Finishing suggestions for Cherry Veneer on Cornwalls?

roblebo

Hi everyone- this is my first posting. I bought a pair of '72 (I believe) vertical walnut Cornwalls from a friend for $30.00 and have been enjoying them immensely. The internal components (replaced caps in crossover) and grills are fine, but the walnut veneer was beyond refinishing with lots of chips and stains. I re-veneered them yesterday in Cherry with the help of a woodworking friend (who preferred the grain over walnut) and they look beautiful. Now the hard part- how to treat/finish them? I would like to see them turn out similar to the 60's/70's audio gear I have accumulated over the last few months- you know the look! 

Does anyone have any experience with just Tung Oil on Cherry veneer? What about stains/dyes? Any other ideas? I would love to see some pictures if there are any. 

Thanks in advance,

Rob L.

As usual, your work is beautiful. I love the look of cherry. I have a project that I am doing, and am leaning toward the cherry veneer myself. Stunning in a very subdued way. Had you posted these already? NICE!

Thanks for posting those Jordan.

Bruce

Geez, those are some really, really sexy Heresy's Klipschaholik, man I love 'em! Just Beautiful.

Rob...if I remember correctly, I applied three coats of Tung Oil rubbing with 0000 Steel Wool between coats. If you have a scrap of veneer left, try some Watco Teak Oil just for s@#$% and giggles, see what you think. Gives Cherry a nice, rich tone. Teak Oil has obvious applications with Teak, Rosewood, etc., but it gives outstanding results with other woods as well. Just a thought.