Cornwall pics

Cornwalled

Hello all,

I have owned a pair of 1981 cornwalls for a few months now, so I thought I'd post a few pics I had. I have them on the long wall of the room, which means that only the left speaker has access to a corner. This helps the bass alot on that side, but means it's a little weak on the right side. I have them angled into the listening position, which is a recliner that's out one and a half feet from the back wall. I

have a small room, so this was my only option.

I have the grills for both speakers, but these pics were taken at different times, when I was experimenting, trying to decide which way I liked better. I've found I prefer the sound with the grilles on actually. Sort of tames the highs a bit. The velcro must have lost it's stick for the previous owner, because he resorted to savage screws through the grilles! So, needless to say, I'm looking for some grilles for them. Either black, or I'd really like to find some of the beige ones- I believe Klipsch calls them cane. I'm also needing a replacement K-33-E since one of them doesn't have a Klipsch driver. The previous owner stuck some no-name reconed driver in there, I have no idea what it is. Has a foam surround Frown.gif. Still does well, but it starts to make a rubbing sound when turned up at a higher volume with bass.

My cat Milo loves to sit in front of the speakers. Every day when I'm listening to them, he just curls up in front of the bass port, and either goes to sleep or cleans himself. Funny how he never used to do that with the previous speakers! Guess he knows good sound when he hears it too. cwm1.gif

Sitting on top of the left speaker is an EL-84 powered stereo tube amp from a 1960's console system, making about 12-14 watts per channel. I used to use this amp with my AR3a's (mentioned in my signature) and it worked pretty well, but there was a faint hum. With the cornwalls' added efficiency, this hum is about 15-20 decibels louder! LOL. So, until I figure out what's going on with it, I won't be able to use it with the cornwalls. Any one have any ideas? I just took it to a repair shop, and he said all the caps are fine, but he didn't have a tube tester to check the tubes. So, I'm using them with a Yamaha DSP-A1000 instead, which also powers the AR3a's for surround sound.

The JVC reciever sitting on top of the right cornwall was powering my subs (two JVC tower speakers) until it kicked the bucket with a loud *CRACK* so, end of that..lol. Still looking for another amp. Thinking of replacing with a Velodyne sub instead.

I've also removed all the equipment from the tops of the speakers (just isn't right setting stuff on top of them like that).

Well, hope you like my modest system. I figure it's not too bad since I'm only 20 years old Smile.gif. If money allows in the future I'd love to add some Heresys for front center, and the back, although I don't know where I'd put a front center since the computer's in the middle. The cornwalls are *very* impressive with the computer! They offer a very large, and impacting sound which is great for games with special effects like explosions, gunfire, flying guts, etc, lol. Heard many speakers, listened to all kinds of music, but I have to say I love these speakers. Just turn the lights out, put on some Winter Solstice, or maybe some Pink Floyd, and just let yourself go...

Well enough of my babbling..lol Have a great Christmas everyone, and hope you get some boxes from Hope, Arkansas! LOL. Feel free to e-mail me with any comments or ideas. Thanks guys!

Jon

markvi82@hotmail.com

------------------

countach@ptd.net

1981 Cornwall I's

Yamaha DSP-A1000 integrated amp

Acoustic Research AR3A's for Pro-Logic rears

(Music only setup)

Marantz CD Player

Yamaha Turntable with Stanton EE Cartridge

Hello again,

OOPS! Forgot to include the pics! here they are!

Jon

------------------

countach@ptd.net

1981 Cornwall I's

Yamaha DSP-A1000 integrated amp

Acoustic Research AR3A's for Pro-Logic rears

(Music only setup)

Marantz CD Player

Yamaha Turntable with Stanton EE Cartridge

i love tube amps Smile.gif

very nice... gonna make a guess that the speakers were off right... otherwise, poor kitty!

i envy you...cwm32.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

Good start,Klipsch,Yamaha and Marantz.

Yes reconed drivers dont have the same sound,and may add mechanical noises if the reconing was not done with care.

Just dont abuse the Cornwalls too much,if you dont push the gain to high you should be fine.

Nice system

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Cornwalled, Milo is waiting for the mouse to come out of the port.

K33E's come up on ebay with some regularity (as you probably know). There's a pair on right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1312018446

Damaged cones, high shipping costs, but seller may deal on shipping.

Say hi to Milo! fini

here, kitty, kitty!

since you don't say the age of the tubes, I would certainly try new ones, the top of the Cornwalls is a good place for nice looking paving tiles to weight them down, but it is not a good place for the tube amps, the amps should go on a platform just as solid as the ones for CD players or turntables, they are probably worth working with, should be a very sweet set-up (at age 20 yet!) ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!