New Klipsch Purchase...Need Suggestions

Youthman

• Moderators

My wife and I are building our first home after 10 years of marriage
and 4 kids later. I have been a long time fan of Klipsch but have
never owned them personally.

My current system is:

Onkyo TX-DS555 (5.1 Dolby Digital Receiver)
Polk RT-800 Front Floorstanding
Polk CS-300 Center
Polk F/X 500 Rears
Velodyne CT-100 Sub

My
system is about 7 years old and has served me well but I have never
been really satisfied with the dialogue from the center channel. I am
wanting to take it up a notch and have looked into purchasing a Klipsch
setup.

We found a floorplan that we like and I have made
modifications to it. I am interested in adding a Theatre Room to the
back side of the house. You can see the layout below. The dotted line
shows that I want to add about 1-2 feet to the length of the left rooms
(shown by dotted lines). With the original size of the back bedroom
being 11' and the pool bath being 12' plus the 3' between the two, that
would make the length around 25 - 26'.

I'm interested in purchasing the following setup for the Theater Room used primarily for movies but I love music too:

• RF-82 Front

• RC-62 Center

• RS-52 Surrounds

• RW-12d Subwoofer (I probably will use my Velodyne Sub for now to help stay within budget.)

Budget for speakers & receiver: Around $3000.00

Here's where I need your suggestions.

Based on the layout and dimensions of the house, what dimensions would
you recommend for the theater room? Ceiling does not have to be 10'.
I'm thinking of having two rows of 3 leather theater chairs with back
row elevated.

2. I looked into replacing my Onkyo Receiver
with a Yamaha RX-V1700 but it is $1200.00. Many forum members have
suggested getting a $500.00 receiver. Should I upgrade my receiver or
is it even necessary until I go to a 7.1 setup. Still works great but
is an older receiver.

3. Would the Klipsch system that I
mentioned above be adequate for that room size? Before I thought about
adding a dedicated theater room, I was going to use the RB-61's for
front speakers in a custom entertainment system. With the theater
room, I think I would rather have the RF-62's.

4. Any Do's or Don'ts that I should know when designing a custom theater room?

Working with a $3000.00 budget, I know that I might have to use some of
my existing system and slowly purchase the speakers as others have
mentioned in the forums. What would you keep from my current system
and what would your replace?

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.

Michael

Theater Layout

Michael,

Personally, I'd pony up the $200 to get the RF-82s or RF-7s (on ebay Direct from Klipsch) if they still have them. 

The 7s are still around out there. If you go this way, the RC-64 or RC-7 for center channel should work well I think. 

Surrounds can go either way, an RS-xx or RF-xx, opinion seems split on this among forumers, depending on aesthetics, 

space and of course WAF! Just a few quick thoughts on my way out the door.

peace, mitch

I agree with JDB, get the RF 7's for $999.00 on ebay ( or even a pair of RF 5's for your budget), the color might be a no no for you though.

If it is, I would go with  the RF 82 and look into the RC 64 (I got mine for $ 540 brand new B stock) initialy, then  may be a pair of RS 42 and to finish up with the Sub upgrade.
keep in mind that the RF 7's need clean power, I suggest that you check Outlaw and Emotiva for a separte system ( processor/amp), you should be able to find something in your price range.

Currently if you live in the KY, or Southern Ohio area, or even near an Entertainment Solutions I would check it out. They are having a pretty Huge Sale on Klipsch Speakers, recently I purchased a pair of RF-63s, and an RC-62 for $1300 total. As far as receivers go I have a Haraman Kardon AVR645 I got for $600 from JR.com. I think the three combined sound amazing and with the addition of some RS-52s for rear surrounds your only adding another $600 or so. However, I am fairly new to this whole deal so maybe it would be better if you take the advice of the posts above mine.

• Moderators

But I am looking to sell my Denon 3805 Reciever soon. Looking to get around $750 if I can.

Thanks but I just found the Yamaha 2600 on sale at Tweeter.com for $788.00. They have marked it down from $1300.00. That's a huge drop in price.

