McIntosh pieces

tom b. 57

I have been conversing with a gentleman who has a MA-6100 that one channel is either distorted or is out. He says he doesn't quite remember since it has been on a shelf unused for over 5 years. He says he remembers using it as a preamp because it had no issues when used for just a pre. He also has a MC-2105 that goes into protect mode when trying to power on. He said it worked fine when he put it on the shelf over 5 years ago. He also has a MR-77 tuner that he says works flawlessly. The MR-77 and the MA-6100 have wood cases. He wants $1300.00 for the whole shabang. I inquired about the 2105 by itself and he said he would probably want $450.00 for it. This seems a bit high to me, since it will need repair. What do you guys think?

Tom

"My question would be, is this the Mac combo I want?"

good point......

The only piece I have real interest in is the MC-2105, but, I don't know much about this amp and I don't know if it is worth spending $450.00 or so on something that needs repair. I wouldn't have a clue to what the problem could be. I am just worried that I could spend a bunch of money and then not be happy with it. Just because it is a McIntosh doesn't gaurantee it is what I'm after. I know it is 105w. per channel, but that is about the extent of my knowledge. I have read a few reviews, but, I am not always convinced by reviews from owners. I think they can be biased sometimes. I guess what I'm looking for is opinions from past owners of this model and how they think it stacked up against similar amps from other manufacturers and maybe a comparison to other McIntosh amps that I could pair with my C-26.

Tom

Tom,

I would definitely want eyes on the equipment before making any offers...all of the broken gear in the owner's possession raises suspicion in itself. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I've got a MC2205, MC2105 and MC250 and find the 2105 to be a very nice sounding amp...very similar to the tube-like sound of the MC 250. The 2105 also comes from the same model years as the C26 and has similar styling. If the cosmetics are good, I think $375-$400 is fair considering it will probably take $200 to get the amp back to spec. I've got the C26/MC2105 combo and it is a match made in Heaven. I don't think you would have any regrets. Good luck!

Gary

Tom,

I would definitely want eyes on the equipment before making any offers...all of the broken gear in the owner's possession raises suspicion in itself. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I've got a MC2205, MC2105 and MC250 and find the 2105 to be a very nice sounding amp...very similar to the tube-like sound of the MC 250. The 2105 also comes from the same model years as the C26 and has similar styling. If the cosmetics are good, I think $375-$400 is fair considering it will probably take $200 to get the amp back to spec. I've got the C26/MC2105 combo and it is a match made in Heaven. I don't think you would have any regrets. Good luck!

Gary

Gary,

thanks for the info. The seller used to own a repair shop and closed it down several years ago. He has many other items besides the McIntosh stuff. I am tempted to see if he would allow me to stop by and check out all his inventory, but, I don't know him. We have only talked on the phone. I purchased a Sansui 9090DB from a friend of his and his friend gave me his phone number. I guess it couldn't hurt to ask.

Tom

I think you would be happy with it paired to your C26.

Panel glass is still available from Mac if it needs one.

Bubbling always around the headphone jack. Easy to change, I think the last panel I bought was around $125?

Also check for rust around the fuse holder, very common on this model.

post-14158-13819339053264_thumb.jpg

Well, I have had more contact with the seller and he is willing to work with me on the MC-2105. I don't think I can get him below $300.00 and maybe looking at $350.00. Is that a reasonable price for a nonworking unit? I have seen pictures and it looks to be in great shape. I will not make any decisions until I go look at it in person though. I have checked with Terry DeWick and he said "A full audio path rebuild runs $150." With shipping and the possibility of added charges, do you think I should jump on this or wait for another to come by? I have seen the price on these vary from $500.00 to $1200.00. Not sure which way to go here.

Tom

Tom,

If you can get it for $350 plus Terry's repair ($150 + 50 for shipping, both ways) you will have one heck of an amplifier for $550! Go for it. I doubt if you will regret it. Plus, you can easily sell a working MC-2105 for far more than $550 that has been gone over by Terry on E-bay, this spring.

I took a drive today to go look at the MC-2105. The thing was sitting on a carpeted cart in all it's glory, WOW! It is beautiful. There is just the slightest bit of bubbling around the headphone jack, which I believe is qiute common, and two small bubbles in the upper right hand corner. Those are the only blemishes I can find on the glass, and for that matter, anywhere else on the thing. All of the chrome is in great shape no pitting or rusting anywhere on the chassis, that I can see. The gold lettering is all intact and the rear of the amp is in superb shape as well. You ave probably already figured out that I have purchased this amp, just by the description I have given. Now all that is left is to get it somewhere to get serviced. I was thinking about shipping it to Terry DeWick, but, I am very nervous about the possibility of it getting banged up during the process. I think I will check with a local authorized McIntosh service rep. and see what kind of advice they come up with. I paid $350.00. Hopefully it won't cost too much to get it up and running to spec.

Tom

• Moderators

You did great! Mac may still sell the correct box for safe shipping or Audio Classics? If not plan on double boxing it with plenty of NEW bubble wrap.

If you use those Styrofoam peanuts the amp will work its way to a corner and will be a nice parts amp after your claim.

McIntosh does indeed still make shipping boxes for the 2105, call parts. They make them to order and it will take a few weeks for it to arrive, and it will run 40 to 60 bucks. I cannot stress this enough, especially with a 2105, it will be the best $60 you ever spent in your life, There are pictures on this forum, of members who received 2105's with front's smashed, etc. If you don't want to wait 3 weeks to get the box, call Audio Classics, they make the same box and will have it to you in a week, it just won't have McIntosh on the side of it.

I am not really thinking too good here, I can ask the forum member I sold my 2105 to if he wants to sell his box, to you or if he would consider loaning you his box if you would like. Just let me know and I will be happy to put you in touch.

Travis

"I can ask the forum member I sold my 2105 to if he wants to sell his box, to you or if he would consider loaning you his box if you would like. Just let me know and I will be happy to put you in touch.

Travis"

Travis,

thank you for the kind offer. I think I will try to find a good reputable service tech, with experience repairing McIntosh, locally. If I am unable to find someone I am comfortable with, I will most certainly take you up on the offer. I am hoping there is someone in the Seattle-Tacoma area with the qualifications I am looking for.

Thank's Again, Tom

Make sure the tech really does know what he is doing. It may cost you a few more dollars to ship it to someone who can fix it properly, in the long run it is a very good investment. I realize the $60 keep adding up, but unless you plan on listening to it, and then selling it, it is worth the investment. McIntosh make some very good amps and this is a good amps. They make better, but not at the price you paid. A MC-30 will run you $1600 or so for a pair and the 275's are in the high 2's to low 3's, and I don't mean hundreds.

Or you could try this...........

Service Locator

If your McIntosh equipment requires repair or servicing, we're happy to help. Our Authorized Service Agencies around the world meet strict criteria for knowledge and experience to properly service McIntosh components.

If no agency is nearby, you may return your component to our factory for in-house service. Contact sbutt@mcintoshlabs.com or phone 607-723-3515 / 800-538-6576 and we'll provide you with more information on your unit as well as information about properly labeling and packaging your precious investment.