Yamaha RX-V2700 & RF83 system--good match?

don2dusk

I am considering the Yamaha RX-V2700 for a new receiver. I am also planning on purchasing the Klipsch RF-83 complete set. Will the RX-V2700 pair quite nicely with the RF-83 series? Currently, I have a Kenwood KRV9030 that is about 14 years old, so it's time for it to retire. Of course I have a little more in my budget than $750 for a receiver.

Another question I have, I got on ebay to check out pricing for the RX-V2700, and saw pricing as low as $1050, as opposed to the msrp on the Yamaha website for the unit listed at $1699. The customer rating for the seller on ebay was rated very high, but I assume the OEM warranty does not apply. Am I right in this assumption? Has anyone had any pleasant experiences with ebay power sellers for HT electronics? I have been on some websites (Klipsch included) that warn of purchasing their products from unauthorized dealers, as they can be cheap knockoffs or stolen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Don2dusk

To answer your first question...anything will be better than your high distortion Kenwood. Some people say that Yamaha can be bright but I say that would change once you auto-calibrate your speakers. The RX-V2700 is a very impressive receiver and compares to any of the other manufacturers models in that price range. I'm looking to upgrade in the near future but am going to hold off until HDMI 1.3 receivers become available.

When buying off Ebay or anywhere else online you have to consider what would happen if my product needed service. Typically you would need to ship your receiver back to the seller on Ebay at your expense or go through the manufacturer directly. The beneift of buying from a local store is that you can bring it back in and sometimes they will even give you a loaner or replace the unit outright. The chances that your unit will need service is a gamble you would have to take. Some manufacturers will only honor waranty claims if their products were purchased from an authorized dealer. You can find authorized dealers on Ebay though. One thing to check is whether or not the item is 'B' stock, or refurbished. A lot of the time refurbished items carry a lesser waranty. B Stock items that were messed up in production could have other things wrong with them that weren't caught in QA. They are usually OK but would stand a greater chance of post sale failure than a normal item.

Your local retailer probably can't match the prices shown on Ebay but you can usually talk them down a bit. The smaller retailers especially.

should be a good match. I suggest calling Yamaha and checking which, if any, online retailers are authorized (therefore carrying full warranty). My guess is that, like Klipsch, authorized online retailers only carry discontinued goods.

For those bemoaning the lack of good local stereo shops to audition Klipsch speakers- shop locally only please. Internet and big box stores have been the death of many a fine audio emporium.

Shop locally whenever possible please, our industry depends on it.

Michael

To answer your first question...anything will be better than your high distortion Kenwood. Some people say that Yamaha can be bright but I say that would change once you auto-calibrate your speakers. The RX-V2700 is a very impressive receiver and compares to any of the other manufacturers models in that price range. I'm looking to upgrade in the near future but am going to hold off until HDMI 1.3 receivers become available.

When buying off Ebay or anywhere else online you have to consider what would happen if my product needed service. Typically you would need to ship your receiver back to the seller on Ebay at your expense or go through the manufacturer directly. The beneift of buying from a local store is that you can bring it back in and sometimes they will even give you a loaner or replace the unit outright. The chances that your unit will need service is a gamble you would have to take. Some manufacturers will only honor waranty claims if their products were purchased from an authorized dealer. You can find authorized dealers on Ebay though. One thing to check is whether or not the item is 'B' stock, or refurbished. A lot of the time refurbished items carry a lesser waranty. B Stock items that were messed up in production could have other things wrong with them that weren't caught in QA. They are usually OK but would stand a greater chance of post sale failure than a normal item.

Your local retailer probably can't match the prices shown on Ebay but you can usually talk them down a bit. The smaller retailers especially.

Oops hit the post button

Matrix gave a good advise there. I would definitely follow what he says, you usually get what you pay for.

The Rvx 2700 should work well with the RF 83's, check vanns.com they have it for $1599 and those guys are pretty good to deal with, but for that price have consider going separate?

Outlaw might have something in your price range

Thanks guys for the input I am so glad that I have joined in as a member of such an elite group of home theater system enthusiasts. As I am aiming to get the most bang for the buck on upgrading my HT system, it is wonderful to get some real honest first hand advice prior to my final purchasing decisions. Are any of you musicians as well?

