Klipsch Model H speakers.

pmsummer

Can't see the photos unless you are a member but anything that Audio Classics sells used or new is WAAAAAYYYYYYY overpriced. Good products, silly high prices. You think they would provide actual photographs on their website but they just post a likeness of a Heresy, talk about lazy.

Can't see the photos unless you are a member
but anything that Audio Classics sells used or new is WAAAAAYYYYYYY
overpriced. Good products, silly high prices. You think
they would provide actual photographs on their website but they just
post a likeness of a Heresy, talk about lazy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow, those are beautiful. Wonder what that Model # means? H-HR-12. The grill cloth is spectacular for such an old speaker. The price is $799? That's very fair for a collectible pair like this. These are pretty much going to be "one of a kind" for those that are into to vintage collectibles.

Those are pre-1962 models with the K-1000 horn, they have the really old plexi logo like my '62 Cornwalls did. These are actually a bit smaller than the Heresy we know today and will sound even more thin in the bass department. My guess would be 1961 because the '60 had a different cloth and cabinet layout like the Cornwall when it was transitioning from the Shorthorn.

From a collectable stanpoint they are very nice, but not $799 nice. Maybe $600 - $650 nice tops.

The HR for the finish I will have to ponder, the "R" is raw but the single "H" for finish type is different. I am going to guess HR stands for Hard Rock Maple judging by the light finish.

H-HR-12 is "Heresy" - "***** Raw" - 12" Woofer

Mine are #379 and #380 and were made on June 11, 1961 according to the nice guys in engineering. So that's a ballpark figure for the date.

The "HR" means, as said above, "Hard Rock Maple, Raw" i.e. sanded but unfinished. "HL" is "Hard Rock Maple Laquered" and "HO" is "Hard Rock Maple Oiled."

The whole number means "H" = Heresy "HR" Hard Rock Maple, Raw" and the "12" says it has the full 3-way system in it. A "12b" suffix would mean it had only the EV SP-12b extended range speaker, with no squawker or tweeter. $115 each that way in 1962. (Gotta love those old price lists...)

I guess I did pretty good from memory, I was at work and did not have access to some of my old price lists either. After just getting 1980 Walnut Lacquer Cornwalls in 9.5 condition locally for $510 I just can't justify the big bucks that Audio Classics is asking for these in C1 condition. I love all things vintage Klipsch as you well know though.

They would make great surrounds or centers, I should contact my friend Wayne as he has a pair of 1973 Vertical Cornwalls in the rare Hard Rock Maple finish, Klipsch painted the inner lips and back cover in a nice cream colored paint to really set them off. The craftsmanship on the older speakers is just incredible, real American pride there for sure.

I guess I did pretty good from memory, I was at work and did not have access to some of my old price lists either. After just getting 1980 Walnut Lacquer Cornwalls in 9.5 condition locally for $510 I just can't justify the big bucks that Audio Classics is asking for these in C1 condition. I love all things vintage Klipsch as you well know though.

They would make great surrounds or centers, I should contact my friend Wayne as he has a pair of 1973 Vertical Cornwalls in the rare Hard Rock Maple finish, Klipsch painted the inner lips and back cover in a nice cream colored paint to really set them off. The craftsmanship on the older speakers is just incredible, real American pride there for sure.

C1 condition? I didn't see that. I wouldn't pay 799 either. They look pristine in the pictures. But if they Audio Classics says "C", I would trust them. And I wouldn't pay that much for them.