Used RF-7 system or new RF-62/52 system

scatsob

• Moderators

I've been watching this thread because I am comparing the RF-7 with the RF-82's. All this talk about 2.3 ohms is making me wonder something. I currently have an Onkyo TX-DS555 5.1 Receiver with 70 watts/channel. I am looking at upgrading to the Yamaha RX-V1700. I will more than likely have to use my Onkyo Receiver for awhile till I save up for the Yamaha. Will the Onkyo or the Yamaha be able to handle the RF-7's?

Cj,

Actually, my home theater/system sounds quite nice to me (with my RF-7's set to large). I would not argue that they could sound better (maybe MUCH better) with a better amp, as I agreed with Bill; I just did not think that it is right to imply that a reciever would shut down, thus making them unusable, as I primarily listen to my RF-7s set to large and shut my subs off when I want to listen to music and have never experienced that phenomenon. Listening levels are subjective, as it depends on the type of music and what is considered "loud". I blast Jazz, Hip-Hop, Pop and Electronic music quite loudly, and I do not hear distortion from my reciever.

As far as tubes, I did not realize that they were so drastically different watt per watt from solid state. I guess this bodes another question to both you and to Bill: The RF-7s are rated as 8ohm speakers, but you would run them on the 4 ohm taps--if the RF-7s are so difficult to drive, why wouldnt Klipsch rate them as a 4ohm average instead of an 8 ohm?

I've been watching this thread because I am comparing the RF-7 with the RF-82's. All this talk about 2.3 ohms is making me wonder something. I currently have an Onkyo TX-DS555 5.1 Receiver with 70 watts/channel. I am looking at upgrading to the Yamaha RX-V1700. I will more than likely have to use my Onkyo Receiver for awhile till I save up for the Yamaha. Will the Onkyo or the Yamaha be able to handle the RF-7's?

I think you would see better results adding a 2 channel amp, use your Onkyo as a preamp for your mains. This would take some strain off the Onkyo/Yamaha while it drives your surrounds.

• Moderators

I would be using the Onkyo primarily in a 5.1 setup and eventually move to a 7.1 configuration. I understand how an amp would benefit, but I'm primarily interested in will the Onkyo work for now and wil the Yammie work when I upgrade to it?

I'm primarily interested in will the Onkyo work for now and wil the Yammie work when I upgrade to it?

Yes. I'm not trying to be snippy with you but I don't see going from avr to avr as much of an upgrade, particularly with rf-7's. Money better spent buying a separate amp. I ran 7's til I moved to heritage. btw, I think working with the youth is very admirable.

• Moderators

I don't take you as being snippy at all. I need all the advice I can get. That's why I am here. Learning from those that know more about it than I do. I just have to work within a budget for now.

I have been a youth pastor for 9 years. Still loving it.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I probably need to just start a new thread. Thought it would be a quick yes/no answer. [;)]

Hello All,

Well, I picked up the system, $1500 for all 5 speakers....and the RS-7s were new in the box! I have also been rethinking my reciever option and am now looking at a used HK AVR 635. Is this enough amp for this setup? And will I have the impedance problem with the RF-7's?

The RF-7s might get by on the Onkyo, provided they are set to small with a crossover at 100 Hz and the master volume control is never set too high. Bass frequencies use the most power. Hence, maximum use of the subwoofer reduces the load on the amp.

I finally have taken BobG's recommedation to set my crossover at 50 Hz, but I have the RF-7s on a huge amp that cannot be clipped without destroying my eardrums first. When you get a better amp, you can try 80 Hz instead of 100 Hz.

Bill

Hello All,

Well, I picked up the system, $1500 for all 5 speakers....and the RS-7s were new in the box! I have also been rethinking my reciever option and am now looking at a used HK AVR 635. Is this enough amp for this setup? And will I have the impedance problem with the RF-7's?

The 635 may not be the optimum but it will sound great at all but the loudest volumes.I had several HK's in my 2nd room,the 635 is an outstanding unit and never had any issues at very loud volume when I had to use it as a temp between set ups on 7's.That said,more power later would be nice,but you won't be "roughing it" till then.

To maybe solve most problems here with an easy solution .. do what I did. :-)

I had my denon 3805 driving everything,2 rf7s, rc7, 2 rs35s, 2 rf35s, and rc-35 in surround back as an 8.1 system.

added a 2 channel amp for the rf-7s. 200 watts per channel. now my rf-7s are pristine, and the load from the denon can better handle everything else.

suggestion, get yourself an emotiva RPA-1. It's $630 brand new for a 200 watt 2 channel amp. OR 2 monoblocks from outlaw audio for $650 combined.

i've heard nothing but praise for this unit, if i didn't find my mom's old luxman, i would get this myself.

i'm selling my 3805 to upgrade as well if you have any interest of starting there

To maybe solve most problems here with an easy solution .. do what I did. :-)

I had my denon 3805 driving everything,2 rf7s, rc7, 2 rs35s, 2 rf35s, and rc-35 in surround back as an 8.1 system.

added a 2 channel amp for the rf-7s. 200 watts per channel. now my rf-7s are pristine, and the load from the denon can better handle everything else.

suggestion, get yourself an emotiva RPA-1. It's $630 brand new for a 200 watt 2 channel amp. OR 2 monoblocks from outlaw audio for $650 combined.

i've heard nothing but praise for this unit, if i didn't find my mom's old luxman, i would get this myself.

i'm selling my 3805 to upgrade as well if you have any interest of starting there

A two channel amp will work, provided the gain structure is similar to the receiver. A three channel amp is a bit better, since the front three get the same exact treatment. It does make a difference.

Bill

I have always found these figures to be a little misleading, no offense to anyone here. My Yamaha receiver (cheap $300.00) has no problem driving the RF-7's and has NEVER shut down even when playing movies at levels no one can stand but me (I live in a brownstone with no neighbors). No signs of amplifier clipping, nothing. And my reciever is only 75 watts per channel rated (not even all channels driven). In addition, there are many RF-7 lovers out there using tubes that are, what, 5 watts per channel, 10 watts per channel?

Now, I undertstand that RF-7s will sing with more power, but to say that lower end receivers are incapable of driving them In My Humbe Opinion is an error, proven by my own experiences to date.

Just a few thoughts.

hk3480 here uhhh 250 dollars and 120 rms watts

Cj,

Actually, my home theater/system sounds quite nice to me (with my RF-7's set to large). I would not argue that they could sound better (maybe MUCH better) with a better amp, as I agreed with Bill; I just did not think that it is right to imply that a reciever would shut down, thus making them unusable, as I primarily listen to my RF-7s set to large and shut my subs off when I want to listen to music and have never experienced that phenomenon. Listening levels are subjective, as it depends on the type of music and what is considered "loud". I blast Jazz, Hip-Hop, Pop and Electronic music quite loudly, and I do not hear distortion from my reciever.

As far as tubes, I did not realize that they were so drastically different watt per watt from solid state. I guess this bodes another question to both you and to Bill: The RF-7s are rated as 8ohm speakers, but you would run them on the 4 ohm taps--if the RF-7s are so difficult to drive, why wouldnt Klipsch rate them as a 4ohm average instead of an 8 ohm?

it would deter would be buyers