Booker T and the M.G.'s

Just read an article about Booker T and the Boys getting a Lifetime Achievement Grammy award...............WELL, IT'S ABOUT TIME....I can't believe it took so long to receive such an Award. Booker T Jones, Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn, and the late Al Jackson Jr. are truly one of America's greatest Bands. Backing performers like Mr. Otis Redding, Sam and Dave, Wilson Pickett, and many others as the STAX/Volt records House band. One of my favorites, and all living members still play today. What can I tell you about Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn, Legends in my book, God how I loved Soul Music, still do, but Rock is my main choice, but it started with these guys. I guess if you hang around long enough, they have to remember you. One must remember also, this was an Intergrated band back when intergration was taboo............So Sunday night I must watch a show I never watch, and hope he fires up his Hammond B-3,and hope Steve and Duck are there beside him, and honor us with a tune or two, or three. Hat's Off to Booker T and the M.G.'s...................[Y]

Buck.....I ordered 5 of their cds from Amazon. Sent 2 back because the recording was not that good. I have Green Onions, Up Tight, and McLemore Avenue.....all good music. Green onions was remastered in the early 90s from the original mono master tapes. Wish they would remaster all of them again using current technology.

Tar, that seems to be a common feeling, held by myself included.............the recording is awful. Hopefully that will change in the future, maybe a Box Set or something along those lines...............It's a real shame that Booker T. and the Boys don't get their due respect. Funny how the so-called English Invasion gets so much credit, when all they did was bring back American Music to America..............without the Color Factor. We had such great bands here............Booker T., The Funk Brothers, the Band over at Muscle Shoals...intergrated Bands...Pitiful, actually............

You are so right Buck......in all styles of music. The old jazz and blues masters never made the big money nor were they as appreciated as much as they would be if they were here today. Some of them just played for the love of the music....kinda reminds me of how sports use to be. Many played and toured in relative obscurity and only "made it" after they had long departed. Some like Sonny Rollins and John Lee Hooker have lived and performed long enough to enjoy the noteriety they deserve. Some would say there are musicians playing now that have'nt been "discovered" and I would agree.

• Moderators

Your right OB, its about time ! Funny you brought this up I just watched the Blues Brothers movie yesterday on sat. The movie had many of the original players in it, although they never played much in the movie the characters were there. Love that old stuff !