Michael,

Personally, I'd pony up the $200 to get the RF-82s or RF-7s (on ebay Direct from Klipsch) if they still have them.
The 7s are still around out there. If you go this way, the RC-64 or RC-7 for center channel should work well I think.
Surrounds can go either way, an RS-xx or RF-xx, opinion seems split on this among forumers, depending on aesthetics,
space and of course WAF! Just a few quick thoughts on my way out the door.

peace, mitch

Thx Mitch. The RF-82's look sweet and I'm sure their bottom end is fantastic. I haven't had a chance to demo them yet. I went 2 weeks ago to demo Klipsch for the first time in about 6 years. I wanted to hear the RB-61 bookshelves because I was originally going to have everything in the Family Room, but now have decided to build a separate theater room. As far as WAF, I can have anything I want since it will not be in the living room. That was the original reason why I was going with the bookshelves...but now I am looking at floorstanding for the fronts. For the demo, he brought the RB-62's in from another room, the RC-64 was already hooked up with the RS-42's and the RT-12. That sub was a bad mommajamma. [H]

Currently if you live in the KY, or Southern Ohio
area, or even near an Entertainment Solutions I would check it out.
They are having a pretty Huge Sale on Klipsch Speakers, recently I
purchased a pair of RF-63s, and an RC-62 for $1300 total. As far as
receivers go I have a Haraman Kardon AVR645 I got for $600 from JR.com.
I think the three combined sound amazing and with the addition of some
RS-52s for rear surrounds your only adding another $600 or so. However,
I am fairly new to this whole deal so maybe it would be better if you
take the advice of the posts above mine.

Actually, I live in Florida between Tampa and Orlando.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Anyone have any suggestions on room dimension with the layout that I have? I might want to reduce the 25' about 5' and use it as storage and a place to put the components. Not sure yet. Still trying to figure out how best to set it up and what equipment to use.

• Moderators

But I am looking to sell my Denon 3805 Reciever soon. Looking to get around $750 if I can.

Thanks but I just found the Yamaha 2600 on sale at Tweeter.com for $788.00. They have marked it down from $1300.00. That's a huge drop in price.

Michael,

Personally, I'd pony up the $200 to get the RF-82s or RF-7s (on ebay Direct from Klipsch) if they still have them.
The 7s are still around out there. If you go this way, the RC-64 or RC-7 for center channel should work well I think.
Surrounds can go either way, an RS-xx or RF-xx, opinion seems split on this among forumers, depending on aesthetics,
space and of course WAF! Just a few quick thoughts on my way out the door.

peace, mitch

Thx Mitch. The RF-82's look sweet and I'm sure their bottom end is fantastic. I haven't had a chance to demo them yet. I went 2 weeks ago to demo Klipsch for the first time in about 6 years. I wanted to hear the RB-61 bookshelves because I was originally going to have everything in the Family Room, but now have decided to build a separate theater room. As far as WAF, I can have anything I want since it will not be in the living room. That was the original reason why I was going with the bookshelves...but now I am looking at floorstanding for the fronts. For the demo, he brought the RB-62's in from another room, the RC-64 was already hooked up with the RS-42's and the RT-12. That sub was a bad mommajamma. [H]

Currently if you live in the KY, or Southern Ohio
area, or even near an Entertainment Solutions I would check it out.
They are having a pretty Huge Sale on Klipsch Speakers, recently I
purchased a pair of RF-63s, and an RC-62 for $1300 total. As far as
receivers go I have a Haraman Kardon AVR645 I got for $600 from JR.com.
I think the three combined sound amazing and with the addition of some
RS-52s for rear surrounds your only adding another $600 or so. However,
I am fairly new to this whole deal so maybe it would be better if you
take the advice of the posts above mine.

Actually, I live in Florida between Tampa and Orlando.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Anyone have any suggestions on room dimension with the layout that I have? I might want to reduce the 25' about 5' and use it as storage and a place to put the components. Not sure yet. Still trying to figure out how best to set it up and what equipment to use.

If you're going to have rear surrounds you should use direct radiating, like the RB-61, rather than RS-52s like Watson recommended. They are cheaper as well.

As for a receiver upgrade I would wait a bit since most of the manufacturers will be releasing new models soon. These models will incorporate HDMI 1.3, have built in Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS HD decoders. Even if you're not interested in the new models their release will push the price down on their predecessors.

