosity, what do you guys run your low pass at? Speakers are all set to Small/THX as well.

i set mine @ a lil over 80hz too for music. for ht/lfe i switch out the crossover which would be like turning yours all the way to 120, unless it has a cross defeat switch.

i have my all my speaks set to large.

------------------

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

rock on!

Bob, yeah I use the adapter too.Always have.

The Klipsch literature with the sub touched on that.Mine is next to my component rack so

when I get the remote to use my set-up I just

plug it in.Got'em on KSP's with surge protection too.Good question for BobG or Trey.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, the phase of the SW 12 makes the whole difference in how it sounds with youre speakers. If it is on the wrong setting then you should not hear any bass when your main speakers are pumping at full range. Left alone to only the sub, there is no difference, make sure that your fronts are on and are set on "large" or that they will at least go down to your subs range. I have 2 sw12s and 1 sw 15. BTW, wanna sell me that sub?

• 2 weeks later...

I must have been using my spd rdng technique when answering above. The SW-12 has no auto turn on/off. I WAS thinking KSW instead of SW. I apoligize.

I leave both my SW-12's plugged in all the time and just turn them off when not in use. One is connected to an Adcom ACE-515 so it flips on with the rest of the gear.

The infinitely adjustable phase control is very subtle indeed. That is why you won't find such a control on current models. No benefit to 99.9% of users. Even the +/- phase switch is difficult for many to adjust. Lose no sleep over this bass fans. Perhaps we should take a poll. How many systems have + vs. -?

The cheater plug is needed to avoid ground loop hum. Use if your sub hums do not if it doesn't. That ground is good for safety reasons.