Tube CD Player-Heart CD6000 OSE LE

I have been wondering about the talk I hear on these Tubed CD players for quite a while...some of you like the Jolida JD-100 (Duke, Meagain, etc.), some the Eastern Electric Minimax (LarryC) but a couple of you mentioned the Heart CD6000 OSE LE (Dee, fini)...I was VERY close to scoring an Eastern Electric MiniMax after talking with LarryC at the Pilgrimage...then an ad for a brand new Heart came up on the 'bay...I bid, thinking there was no way my bid would win...yup, it did...I was shocked to win a NIB Heart for less than half of one new...

It arrived today...no damage to the box, everything looks right...well...it is not new in box...I may have misread the ad but...

I am listening right now...tried it first with SS McIntosh MA6200...what is it I'm supposed to hear over the Cambridge or even an unmodded Toshiba 3950???...it even sounds a bit bright...but this is on SS gear and I bought it to compliment my Tube stuff on the main floor...

I hooked it up on the main floor to the BlueBerry MkI and VRDs...listened first to the "free" CD that was left in the machine...kd lang-shadowland...very nice...different, not my usual type CD but very nice...now listening to Diana Krall-Girl in the Other Room...very sultry...perhaps THIS is what you all were talking about???

Now, to be fair...it wasn't a lightning strike and I am still a bit peeved about it NOT being New In Box but I did get the free kd lang CD and it came stuffed with two USN-CEP 7308s marked Amperex with gold pins...

perhaps I won't complain to the seller...

Bill

...tell me about it...got caught up in the fever of another thread (6 pages now? ;) )...and placed the minimum bid...I thought, no way will he go for this as his BIN was $150.00 more...then I won...by the way...it starts out as a Marantz CD6000OSE before the Tube conversion...it is a very nice player in its own right...best news is it didn't break the bank...I need to stop thinking that my overtime is spendable cash...;)

I was hoping for a little feedback...

Bill

Bill,

I haven't heard the other CDP's to which you are comparing the Heart, but I think you are already hearing very good reference sound. Seems like I remember fini making a similar comment when he got his Heart.

"Bright" is not something that came to mind in my listening assessment. After listening for a while, it could be interesting to roll in some other tubes to see if you get a more pleasing flavor. I'm not even sure what tubes are in my Heart. I purchased it used and I have found it to be somewhat on the mellow side of the AH! But then, my reference CD is Diana Krall Live in Paris.

edit: on the issue of "not as described" if something is described as "new" that is a bummer and a deal breaker. A return for refund is appropriate. However, there have been times I've been in a similar situation that I decided the cost of shipping the item back (on me) and anticipated hassle getting a refund from someone who has already lied to me about the item, hasn't tipped the scales in favor of demanding accountability.

I went out on Ebay and saw one seller had sold three of the units all for the same price. One auction ended without a bid. If one of those was yours, I think you got a favorable price for a used unit in nearly new shape. The best I've ever seen these priced new was $600.

Did they ship in origional packaging? What kind of shape? Demo or refurb? open box type?

Hey Dee,

I tried sending you an email through the Forum but have yet to get a response from you or fini so I suspect those are out in cyberspace somewhere...

Thanks for the response...the bright comment came when hooked to SS McIntosh...once hooked to the JMA BlueBerry MkI and NOSValves VRDs...smoooooth...not a lick of brightness...listening to Diana Krall right now (newest CD)...have to give your "reference" a listen...I have it but haven't yet played it on the Heart...

as I said, I was riding the euphoria of that other thread and figured I would never win...never expecting to raise my bid...imagine my surprise...

Did you get an owner's manual from Heart???

Bill

Good score Bill,

As far as the brightness goes, I had to go to the Seimans CCAs to get the sound I liked. I found the Amperex (BBs 7308, Orange Globes, Redletters) were all bright. The Seimans really smoothed mine out. Gave me a sound I'll never trade off from CDPs. I doubt I could go back to non tube CDPs now. Break in the tubes good before you judge the sound too much. I'll guess around 30-40 hours before mine smoothed out.

Harry

Dee,

I just read your edit...it came double boxed in original...Heart box on the outside and Marantz on the inside...s'posed to be from Frank Stuppel's (importer) own estate...it did come with a pair of USN-CEP 7308s from Amperex USA with gold pins...listed on Brent Jesse's site as $350 for a pair...that listing you saw on eBay is mine...I got the champagne one...I agree and it sounds REALLY good right now so the hassle might not be worth it...the seller has been really good up to now and I don't wish to upset the applecart...especially if I got a nice Tube upgrade (and free kd lang CD [;)]) for "free."

I believe this was possibly a unit that went out for evaluation...seller sent me an email that some of these items he has for sale were reviewed samples by Dick Olsher (I see he had one for review on the "web")...

Thanks,

Bill

HarryO,

Thanks...if this WAS a reviewed sample...these Tubes should already be broken in...no brightness with Tube gear...sounds REALLY nice...still no lightning strike BUT...I am really enjoying this...sounds to my ear so far better than the Cambridge Azur 640C V1 I had in there...and that was no slouch...remember I have only been listening for a day...so no REAL review as yet...I'll give it a week or two...

Bill

An interesting test I did with my Jolida was to connect a second CDP to the Peach (I have a Peach pre). I burned 2 copies of a CD and played them simultaneously in both players. Then I just used the input selector on the Peach to A/B the players. This is a good basic way to hear the immediate differences between players.

Mark-I did the same thing!

Bill, I sent an email this morning. Like Dee, I haven't looked "under the hood" to see what tubes are in there (just as I have not done with my BBX). I guess I should get with the program and take a peek!

I had a problem initally with my Jolida......well I was the problem actually. I never gave the player a chance with the original tubes. I rolled in some unknowingly worn out Bugle Boys and had less than satisfactory results. So I got into this A/B testing kind of thing to figure out why I wasn't getting very impressive sound. Compared other players and realized I had bad tubes.

In the end once I got some good tubes in the Jolida I found the same as SilverSport. It's a fine player and has better sound than some of the solid state players out there. But it is not a huge night and day difference. It is subtle but noticeable. To me it is a more desireable sound and compliments my other tube equipment. I think there's better synergy now with the Jolida than with the s/s player I was using. I can listen to my system hours on end with absolutley no fatigue. Very smooth.

I have heard the modded tube players can get impressive. I have heard the Ah with all the upgrades (upsampler)...and that is unreal. Very impressive. My Jolida is just stock.....and although I know it could sound better I've become pretty happy with it as is.

Bill,

I didn't get an owners manual, but my unit was from a previous owner, no original box either.

Yeh, that sounds like a unit that went out for review, with nice tubes like that.

I thought the price was good, with those tubes it's really good.

If you ever have a chance to compare Dick Olshner's review of Heart and the AH! he gives the nod to Heart.