About your room. It's a good size and really great because you have high ceilings to play with. Are you building this room from scratch? If so are you considering soundproofing? If you are there are plenty of resources around. With 10ft ceilings you could build a room with in a room for the ultimate in sound isolation.

If you're going to have rear surrounds you should use direct radiating, like the RB-61, rather than RS-52s like Watson recommended. They are cheaper as well.

As for a receiver upgrade I would wait a bit since most of the manufacturers will be releasing new models soon. These models will incorporate HDMI 1.3, have built in Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS HD decoders. Even if you're not interested in the new models their release will push the price down on their predecessors.

About your room. It's a good size and really great because you have high ceilings to play with. Are you building this room from scratch? If so are you considering soundproofing? If you are there are plenty of resources around. With 10ft ceilings you could build a room with in a room for the ultimate in sound isolation.

I dont want to High Jack this thread but I am curious as to what the difference is between a direct radiating and the WDST surround speakers in terms of sound quality? Like I said in my post I am relatively new to all of this.

Michael,

Just curious about what display/TV will you using? Knowing that might help in advising on your propsed storage/built-in entertainment wall. What type of flooring have you considered? I'm guessing the room will basiclly be drywall walls & ceiiling? 

As MatrixD suggtested, I'd definitely put sound-proofing along, at least, the HT/Bedroom interior wall 

& any outside walls that might be near or become being near any neighbor's house. 

Cheaper to do it right from the jump then having to hear whiny neighbors later!

peace, mitch

My

system is about 7 years old and has served me well but I have never

been really satisfied with the dialogue from the center channel. I am

wanting to take it up a notch and have looked into purchasing a Klipsch

setup.

Based on the layout and dimensions of the house, what dimensions would

you recommend for the theater room? Ceiling does not have to be 10'.

I'm thinking of having two rows of 3 leather theater chairs with back

row elevated.

2. I looked into replacing my Onkyo Receiver

with a Yamaha RX-V1700 but it is $1200.00. Many forum members have

suggested getting a $500.00 receiver. Should I upgrade my receiver or

is it even necessary until I go to a 7.1 setup. Still works great but

is an older receiver.

3. Would the Klipsch system that I

mentioned above be adequate for that room size? Before I thought about

adding a dedicated theater room, I was going to use the RB-61's for

front speakers in a custom entertainment system. With the theater

room, I think I would rather have the RF-62's.

4. Any Do's or Don'ts that I should know when designing a custom theater room?

Working with a $3000.00 budget, I know that I might have to use some of

my existing system and slowly purchase the speakers as others have

mentioned in the forums. What would you keep from my current system

and what would your replace?

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.

Michael

I'd like to congratulate you on your decision to switch to Klipsch.........because you wont be disappointed!!

I would however like to add that your current center channel dialog issues are quite possibly tied to room acoustic issues(room reflections). As you build your new HT room, you'll definitely want to research acoustic treatments for your new HT.............. because no HT is complete without!! Even with the most simple of treatment (bass traps in corners, broadband absorption at first reflection points) they will make a dramatic improvement to the sound reproduction inside any sound room. It's impossible to put into words how different a system can sound inside a treated sound room!!

With that said, and taking into account your $3,000 budget................. I'd recommend something like what I have because your stated budget matches perfectly for what you're asking.....RF-82 fronts, RC-62 center, and whatever you want for surrounds. I feel these speakers are in the sweet spot for price/performance ratio. Dont get me wrong because the RF-63/83's and RC64 are excellent speakers.....but they cost A LOT more. (probably too much for your listed budget) For only a little more $$$ than the RF62s..... the 82's are a significant step up. To go up further, you'll have to pay a whole lot more!!!!

You can pick up two RF82's, a RC-62, and two surround speakers of your choice for about $1700 after tax at a local dealer. (I paid just <$1700 for two RF82s, two RF52s, and a RC62....well within your budget) Unless there is a specific reason you want bookshelf speakers, I recommend the towers. 1.... they're more speaker..... & 2.....by the time you buy sturdy speaker stands for the bookshelf speakers, they'll cost nearly as much or more $$$ anyway!!!!