Regards,

Don2dusk

I've been using a Yamaha RX-V1300 6:1 receiver for about 6 years with Klipsch RF3s, RC3, and RS3s for about 3 years. I've been quite happy with the sound, performance and build of the Yamaha as it gets a fair bit of use. My system is used for HT a fair bit but I also use it for the dts audio CDs and DVDs. 'Strange Days' by the Doors is awesome. For overall versatility, it is a combo hard to beat.

ditto to Mikey on buying from the local dealer/boutique. When I bought my Yamaha from a local dealer, they were competitive with a quote from a box store plus the advantages of dealing with a real person, warranties, and etc.

Have fun and keep us posted. Slainte. Hamish

Okay, I can get all of the gear here locally. However, can I leverage my local shop to lower their price, at minimum, the sales tax cost? I know for sure that locally I will be assured of all the full OEM warranties. I can already see that objection answered by the sales guy, first thing out of his mouth will be "yeah, but we have the oem warranty, and a sealed box direct from the mfr. You'd be taking a chance with those guys on the internet!" As a cost-conscious consumer, any ideas on countering that answer?

You guys are great! Thanks!

Don2dusk

Sure you can, I used to do that with BB.

I would research the internet to find a approved dealer and use there price to bargain.  I would  do the total of what it would cost me to get it on the net vs what it would be in the store  and go from there.
Most of the  time it did work.
I have bought some stuff from Vanns.com before and must say I was impressed with there service, since they are dealer approved the local store does not have much left to argue back with you.
I know they are going to say but what about the service etc..., ok have try to anything serviced under warranty in this days?
Got some news for you Warranty and Garanty are two words which have been so abused that \they don't know there meanning anymore.
However, I would like to point out that I would not push it as far with a privately owned store, you got to keep the honnest people in buisiness. Since most of the electronic stores have closed around here ( Ultimate Electronics, Tweeter, comp USA just to name a few) choices is limited and the few players left know it so I have no problem going after BB or CC with such a pratice.

By RF83 system, I mean RF83 for mains L/R, RC64 center, RS62 surrounds L/R. I have seen a lot of posts that say the 83s are fairly bassy. My living room is somewhat small--14' X 16'. I don't plan on living here forever, so I want to wisely choose a system that can fill up a larger room quite nicely. As such, with the RF83s being bassy, is there any reason I need to get the RT12D sub right now?

• 2 weeks later...

By RF83 system, I mean RF83 for mains L/R, RC64 center, RS62 surrounds L/R. I have seen a lot of posts that say the 83s are fairly bassy. My living room is somewhat small--14' X 16'. I don't plan on living here forever, so I want to wisely choose a system that can fill up a larger room quite nicely. As such, with the RF83s being bassy, is there any reason I need to get the RT12D sub right now?

I have just a rsw12 on my rf-83 stereo and it helps

I would say the same thing, the rsw 12 works great with the rf 83

If I play with them on, they are rather seemless meaning I do not know when the rsw 12 is on or not... but if they are on and you turn it off you find something missing. That is what a subwoofer should be, non intrusive but you can immediately tell when you turn it off that something is missing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I too have been leaning towards the Yamaha RX-V2700. 1 month ago, it was $1700.00. I stopped by Best Buy last week and it is down to $1200.00. I would see if you could get your local rep to match the BB price if nothing else. I was told that by Sept, I would see the price of the current Yammie receivers drop in price due to the new Yammie's coming out. Guess they are already beginning to lower their prices.

• Moderators

I found a few reviews for the two models

2600 Reviews and another review

2700 Reviews

One thing that I noticed was that the 2700 does not have THX Select 2. I'm assuming that this means that the 2700 is not THX Certified. Is that a correct assumption?

According to this article, THX Select is THX Certification is for "components that are certified to perform in a mid-sized home theater environment of up to 2,000 cubic feet." Since the 2700 is not THX Select 2 certified, does this mean that it is not equipped for 2000 square foot HT's? Here is an article regarding THX Select 2 on the THX website.

• 2 months later...

This model is VERY similar to the THX 2600 model.Yamaha chose to not pay THX in order to place more features into this unit and keep the price down. The RX-V2700 would definitely pass THX standards. (The 2600 did)

Still a FANTASTIC receiver[Y][:D]

Take care

Mike