Foam or Fiberglass in my corner 'absorbers?"

RFP

What would be nice is a debate based upon fact and established validity (and AMPLE references starting with Davis & Patronis, both referred to and even posted in chapter form here!!!) and not simply the usually cult of personality debate which has ample precedence here....

To be fair though Mark....I think many here are unfamiliar with the sources and are willing to learn, but perhaps not to the technical extent of those sources. There has gotta be a middle ground where the concepts are understood well enough to choose an acoustical solution....of course, I would just direct all of them to this thread first:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/796165.aspx

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We will. And no math (well, those who want it can refer to it in references)

"I think many here are unfamiliar with the sources and are willing to
learn, but perhaps not to the technical extent of those sources. There
has gotta be a middle ground where the concepts are understood well
enough to choose an acoustical solution..."
Doc

Doc, you are indeed correct, and I mean no disrespect to those who do not seek a graduate degree in acoustics! Most folks here are simply trying to get a practical grasp of this topic with an eye, not to thoroughly understand the physics, but to simply derive a practical and effective solution.

After we try to present a bit more thorough take for those who desire a more fundamental understanding, we will try to present a more simplified approach for this. And hopefully most will have a good enough grasp to avoid falling victim to the myriad websites selling solutions in a box.

My negative reference is oriented toward those who continue to denigrate anything I say that they do not understand - and yet who refuse to refer to any of the sources I have mentioned or presented. Their continued 'Humean' dismissal of anything they do not understand (while then trying to 'debate'(sic) it in terms of frequency response!!!) gets old very quickly.

One wonders why this characteristic seems to correlate directly with some of the same folks who belong to the Luddite 'tube cult' who show up with their pitch forks and torches anytime someone has the audacity to propose that both tube and SS amps can sound good. And if you can't figure out to what I am referring here, I think its probably safe to assume that you are not being referenced...or you just may be one of the oblivious folks who like to boldly display their ignorance elsewhere. ;-))

Pertinent questions are fine and actively encouraged. Questions begging the fundamental topic are appropriate elsewhere. And challenges reflective of a personality disorder that simply obviate a fundamental ignorance of the subject are simply noise. ;-))

I have no interest in measurement software. I am however very interested in you coming out and fixing my room for free.:) Seriously, the software is almost worthless without the skillsets to read, interpret, and apply the data. Hey chief, that stuff's complex.

Get me out to your place sometime and I'd be willing to pretend to be an expert with measurement equipment [;)] I know what the graphs are showing, sorta know what they should look like, and have no experience choosing treatments to play with. But hey, it's fun spending someone else's money [;)]

Exactly what the Klipsch room does not. The Klipsch room is an extremely dry room that will sound very small and claustrophobic.

Don't forget nauseating. Heck, I would have preffered to listen in an anechoic chamber...

O.K., went through the thread from hell over in Architectural and managed to digest some of it. Read through the Small Room Acoustics document, and while ignoring the math managed to learn something. I then stumbled into the below document over at the RPG site, which was very helpful.

http://www.rpginc.com/news/library/TechBullDiffCritList.pdf

• 1 month later...

Rob,

Have you completed the absorbers? I really need to get over and check them out!

David

Funny you should ask As a matter of fact, they are officially finished as of today! This has been a long (and tedious) project, and Im not all that sure that they will make much of a difference; even so, I am really proud of them (and even more proud of the fact that I was able to engineer the darned things. And, oh, by the way I still say the worst job at Klipsch just has to be the poor soul who has to put on the grille cloth.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I am especially pleased with the way the end caps turned out. They are made from ½ birch plywood wrapped with ¾ lacewood this gives a nice overhang to cover where the grille cloth is wrapped around the frames.

This whole project probably cost around $250 it took one 4 X 8 sheet of ½ birch plywood, some nice straight poplar, and a sack-full of dowels.

Many photos follow

The finished product(s)

Posted Image

Closer shot right side

Posted Image

Ready to hang

Posted Image

End caps ready to go on

Posted Image

Putting on the ^$@$#^%& grille cloth

Posted Image

Posted Image