How are LCD Projectors?

Kain

I was at a local A/V store when I saw a Sony LCD Projector on a 61" screen. It looked damn nice! Now I am thinking that I should dump getting a Sony 38" TV and get that Sony LCD Projector with the 61" screen.

This is the Sony Projector I am talking about: Sony VPL-HS1

Please tell me what you think. Smile.gif

------------------

Will be getting the following in December.

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" FD Trinitron WEGA)

Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (230V version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Sony DVP-S9000ES

VCR: Sony SLV-ED100 (HiFi VCR)

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Hi Kain,

LCD projectors are easy to set up, very bright and don't suffer from burn issues. On the downside, the "screen door" effect can be bothersome (depending on how far you are from the screen), some show rainbow effects and the bulbs can be expensive (like $400 for 1000 hours).

What sources do you plan on watching on the projector? Do you or your kids also plan on playing games on it? Will you use it for a computer? Do you have a light-controlled room? How far from the screen will you be? Do I seem nosey yet? Smile.gif Answers to all these can help in selecting an appropriate projector.

Happy holidays,

Ross

------------------

My System's Stuff

I've been using a Sony VPL-VW10HT for the last 6 months and its extraordinarily phenomenal for all sources however youve got to have a really dark (preferably pitch dark) room.

I've gone to the extent of installing electric metal shutters on two skylights and a sliding glass door/wall in order to use the system in the daytime.

The other point to consider is that the projector you're considering doesnt have 16 X 9 LCD panels whereas the Sony VPL-VW10HT does and this could be a big factor for quality.

Lastly, one must consider globe life and replacement costs.

The Sony VPL-VW10HT and the Sony VPL-VW11HT (latest model but I believe both still available) require globe replacement after different numbers of hours of usage and this isnt cheap!

I've been using a Sony VPL-VW10HT for the last 6 months and its extraordinarily phenomenal for all sources however youve got to have a really dark (preferably pitch dark) room.

I've gone to the extent of installing electric metal shutters on two skylights and a sliding glass door/wall in order to use the system in the daytime.

The other point to consider is that the projector you're considering doesnt have 16 X 9 LCD panels whereas the Sony VPL-VW10HT does.

The Sony VPL-HS1 creates 16 X 9 images electronically and this could be a big factor for image quality.

Lastly, one must consider globe life and replacement costs.

The Sony VPL-VW10HT and the Sony VPL-VW11HT (latest model but I believe both still available) require globe replacement after different numbers of hours of usage and this isnt cheap!

Having said all this I changed from a 55 rear projection Sony and wouldnt even hesitate to recommend the front projection image and quality.

Regards

Darryl

Having said all this I changed from a 55 rear projection Sony and wouldnt even hesitate to recommend the front projection image and quality.

Regards

Darryl

Kain,

One of the main reasons that I went with a front projection is you can have a much large picture than with a rear. Demoing it on a 61" screen is kinda of small for a front projector. At that width you would not notice the screendoor effect very much. I'd ask them to project onto a much larger screen for you.

I demoed both LCD and DLP projectors and like the DLP much better. They have a higher contrast rates, better blacks and little or no screen door effect (generally speaking of course, your millage may vary).

I bought the Infocus because of the better blacks, no screen door and because I cannot completely control the light in the room I needed a little brighter projector.

Here is a link

http://www.projectorcentral.com/consultants_corner.cfm?ci=home_theater

that has alot of information about projectors.

------------------

Paul Ward

my home theater www.brookesbakersurveyors.com/klipschht.htm

• Like 1

Sorry, I am new to Front Projectors, but what is this screendoor effect?

------------------

Will be getting the following in December.

Home Theater:

Display: Sony VPL-HS1 LCD Projector w/61" screen

Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (230V version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Sony DVP-S9000ES

VCR: Sony SLV-ED100 (HiFi VCR)

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Good morning, Kain.

Since you've added the projector to your signature, I'm guessing you like it! They *are* fun. I couldn't see myself going back to rear-projection again.

The term screen door effect refers to the square grid pattern of the pixel grid. When looking at the displayed picture, especially on a light colored scene, you may see a series of fine vertical and horizontal black lines creating a very small pattern of squares as if the picture were being shone through a piece of bug screen material. The pattern may be really pronounced and obvious, or you may not see it at all, depending on your viewing distance and the projected size.

As Paul correctly mentions black levels in the picture can also be an issue, but that may be improved with a slightly gray screen. DLPs are traditionally better at blacks than are LCDs.

Ultimately, the only way to know for sure if you'll like the picture is to try the projector on your screen in your environment. Will the dealer let you try it at home? If not, there are some projector forums with great info. AV Sciences Forum comes to mind.

Enjoy the big screen!

Ross

------------------

My System's Stuff

I had the chance to have a NEC LT150 DLP for a month.With complete light control it was better than my 52"RCA RPTV.They can be had for around 3 grand and less.Like Ross said AVS has many answers,many!

Mine was far from perfict because of the source,Sony non progresive scan with RGB out.The screen used was DIY.Curtain black out material from the local cloth store.Had about $20 in it.

The NEC used with Dalite's High Power screen and even just a good progresive scan DVD(Toshiba)would give you a picture that would beat the LCD and half the price.The NEC is not quite,but the picture makes up for it.I never found the noise level a problem.

Sony's VW 11 just out is better than the VW 10.

A friend had the VW10 for a while but sold it soon after he got the NEC LT150.

Just my 2 cents worth

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns w/ALKs,

'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides

2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 15" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.

Dishnetwork Echostar 4700 w/DD

JVC S7600U S-VHS

Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Room size;15.5 X 25' opening into dining room.

Old RCA 52"RPTV w/matching cabinets

106"16:9 screen w/NEC LT150 front projector

Bed room HT:

KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

Cornwall Is for music only

Denon AVR-2800,

Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR,Panasonic DVD-RV31.

27"RCA

bottom line... how much does a screen of 40-65 inches cost? that is what i want to know at least LoL!

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

I have a Vidikron Epoch D600 LCD projector. Been using it for over a year with a 1.5 gain Vu-lite fixed mount 100" screen. This projector blows away the Sonys and at 12' from the screen, the "screen door" effect isn't visible. SOurces are DVD and DirecTV, DirecTv HD and OA HDTV. All are spectacular pictures. I have yet to build mattes to frame my letter box material. But if you're enjoying the movie the not quite black isn't bad. Just my opinion though.

------------------

KLF30 mains

RSW15 Subwoofer

KLFC7 center

KLF30 side surrounds

KSW200 Subwoofer

KG3.5 rear surrounds

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV09

Pioneer Elite PDF19

RCA DTC100 DSS/HDTV

Sony Playstation 2

Denon MD1000

Vidikron Epoch D600

Vutec 100" 4:3 1.5 gain

how much how much how much LoL! haha, just joking... seriously though.. how much Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150