Reference series guys

Mikeboyblue................Central Hudson, or IBM, work at either of those?

Haha! Those are about the only two places to work in Poughkeepsie eh? Yes, I work at IBM.

Small world indeed! In '62 I was born at Vassar Hospital, and my dad's
folks lived off Route 55 high on a hill near the Apple Valley Shopping
Plaza, Klondike Inn, and Eberhard Builders for many years (my grandmom
also worked at the hospital and at the cafe at Lucky Platts back in the
late '60s). In '78 they retired to Florida, so I haven't been up to
Poughkeepsie since then...wonder how much it's changed after all these
years? Still remember Big Ben, the IBM plant, the annual Dutchess
County Fair, and always loved the Sunday drives along the Taconic
State Parkway (good times as a kid).

I do believe I know where the Apple Valley Shipping Plaza is/was. No clue about Klondike or Eberhard Builders. But yes sir, the IBM plat is still there and I have been to the past two county fairs (the 4H milkshakes are what everyone raves about -- I think they are ok). The Taconic State Parkway, is nuts if you so from Poughkeepsie south with all the traffic and crazy speeding people. But if you go north to the park and up to Hudson and toward Albany it is very nice!

As far as the Reference Series goes, I'm still a newbie after recently purchasing a cherry pair of RB-75s from member Ben Clarke, who bought them from Mark Deneen who had bought them from member capo72 (Jeremy). My dad's beloved '79 Cornwalls have been in all our household's multiple systems like forever (and now modded up the whazzoo in my brother's system), so I'm familiar with Heritage from that of family and of friends who also own CWs and Khorns. Since the RB-75s are the only Reference I've ever heard, I really can't comment on the entire series as a whole. But from what these TOTL bookshelf monitors can do, I'm very impressed with their non-fatiguing sonic qualities. IMO they're as refined as the Heritage, but with a slightly different sound...I can't really explain it...but they're sweet. I'm equally as thrilled with these RB-75s as I still am with the Cornwalls (and the CWs sound better still with the 2-way Altec 511B mods, like they're smaller versions of the Jubilees (heh)! Maybe not, but close).

So it seems like the reference series is a decent speaker but aimed more toward a home theater (literally a which screen and all). I a cannot remember exactly but when I was part of my university's radio station (from where I acquired my Chorus IIs), I think we purchased some RB-75 bookshelf speakers in black. If so, they are the nicest bookshelf speaker I have heart. I absolutely LOVE the Chorus IIs. I am just worried I wont be able to find parts for them as I need the passive subs and a diaphragm and have not clue what to do if the crossovers go.

I need to find a retailer who stocks Klipsch in the Poughkeepsie area so I can listen to other types without dropping a ton of money. I still really want their 12 in sub with 1000w amp (drool).

People who never heard Heritage
!........................................................Sorry just
kidding, and/or personal choice.

What's the
deal with the current line of "Heritage" speakers? What differentiates
them from the others and do they stack up to the true "Heritage"
speakers?

Thanks for the info guys (and gals if any).

Mike

What's the

deal with the current line of "Heritage" speakers? What differentiates

them from the others and do they stack up to the true "Heritage"

speakers?

Thanks for the info guys (and gals if any).

Mike

The deal is they are every bit as good or better than the older versions. Cornwall III has some changes that lower cabinet resonances if I remember correctly. Newer crossover designs to better tune the drivers to the cabs. Stuff like that. The new LaScala II uses a thicker material for the cabinet, making it more solid and providing a perceived or real improvement in the bass. The Heresy II has improved tonal balance as well.

There's more to them than the few things I have mentioned, but they "stack up" very well, if not surpass the originals.

I have older stuff, but would buy the new if I could afford it. Having heard newer Klipschhorns and the Jubilees, I would get them in an instant if I had the money. Alas, I don't.

Bruce

• Moderators

What are the reference series good for?

People who never heard Heritage !........................................................Sorry just kidding, and/or personal choice.[6]

Hey now! who said the RF-83 sounded the best at Indy?

I did [:|], and I never told you that because that's what you bought. The reason I said that was the room with the Cornwalls in was ? something was wrong, I don't know what but is was not good. IMO

Put it this way when I put the Cornwall lll's in my living room ( nothing special about the room ) and ran it with a HK 930 and a $25 CD player and it sounded better than that. No acoustical treatments or special placement, point them forward or toe them in a little it doesnt matter they sound better than what I heard in that room.

I don't know what was going on, later someone the bass was turned off of the CW's for some reason. I don't know if that was true or if it was something else was off, but to me it was more than just the bass ? Someone that was in a different group said that when they went in that room it sounded very good, something could have just been set wrong when we were in there ?

I did think the Rf 83 setup sounded good, also I took a walk outside and heard some " special " little speakers out there by the parking lot that sounded supriseingly good ! I was also very surprised by the in wall speakers , it was the first time I had heard in walls. I had always thought the in wall or in ceiling mounted speakers were a last resort, I was wrong !

But after it's all said and done, no matter how the new speakers are shaped or designed, I still like the Heritage best, by far, until I hear something to change my mind ! And I haven't yet !...................................I consider Roy D's project Heritage, in sound and style .

As always IMO ! [:|]

...dtel,

The room that had the Cornwall IIIs did sound less than it should have...later we messed with the settings (set at THX I believe Troy said) and it sounded MUCH better...I kind of get what you are saying...for me...listening to my RB-5s (granted a generation or so Reference Series ago) they sound WONDERFUL...until I listen to Heresys/Quartets (Klipschorns) right after...there seems to be...for my ears...something added to the sound...like a "midsection"...just my take on Reference V Heritage...

Bill

Where my son lives there is a path right to IBM, and he is like 3 miles from where he works. Were you in a Frat House while at Clarkson? So far, he's real happy down there............anything beats living with the Old Man.............

Sounds like he lives in Hudson Harbor. That is a nice place to live if you work at IBM because you can walk to work every day and save big bucks on gas. No, I wasn't in a frat while at Clarkson. Kept myself too busy with other works and audio type hobbies.

Hudson Harbor it is...........I guess I've been beating around the bush, just wondered if perhaps you might have known him, He was president of Omega something, not sure........Poughkeepise has a large amount of Clarkson grads working there.............Good Schools bring good jobs, guess the money was worth it in the end. Had to talk him into getting his Masters now, and not waiting..........for once he listened...Oh yeah, his name is Jeff Doane, he would have been a junior the year you graduated...........well anyway, Best of Luck to you......buy Heritage.......

Hudson Harbor it is...........I guess I've been beating around the bush, just wondered if perhaps you might have known him, He was president of Omega something, not sure........Poughkeepise has a large amount of Clarkson grads working there.............Good Schools bring good jobs, guess the money was worth it in the end. Had to talk him into getting his Masters now, and not waiting..........for once he listened...Oh yeah, his name is Jeff Doane, he would have been a junior the year you graduated...........well anyway, Best of Luck to you......buy Heritage.......

Unfortunately the name doesn't ring a bell but yes, the money is worth it (or at least I hope so because I still have plenty to pay back)!