Since your receiver is 5.1(and not old Pro-Logic).... I recommend you hang onto it.... if only for now. You can always upgrade that later!!!!! You'll have enough money leftover to get very capable subwoofer!! You'll have about $1,300 leftover, which will be enough for something along the lines of a SVS PB12/plus2 to provide that wow factor you're looking for during your favorite action movie.... you really need a capable subwoofer, and that sub will do just that!! It will deliver lots of WOW!!!!

The key is DONT neglect the room itself, because the room itself plays a very large role in how good your system will sound.... that's my contribution to the "Do's and Don'ts"..... dont neglect the room itself!!

• Moderators

You guys have been giving me some great advice and I really appreciate it.

Buckeye,looks like you have talked me into going with the RF-82's instead of the RF-62's. The RC-64 is sweet but the RC-62 is more in line with my budget. Your advice on keeping my receiver for now is probably a good idea. It is a great receiver but older.

I will wire the room for 7.1 but might only go 5.1 in the beginning and purchase the additional speakers at a later time.

Matrix, you suggest using the RB-61's for rears instead of the RS-52's. When I move to 7.1 setup, should I purchase the RS-52's for the side surrounds or use direct speakers for them as well? My current rears (Polk F/X500) are dipole/bipole and I really liked them. With the indirect reflecting sounds, it seemed to envelope the room with rear sound quite well.

I am building the room from scratch. That's why I want to get any suggestions I can from others that know much more than I do about this. I'm pretty tech savy but I'm not a true audiophile by any means. I just want it to sound as good as it can within a modest budget.

JDB, I have not decided on the display/TV yet. It will either be projection or LCD. Part of me is leaning towards LCD but I can get a much larger image with projection. So many decisions. Good thing that I have 6 months to plan.

I will have some form of sound proofing. I will talk with the builder to see what he suggests since they have put in home theaters before.

I uploaded some photos the other day of my current speakers http://www.soleproductions.com/polk. I had them put in the classified ads but now that I think about it, I will probably hold onto my current equipment since I may use portions of it for the family room and some of it temporarily for the theater room. I might use my current bipole/dipole for the side surrounds.

Many recommend dipole/bipole speakers for side surrounds and quite a few people like them. I like direct radiating speakers as they give more of a feel for location. Another side benefit is they are less expensive. THX recommends dipole/bipole for L/R surrounds in a 7.1 layout, but really it all boils down to personal preference. Most people say they prefer monopole for music (5/7 channel stereo or DVD-A/SACD). The crowd is split however for movies. If you are able to demo a pair of monopole and a pair of dipole in your house that would be the best test.

Michael,

Fresh off the Pilgrimage .... hearing some unbelievable products and great technical advice/opinions, etc. let me toss out a few thoughts.

First off, seeing that the right side of your layout (kitchen, nook, family room) have 12' ceilings have you considered 12' ceilings for the HT room? 

I don't know if that woulod be a substantial cost consideration or not ... could be since I noticed that the middle left bedroom is only an 8' as 

opposed to the 10' in the front & rear left side bedrooms. I bring this up b'cuz you say that at least the 3rd row of seating will be raised and one

of the panelists @ the Town Hall meeting, Gavin(?) from Auralex Acoustics ( 

that they demo'd @ the Pilgrimage and those little buggers kicked some serious @$$!!!!! B4 Saturday I'd probly have NEVER considered in-wall 

speakers but these things with their 15 degree pivoting horns might make me seriously re-consider in-walls for rear/side speakers or for an

inconspicuous system in a place where floorstanmder/bookshelf/mini speakers might not be appropriate/feasible.

Just my 2 abes worth.

peace, mitch

• Moderators

JDB,

I have not really considered 12' ceilings for the theater room. I figured it would be just more room to fill sound with. The 8' ceiling in the middle room is a typo. The kids bedrooms will all be 10' while the master bedroom will be 12'.

I like you were, am still not fond of inwalls. I have yet to hear some that have caused me to change my mind. Since it is a theater room, I have no problem showing them off. In fact, I might leave the grill covers off once it is setup since they look so sweet without grills.