Members Weekly Music Recommendation-July 9

thebes

So Saturday night I'm sitting around watching some of the Live Earth concert and being basically unimpressed. I was tired and to lazy to walk over and run the broadcast through my Klipsch so I was just listening with the pathetic little speakers built into the tv. Turning the system on probably would have helped the music a lot but I wasn't really into concert-venue type stuff at the moment. I figured I'd click once through the channels before calling it a night and reading a book.

Let's face it, tv is so very much the "vast wasteland" so cuttingly described by an egghead back in the 1950's. But every now and then a jem is revealed as it was when I had almost given up and stumbled over a broadcast featuring:

Erin McKeown

She's a youngster but I've since found out she has released 6 albums since 1999 with a mixture of pop, swing, jazz and folk. Besides her playing and electric guitar and piano, she was accompanied only by a drummer. The lyrics were great, her voice was superb the drummer was in a groove. Her voice and music is reminiscent of the Squirrel Nut Zippers, old time music with updated sensibilities. I particularly liked her song (not sure if it's original to her) "Blackbirds".

So it's an odd recommendation this week to both myself and you to go out and pick up a cd and give it a whirl. I know I need to hear what she's got going on my own system.

So what do you have to share this week?

THE TRANSISTORS
Electronic Space Age Jazz Pop Band

miss_venus_cover.jpgswinging_italy_cover1.jpg

If you like Esquivel or Combustible Edison than give The Transistors a shot. Great use of the theremin.

http://www.thetransistors.com/homepage.htm

http://www.myspace.com/transistors

It's always necessary to play "inside a movement" against "stereotypes"
as Guy Debord, the Situationist father, was saying : << the world has
already been filmed. It's time to transform it >>

The Transistors were/are one of the recurrent elements that hide behind the
technical inventions, the art-déco, the aesthetics of the objects
of memorabilia. For us, Transistors is the innovating and polyvalent "trait"
behind a project idea. So, Transistors means music and technology applied
to the Art world.

Since 1995/1996, the project started from an idea of Maurizio "ErMan" Mansueti.
Subsequently Luca "Luke" Cirillo and Miss Ari will become part of the ensamble.
In 1996, the project started with a demo-tape "Swinging Italy". It contained
"Viva Esquivel!" (a track dedicated to "El Maestro" Esquivel) and "You never
told me" (cover of Piero Piccioni "Fumo di Londra" OST). Combustible Edison,
Br. Cleve, Byron Werner and other fan of Esquivel liked our project. During
1998, we decided to add new tracks and to "re-edit" some tracks from the
original tape and Byron Werner (who coined the term Space Age Bachelor Pad
Music) wrote the liner notes for us. So today this work is for collectors
of space age bachelor pad music (S.A.B.P.M.)! After that time, The Transistors
were defined by Cool & Strange Music Magazine as the Italian answer
to Combustible Edison for the same attitude to cocktail/lounge, cinematic
attitude and research.

With Right Tempo/Temposphere label, as a solid and credible follow
up to the success earned by their first two single releases 'Mission On
Venus', The Transistors deliver their debut album "Atelier": a new wave
in urban pop music. The Spyderotic Sound. The CD "Atelier" is a
swinging, intriguing and fascinating collection of tracks destined to
establish The Transistors as the true leader band of the internationally
acclaimed Spyderotic Sound. Sophisticated melodies, intuitive arrangements,
irresistible rhythm patterns and technology, along with Miss Ari's addictive
vocals meet the great influences left by the greatest soundtracks masters.
Beware, this is not a silly and superficial revival album of the 60's
and the 70's; to the contrary "Atelier" is an album projected
for future with ingredients from the past and the attitude of today. Spyderotic
Sound that's what it is. The New sound of a generation of cats searching
new directions in music. The New sound rich of suggestions, melodies and
rhythm entering the real space age.

Today, with Funky Juice record label, the Transistors are recording
the new album. A new wave following the roots of space age, with a new
charming sound. A research in the electronic sound art blending the cinematica
and exotica forms with a new electronic touch, where moog sound meets the
aesthetics and the geography of bodies, hearts and architectural designs.

