Anyone here near Fishkill, NY?

Mike Lindsey

I just started a new project for the Hudson Valley Hospital Center and will be staying in Fishkill the week of the 20th. Do we have any Forum members in that area? I generally fly in on Monday morning and fly out on Thursday night, so pobably just have Tuesday or Wednesday evening for any kind of get-together.

I believe I'm slated to spend 7 weeks there during the 24 week project, so there should be plenty of opportunities if the week of the 20th doesn't pan out.

Mike

No, I work for a consulting firm out of Andover, Ma, that specializes in Hosting, but also has a small Professional Services business. The Professional Service side implements Oracle and PeopleSoft application software. This is the side of the business I'm on, and I implement the HR suite (HR, Payroll, Benfits, Time and Labor, etc).

Mike

Fishkill in within a couple of hours from me..........Easy road connections though.........Do you know any other dates yet? Yeah, Noah is down that way, you might be abit above him..........Hard to find Forum members around here, out in western N.Y., seems to be alot of guys...........

The name of the town Fishkill

Fishkill, NY (village, FIPS 25967) Location: 41.53455 N, 73.89416 W
Population (1990): 1957 (1057 housing units)
Area: 2.3 sq km (land), 0.0 sq km (water)
Zip code(s): 12524

U.S. Gazetteer, U.S. Census Bureau

is not:

fish·kill premium.gifthinsp.pngspeaker.gif

noun

the sudden destruction of large quantities of fish, as by pollution.

Also, fish kill.

[Origin: 196065; fish + kill1thinsp.png]

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

but is derived from a combination of the two words fish kill

fish premium.gifthinsp.pngspeaker.gif

noun

any of various cold-blooded, aquatic vertebrates, having gills, commonly fins, and typically an elongated body covered with scales.

kill premium.gifthinsp.pngspeaker.gif

noun Chiefly New York State.

a channel; creek; stream; river: used esp. in place names: Kill Van Kull.

[Origin: 166070, Americanism; < D kil, MD kille channelthinsp.png]

Chicago Manual Style (CMS):

fish. Dictionary.com. Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1). Random House, Inc. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fish (accessed: August 03, 2007).

Chicago Manual Style (CMS):

kill. Dictionary.com. Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1). Random House, Inc. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/kill (accessed: August 03, 2007).

hey all,

just wanted to chime in about the 'xxx-kill' names. up in central n.y. there are a number of towns with similar names. i lived in a little town close to 'walkill' and 'peekskill' for a couple of years and as i understand it the 'kill' part is a dutch term for 'hill'. considering the dutch populated a large part of new york at one time i guess it's no surprise to find towns with dutch names up there. it's a nice part of the country, by the way. hilly with lots of trees. i was in a town called 'new paltz'.