Very basic technical problem.

Hoosier1

I have a new Klipsch Reference 7.1 set-up driven by the Yamaha RX-V2700 and Toshiba X-A2. On HD-DVD's, but not standard DVD's, the panel of the receiver indicates that the audio is "MPCM," regardless of the processing used in the source. For example, when watching Batman Begins, it says MPCM even though the movie is processed in Dolby Digital. On T-2 (Studio Canal import), it says MPCM even though it should be in DTS. On standard DVD's, the receiver displays whatever processing the movie uses, be it DD or DTS. What am I missing here? Any help at all would be appreciated.

First, we must verify that you are using some type of digital out of the DVD player, can either be optical or digital coax out, and plugged into the receiver. If not, your receiver is not going to get a digital signal.

Once this has been connected, install a Dolby Digital or DTS DVD in the player, wait till the menu screen appears and go to setup, make sure the DVD is selected to either DTS or Dolby Digital, then hit play. If both are available, I always select DTS, it seems to separate the signals better on DTS.

Good luck

The HD-DVD players is connected to the receiver via HDMI. On standard DVDs, it is not an issue - it decodes in the manner I select from the DVD menu. On the HD-DVD's I have, there is no menu option to select the decoder, which should mean that it simply uses the only option available (e.g., Dolby 5.1 for Batman Begins, DTS 5.1 for Terminator 2) But, the receiver reads "MPCM" rather than DD or DTS.

MPCM would be the Toshiba passing linear PCM over HDMI to your receiver (same effect as 5.1 analog in). The receiver isn't doing any decoding the HD-DVD player is. You would have to change the settings on your Toshiba to pass bitstream in order to pass dolby digital or DTS over coax or toslink.

I have a HDA2 and it doesn't automatically switch between PCM and bitstream. I'm not sure about the XA2 but the HDA2's DD & DTS decoders are not as good as my Denon's (or at least it sounds so). The XA2 has HDMI 1.3 so it could pass the raw stream over HDMI but your receiver is only 1.2a so it won't be able to decode it.

Your other option is to upgrade to a HDMI 1.3 receiver that has built in DolbyTrue and DTS-HD decoders.