F/S: 1980 Cherry Cornwalls

shepjk01

Well I plan on purchasing another pair of lascalas to redo so my newly veneered cornwalls have to go. I veneered these in ropey cherry and clear coated with wipe on poly, built custom risers, replaced the caps with sonicaps from Bob,replaced the speaker cloth, and also replaced all the internal wiring with 14 guage monster cable. The serial numbers are 24U750 and 24U755 which makes them built in 1980. I'm asking $900. Local pickup in Fort Wayne, IN as I will not ship these. Included are pics of the outside and inside of the speakers.

post-25964-13819339654882_thumb.jpg

As far as the technique I used in veneering the speakers I used a high solid contact cement. The veneer is from oak wood veneer in Michigan and it is a 22.2mil paper backed veneer which is pretty thick for veneer. I tried the iron on heat lock method on my custom rf7 center channel, but did not care for it. The only downside to contact cement is once one piece comes into contact with another there is no moving it so it has to be lined up on the money the first time. The use of dowel rods in between the veneer and substrate highly help in the aligning of the veneer. As far as the filling in the dings before applying the contact cement I used minwax high performance woodfiller which is like bondo for wood. If you notice in the pictures I did cover up the stamped serials with veneer, but I have the klipsch tag off the back for one of the speakers as the other did not have one. You can go here to read up on the type of veneer used. http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/products.html Look at the construction of the 22.2 paper backed veneer.

Jeff,

I live in Fort Wayne and will be going to a Cubs game on Aug 30th and staying downtown. If you want to save a trip and are agreable, I can take them as far as Downtown Chicago for you. Time for me to pay it forward to another forum member for all the help I have received.

KAK

email me if interested