My Sony receiver can't drive speakers!

kenratboy

Hi!

I got a Sony STR-DE675 receiver today and it is WUSSY! It is rated at 100 watts (8 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.09% THD) and I am currently driving a pair of JBL HLS610s (6.5 2-way, 88 dB. sensitivity, 8 ohms.) I put on a CD that I know well and turned it up, and up, and finally all the way up (as in MAX volume level.) It was just barely loud; it was probably 95 decibels maximum. I checked all the settings, its on large speakers and all of that, input is all of the way up, etc. The same went for my headphones, not enough volume, even on maximum. Whats going on? If it was putting out 100 watts peak, it should blow my JBLs to the moon. I am really disappointed; I can still return it to Crutchfield.com. It was $300; will a $300 or $400 stereo receiver give me the power I need? What should I do? I want something that will give me a lot of power for the future. I am going to be upgrading to some Klipsch bookshelf speakers eventually. I know they are very sensitive and the receiver could drive them, but I am not going to buy my speakers around a receiver that I can still return to the store. Please give me some advice, I really need some guidance. I dont have the cash for separates and I dont feel comfortable buying gear off e-bay. Will a stereo receiver suffice?

Thanks for the help,

Kenneth.

This almost sounds like some sort of government control feature. "We sre going to protect you from yourself and not allow you to go above 'X' db's."

Running the numers this amp has a maximum output of 107 or 108 db's. But I bet you already knew that.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany (Cornell Hotwired)

McIntosh C33 Preamp

McIntosh MVP-841 CD/DVD

Rotel RB-1080 Amp

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300mk II

Monster Video 2 (DVD to TV)

Monster Power HTS-5000

MIT Terminator 2 Bi-Wire Speaker cables

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Vibrapods

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

I'm speaking way out of my league here since I've never owned a modern HT receiver... but..... is the amp set-up to somehow be driving other speakers as well and thus robbing power to your main speakers? Is it doing some sort of funky signal processing that is robbing the power? May want to investigate with different amp settings.

Mace

KRB,

I really think you should check all control settings.

There may be a small chance there is a a defect in the amp. Certainly power is not the issue.

I think you were very wise to check with headphones.

Have you tried the FM as a source? At least that will eliminate source wiring as the problem.

Gil

Ok, your speakers are not that sensitive but still.

Set the amp in direct mode (you probably did that already)

Has your CD player any level control??

Does the sony have an impedance selector??

Set it to 8Ohms. If this is the problem, definitly return it if you can. impedance selectors (on most receivers)just let you know that the amp can't deliver enough power for some speakers.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3 tFTP

Rear: RF-3 tFTP

Center: RC-3 tFTP

I'm not much help, but I had a pair of Boston HD5's once.

I used a older Yamaha M-50 or something power amp.

Those bookshelf's only got so loud, no matter

how much you crank up the amp, then the amp would

clip through them.

I eventually swapped 'em for a pair of Sansui Sp-X9's,

A 5-way with metal 12 ohm horns.

(Mid-eighties speakers.)

I think they are 98Db sensitivity, made a lot

of difference in the loud factor, over those bookshelfs.

I also have a pair of Sansui SP-2000's circa'70 from

Japan.

These things are relics, but they have their own sound to them though.

THANX!

PROBLEM FIXED, THANKS!!!

As William F. Gil McDermott recommended, I tried FM radio as my source. I had a CD playing; the receivers volume was at about half, and not loud. Then, I switched to FM and, well, LOUD wouldnt describe it. After looking at my connections for a minuet, I realized that my CD out put cable was plugged into MY TAPE LOOP OUTPUT! YES, the OUTPUT jacks on the tape loop! I switched them to CD IN, turned the CD back on and all was well. The volume a third of the way up was equal to all the way up before the switch. I am really embarrassed; I have my equipment on a shelf that is hard to work on, so I couldnt see as well. Problem solved, I am going to keep it and I am very happy with it. I was about ready to drive from Reno, Nevada to San Francisco (250 miles) to buy a NAD C370. Now that the Sony works, I will probably hold out and get some separates in a few years. Again, I love the Klipsch forum; you are all so helpful and nice. Thanks again!!!

Kenneth.

Don't be too chagrinned. As the years go by I've racked up a lot of errors myself.

One thing that happens is that you can get a back feed through an input. That is what made the mis-plugging work in the first place and was a bit of a red herring.

There are typically multiple inputs to an amp: e.g. CD, Aux, VCR. Then there is some sort of switch to send that to the pre amp section. However, that point of the output of the switch is where the tape out takes its signal. The tape recorder gets its signal in accordance to what the switch selects as an input to the system overall, and just before the selected input is sent to the pre amp.

There is some sort of resistive attenuation circuit between the switch output and the tape jack so that the tape recorder does not present too much of a load. You'd think there could be some sort of buffer amplifier, but not in this case.

Therefore, you can visualize that if you put a signal into the tape output jack, it will find its way into the pre amp input point, with some attenuation, just as if it was a normal input.

I'm glad it worked out. I don't believe Sony gear is better or worse than other stuff as a rule. I do purchase from Sony in many cases, except for speakers, naturally.

Gil