WOW, $1000.00 with 2 hours left in auction. New Heresy ????

tuned4life

My guess is that the winner is from outside the country. The forum member that just bought my mint 1985 untouched raw birch heresy I's for 425.00 should feel pretty good. Other than not having the original boxes they are probably as nice as the 1200.00 pair.

That is sort of a head scratcher. it's pretty unusual to have a nib heresy pair. At the same time, what is their real value? as a museum piece? pristine for sure, but at an age needed to have new caps for the crossovers. The buyer would be able to score HIII's for the same price if finding a good advertised price. The buyer only has a feedback rating of 2. My guess, it's a toss up as to whether this transaction would be completed. But then, the buyer was bidding against others who wanted it just as bad.

That is sort of a head scratcher. it's pretty unusual to have a nib heresy pair. At the same time, what is their real value? as a museum piece? pristine for sure, but at an age needed to have new caps for the crossovers. The buyer would be able to score HIII's for the same price if finding a good advertised price. The buyer only has a feedback rating of 2. My guess, it's a toss up as to whether this transaction would be completed. But then, the buyer was bidding against others who wanted it just as bad.

Daddy Dee, Not being a smart a$$ here, but if they are as described, never used, why would they need new caps for the crossovers? How would you determine real value ? I think it's just EGO to make some one bid that high, you want it, but I have to have it type thing. I said before, for that money, I'd buy NEW, and you know you could get them for that price. Mine were brand new in UNopened box H2's for $800. I sometimes don't understand things I see here, and this is one of them......the whole e-bay world is confusing to me. Hell, I've got my head bleeding from scrathing it so much......

Daddy Dee, Not being a smart a$$ here, but if they are as described, never used, why would they need new caps for the crossovers? How would you determine real value ? I think it's just EGO to make some one bid that high, you want it, but I have to have it type thing. I said before, for that money, I'd buy NEW, and you know you could get them for that price. Mine were brand new in UNopened box H2's for $800. I sometimes don't understand things I see here, and this is one of them......the whole e-bay world is confusing to me. Hell, I've got my head bleeding from scrathing it so much......

OB, no offense taken, bro. I have to give my usual non tech type disclaimer as I am unable to articulate the technical issues which might be a fair expectation. Regarding caps, though, it is my understanding that these drift off spec with age regardless of use. Their tendency is to become resistive which has an impact which seriously degrades the sound. From my own experience with lascalas khorrns and heresys I have observed first hand the amazing contrast in sound from these speakers with worn out caps (perhaps better said, "old" caps) and the sound of speakers essentially restored to factory spec with new caps in the crossovers. Interesting enough, these old factory caps are seriously influenced by their environment. Bob Crites tells me that caps that have lived their lives inside a Heresy or Cornwall cab last longer than those in a Khorn or LaScala cab. Interesting, eh? At least to the easily entertained, like myself. Except for age, I wonder if it would even be possible to wear out caps which only have to perform speaker crossover duty. That's a question for the engineers and true tech types. Crossover caps don't have a very demanding job, in my very lay understanding.

On the buyer of these nib Heresy's, it's just an interesting subjective perspective on value. It's a kind of, "if it makes you happy" congrats. it wouldn't be my cup of tea to own these, would be curious to know how this floats this buyer's boat. your question about determining value is right on.A pair of NIB AND vintage Heresy speakers is extraordinarily rare item. Establishing a market value in this arena seems to be based on the price/selling history on Ebay.... not much help in a sort of a special circumstance item. I just wish it was me who was the seller.Also, wonder if the buyer is a US resident.

one question... does anyone know what the msrp would have been on these in '84?

Daddy, I never realized that caps wear out with age, see, I just learned something. I guess worth comes right back to, they are worth whatever the Buyer wants to pay for them.............All I know that in 1990 I went to buy a pair of Heresy's, had $700. cash, couldn't buy them for that on that day, ended up with KG4's for $525.a pair. No way I was going home without a set of Klipsch speakers. I'm not that good with the tech talk either, I know just enough to get myself in trouble.............thanx

one question... does anyone know what the msrp would have been on these in '84?

I bought a pair of Heresy [HOO] in early 1984 from a local stereo shop. That was many years ago obviously; but, for some reason the amount of $750 comes to mind. I was never good at keeping records & receipts--especially after that many years. Perhaps someone that keeps better records will have purchased a pair during that era and will solve this mystery. Or perhaps, Klipsch keeps track of what the MSRP is/was for their products?

Whatever I paid, it was the best speaker purchase I have ever made. They are still in mint condition and I have no intention of ever selling them. For the record, i will trade for a pair of KHorns though--any takers? I know the KHorns are big and bulky and can be a huge burden. I'm not making this offer out of selfishness--I'm really trying to help someone out--that's just what I do--help people. Ok, everyone that believes that please stand on their head. Someday, I'd like to reunite my Heresy's with its KHorn parents--my what a party that would be.

OldBuckster--Nice to hear from again. You know me a little by now--I just like to help out whenever I can. I'll take on that burden of living in a house cluttered with big speakers if that will help someone out.

The cruise was by far the very best trip of my life! I'm still paying for it financially; but worth every penny. Especially, going through a tropical cyclone--Force 11 storm--LOVED IT! I did feel bad wanting big waves and hearing stories of other people being seasick. After the second day, the seas were smooth the rest of the two weeks.

Hope you are enjoying your New York summer.