Kid Koala-Your Mom's Favorite DJ CD(Ninja Tune Records 2006) Another great album from Kid Koala. All you adventurous record collector nerds(like me) would like this. Not your typical dj guy but one with a fantastic sense of humor. All 3 of his albums are absolutely FILLED with tons of cool "record collector" samples or samples about playing records. I have no idea where he gets the stuff but it right up my alley. This album is a little more rock oriented than his other 2 and I'm down with that. He was the opening act for one of Radiohead's tours a few years ago. HERE is a link to his myspace page with some music and videos. Check out the Excerpt from YMFDJ for a taste. All of his albums are made exclusively from other people's records.

post-7729-13819338921874_thumb.jpg

Back to the only thread I enjoy, so much for equipment talk, time to use it.....The Allman Brothers have been around forever, made many albums, sold alot of concert tickets, not one of my favorites, but must own their music none the less. I happen to like electric guitars, and when you have two capable guitar players, I like that alot........on to the album

THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND : EAT A PEACH.........................CD...................1972........

I happen to like LIVE Allmans the best, never really cared for their studio work, although, half of this disc is studio, and 3 songs only Dickie plays guitar. I think this is one of those throw together some material, put out product because Duane is gone deals, but the material is real good, better than expected. This album, to me anyway, pushes Dicky upfront of the stage with Duane, where he rightfully belongs, the guy can play. Mountain Jam on the CD plays straight through, no flipping LP, I like that too, just some great solo's on that old Donovan song.A couple more songs recorded live at the Fillmore, then back to some more studio cuts, with the big standout, Blue Sky.....To me, this is where Dicky takes his place upfront , what a solo the lad pulls off, is that dual lead team of Duane and Dicky something or what? This is a fine Allman Brothers Album, a must have for any Rock Collection, and I'm glad I own it..............One Way Out !!!!!!!!

Back to the only thread I enjoy, so much for equipment talk, time to use it.....The Allman Brothers have been around forever, made many albums, sold alot of concert tickets, not one of my favorites, but must own their music none the less. I happen to like electric guitars, and when you have two capable guitar players, I like that alot........on to the album

THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND : EAT A PEACH.........................CD...................1972........

I happen to like LIVE Allmans the best, never really cared for their studio work, although, half of this disc is studio, and 3 songs only Dickie plays guitar. I think this is one of those throw together some material, put out product because Duane is gone deals, but the material is real good, better than expected. This album, to me anyway, pushes Dicky upfront of the stage with Duane, where he rightfully belongs, the guy can play. Mountain Jam on the CD plays straight through, no flipping LP, I like that too, just some great solo's on that old Donovan song.A couple more songs recorded live at the Fillmore, then back to some more studio cuts, with the big standout, Blue Sky.....To me, this is where Dicky takes his place upfront , what a solo the lad pulls off, is that dual lead team of Duane and Dicky something or what? This is a fine Allman Brothers Album, a must have for any Rock Collection, and I'm glad I own it..............One Way Out !!!!!!!!

I agree this is one of my favorite threads. Still not sure why so few post here. I tried poking them with a pointed stick. At least we have a place for music fans to post : )

It's more macho to argue about amps, and speakers, and who has the best stereo, who's is bigger............without the Music, I don't see the point to owning a stereo...........amps with no power, speakers with no sound...........I guess I'm just getting too old for this stuff.......HUH ?????

It's more macho to argue about amps, and speakers, and who has the best stereo, who's is bigger............without the Music, I don't see the point to owning a stereo...........amps with no power, speakers with no sound...........I guess I'm just getting too old for this stuff.......HUH ?????

Perhaps we are missing something? I'm going to download some sweep tones......

Music is the Magic........not the equipment.........Without the Music, what's the point ? The Greatest stereo in the World is useless without electricity, yet one can make music without it.......Remember how great that little transitor radio use to sound? The first time you heard HI-FI? Your first encounter with Stereo?............What happened along the way, we got spoiled with bigger, and better equipment, and one thing remained constant, THE MUSIC, it's all about the Music.........Just my point of view........

Wow its thurs. already. Monday we got hit with a huge electrical storm and wiped out phone, modem just about every thing at least the power came up 3 hours later. This gave me plenty of tme for the tunes.

John Kay and Steppenwolf

"Born To Be Wild A Retrospective" - 1991

A two album set with more tracks never played over the airways. A wonderful dislay of talent for sure.

On the humor side, a reason I've got tubes, to warm my butt up on a cold winter mourning (just kidin).

Enjoy!