Cornwalls:To Veneer or Not

Hello All, I have a pair of 1969 decorator vertical cornwalls. They are built with what looks like fur plywood, they are stained with a lacquer finish, they have a few gouges that need to be filled in before I do anything. I've considered having them veneered but I am worried that the uneven plywood surface will eventually result in a wavy surface. While at home depot the other day I ran across 1/4" oak plywood, very nice looking but this would add weight and girth to the already large cornwalls. The other alternative is to strip them down, sand and refinish and add new grille cloth. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Phill

There are some very fine looking CW's out there as a result of good veneer jobs.

I'd stay away from adding the bulk of more plywood if you ever had the expectation of reselling them.

Refinishing can have decent results. Careful, though, that exterior birch veneer on the plywood is pretty thin.

My preference would be to have them re-veneered. For a woodworking (custom cabinet, etc.) shop, Cornwalls or Heresys would be a piece of cake. All flat panels, 90 degree angles. Oh, the best material for filling voids when painting or veneering them is Bondo.

I have taken a few classes from a guy that does Steinway pianos, but that type of work is a whole different animal than doing a speaker.

www.thomasschrunk.com

If using a backed veneer, the maple I used this time was not, it is not really difficult. Just need patience and the willingness to try. Check out Greg's website. He gives many tips to make it easier. Try it on some smaller boxes to get the feel for it and you'll never look back.

www.dcchomes.com/Mkhorn.html

Pick your veneer and practice a few times. It's not hard. Cornwalls are farly easy to work with.

Just finshed a couple of CBR's. Used a very nice piece of birch with an outstanding pattern. Cherry stain and they look very good.

Couple of photos. raw veneer panels, complete without stain, sanding and edgebanding, completed and drying, and "installed" (upper pair with cane grills)

And yes!! I still want to trade the cane grills for a pair of black grills!!!